• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

At least the skid plates did their job, so your exhaust wasn't squished or ripped off by the rock(s).

that is exactly how I am looking at it James - I'm happy that my skid plate took the damage and not my header / downpipe (whatever you call it). The exhaust has a tiny spot rubbed on it from the drive out of the trail, otherwise zero damage to it.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working towards my Dana 60F and 4:56 gears. After a year in the yard, and salvaging a few parts like the bush guard and the steering box / frame brace, the 'Gray Truck' was ready for her last home. We drove it on the trailer, then took the transfer case off (I'm swapping mine out, mine leaks too much), and a large distribution panel from the engine compartment. She has since gone to her new home where the chap wants the bed and the engine. The axles are coming back shortly for my build. He unloaded the truck by towing with a fork lift. This work was spread over the last several weeks.

post-247-0-14851200-1348571087_thumb.jpg

You will notice in the previous post I have no driver side mirror. I've started to paint the last of the chrome on the truck black. I've always hated chrome................ And the black on yellow looks so good! Again, this was done mostly during August, just after Bridgewater.

The rain gutter covers.

post-247-0-66241600-1348571277_thumb.jpg

The drivers door mirror.

post-247-0-81496000-1348571303_thumb.jpg

The mirrors are sitting on the bottom side of a '55 Willy's body, that is what is in the garage and our next project to finish and free up the garage!

No room in the yard to pick away at it? Or you afraid Holly will burn it on you if it sticks around :P ? Probably for her sake, it would be best to start over later on a new rig, after the last trip, lol!

No room here or the tools here, safer at the folks. Any garage time I would have had this winter is now gone.Dad bought a camper to work on over the winter, so it'll be in the garage. well most of it, 2' longer than garage.

Nah Holly doesn't blame simple at all, just the faulty connection from throttle to steering wheel. :toothless:

Honestly everything but the ground wire was all stuff I planned to change anyways when I could.Only actual damage to me was the frame being twisted, but easy fix. If I had my own garage to put it in and leave in while I work on it, it wouldnt be for sale, it'd been torn apart and halfway back together by now.

No room here or the tools here, safer at the folks. Any garage time I would have had this winter is now gone.Dad bought a camper to work on over the winter, so it'll be in the garage. well most of it, 2' longer than garage.

Nah Holly doesn't blame simple at all, just the faulty connection from throttle to steering wheel. :toothless:

Honestly everything but the ground wire was all stuff I planned to change anyways when I could.Only actual damage to me was the frame being twisted, but easy fix. If I had my own garage to put it in and leave in while I work on it, it wouldnt be for sale, it'd been torn apart and halfway back together by now.

Good thing for you, she doesn't hold grudges... you will wheel again! ;) . You can always come and ride shotgun with somebody, to get out on the trails sometime, till you have another rig.

wouldn't it have been easier to cut some new keys?

Tried, The only key I got is so bent that the copy does not work, Plus only my driver side and ignition works with this key, Passenger side handle is busted ( someone tried to pry it open to break in ) and so is the trunk. It was only less then 20$ each for 2 new handles and a new ignition lock with 2 keys each. I would had to get new tumblers and a lock smith to make me keys. Stupid VW. Almost as bad as my old caviler I had 4 keys for 1 car, trunk, driver side door, passenger side door and ignition all had its own key.

Also same place has Rear lower/upper control arm bushings for my 4runner @ 17.97 a piece vs Toyota Dealership at 56$ a piece ( Adds up when you got 8 to change ) Help me on my winter 4x4 rebuild ( come out fresh for spring with ALL new bushings, backing plate etc )

well, getting the DRL to work didnt work all that well...

hahahah, must be a jeep thing !

Can turn key off and take it out and the truck will stay running until headlights are turned off..

well, getting the DRL to work didnt work all that well...

hahahah, must be a jeep thing !

Can turn key off and take it out and the truck will stay running until headlights are turned off..

Sounds like my VW, Wont shut off if its in reverse ( FYI its a standard ) I can pull out the key and throw it on the ground, it will still be running untill I throw it in Neutral.

Doesn't Jeeps have something it wont shut off unless the ebrake is on? I know at my old shop we had a JK ( Standard ) and I had to move it to get a car out, started it, drove it out, went to shut it off and it wouldn't shut down. I had to stall it out to shut it off, till I was told the ebrake had to be on for the Jeep to shut off.

Instead of Scott X2 couldn't we call them thing 1 and thing 2?

Yeah I had to take the ebrake assembly apart, clean it up and re assemble it, I noticed it been sticking, noticed a burr on the plastic coating that was sticking inside the casing. Then realized this is why i was getting terrible mileage, I was dragging the rear drums.

Then when I started it up Id get a awful rattle at startup. Dam exhaust is bent, so hitting the frame. Went to push it back up, and started to hear the damn noise of rust breaking, so gonna need a new muffler and pipe lol ( 1 every 2 years )

Cannot wait till winter to rebuild it.

Then when I started it up Id get a awful rattle at startup. Dam exhaust is bent, so hitting the frame. Went to push it back up, and started to hear the damn noise of rust breaking, so gonna need a new muffler and pipe lol ( 1 every 2 years )

Gah! Someone needs to use stainless.

Archived