• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

1) Had to put a new battery in the Rogue last week.  The 3 yr old previous dealer-installed Nissan Calcium Alloy battery dropped a cell.  No warranty.  I put a Kirkland in this time.  The car didn't want to recognize the security chip on my key, I thought the ignition was going to lock me out after two tries, until I locked /unlocked the doors.   I'd have had to CAA it to the dealer for a reprogram!

2) The power steering is acting up in the Subaru.  Currently waiting for an o-ring on the inlet side of the pump.  Let's air in.

3) Scout!  Spent 3 hours farting around with an old, bent steering wheel puller and without the correct adapter bolts.  Threaded some rod, etc.

Ended up borrowing a puller from the PartSource loan program.  Sooooooooo nice, with all the adapters.  Took 30 seconds to get the wheel off.  Now trying to get the 'lock' plate off.  Scout tilt steering columns don't have steering lock, so the regular lock plate removal tool doesn't work.  I'm making an adapter though.  Google and Scout forums are good for this stuff!

Oh I almost forgot!  Scout!  I unhooked the choke plate from the throttle linkage and adjusted the half-assed manual choke on it and I think it works!  It did the first and only drive so far at least!  This would be something, not having to wait 15 minutes for it to warm up before she would take ANY throttle at all! (She'd idle just fine no matter how cold.)  (Fuel mixture may be a bit on the lean side.)  Noooo idea about spark timing advance! lol

Trying to get the Scout more enjoyable and safer to drive.  Choke!  Better mirrors!  Turn signal switch (left rear brake/turn signal light)! Get the rear seat to fold up properly!  Plug the former AC mount holes in the floor!  And then Hardtop for the 'tourist shoulder seasons', lol.

So I needed/wanted wheels this morning. Scout was the only possible choice!

Put the air cleaner back on, I had it off when adjusting the choke.

Put the steering wheel back on.  Couldn't remember how to install the horn button.  Okay, I'll go without it for now.

AND I sprayed a bunch of WD40 on the Turn Signal Switch contacts.  That may remediate my turn signal problem, but I still plan to take it apart and install the new one anyway.  And change the ignition cylinder.

Hooked the battery back up.  I always leave it unhooked in the Sub and Scout. And when working on electrical!

Pulled the choke, pumped the accelerator, and she fired first crack!  Cracked the choke open a bit and she ran just fine! Cracked it open too much and she stalled!  Left it closed too much and she stalled. lol

There will be a bit of a learning curve there. But she accelerated when cold, on the road!  Woo Hoo!

(After working on the Subaru for a few minutes yesterday and today, which went very well, once I corrected my mistakes...........)

Took the steering wheel off the Scout again.  Less than a minute.  Made an adapter to relieve the pressure on the upper snap ring (similar to working with a lock plate) and using the lock plate remover tool that came with the steering wheel remover kit, got the snap ring off.

Removed the turn signal switch!  Without any great hiccup!

Removed the ignition lock cylinder!  Without any great hiccup!

(Then did some more tree pruning.  Third time and last time for this year.  After leaf-on next year when we can see what more is needed, will do a bit more!)

I will get back at the Scout in a few days.........

My bro texted me last night I can have the garage until 4 pm Nov. 10th.

And I haven't made it over yet....

Here's hoping............

I suspect I can have it again for a few days starting late on the 13th or the 14th...............

Cleaning all winch electronical connections (two dozen when you have the old-school solenoid pack), took the 4 not-wired-yet auxiliary lights off the bush guard, aired up the tires (one leaks and showed 0 lbs), started prepping some minor body repairs.  Last night, in the big garage!

:-)

Oh, I wish I'd do things right the first time!  It would save a lot of time!

Scout Update:  Slipped the new ignition lock cylinder in no problem.  Slipped the new Turn Signal Switch in no problem, even threading the connecor down the steering column. I expected trouble with both.

Put it back together right up to, but not including the steering wheel, yet.  So I could take the steering wheel remover kit back. (After using the lock plate remover tool to preload the upper bearing spring retainer, yada, yada, yada.)

Tested the turn, brake, and tail light.  No change, still not working right!  Back to square one, checking wiring!  Not today, but in the future. Wasted 4-6 hours, good experience though.  But at my age I don't need more experience! lol

Took the steering wheel remover kit back, $90 back on my debit card!

Suburban Update:  Finished cleaning every external connection on the auxilliary battery, battery switch, winch motor, and solenoid pack.  (Yeah, you can see where I'm going with this word external!)  Winch still works both In and Out only 10% or less of the time.  With 2 solenoids for In and 2 solenoids for Out, the chances of them failing in sync is very low.  They feel good, but the only way to test them is to take each one off and test it independently.  When one fails, it means you will only have In or Out.  Not all or nothing.

So.........  my wife says you don't really need the winch for the run, right?  Of course not, but I hate showing up to the rodeo with only half my gear!  I'd rather ride with someone else or walk and take pictures!  Fixing a winch can't be that hard, but I am running out of time................

Took the upper gear box half and motor off.  Quick.  Separated them and opened the motor.  Quick .  (Then I remembered having to do this before, when I used to leave the vinyl cover on in our damp climate.)  Ahh, things look a bit rough!  But it used to still work with a bit of oxidation and mould..........  But 3 of the brushes(?) at the end of the shaft are stuck in place, not floating.  I bet that is the main problem right there.  They will free up easy enough and we have lots of 'contact cleaner' around for the rest.  Fingers crossed!  If not, I have two more motors kicking around......  At least one is dry inside the garage!  They are a slighly different generation though, but I suspect interchangeable.  Just how the gear is splined on the end of the shaft.

Why oh why am I *******' with the motor when I need to get the body done.  Because!

IMG_4004.thumb.JPG.6a8e4a895bdc854e4f255578600b391c.JPG

IMG_4005.thumb.JPG.1619879bdab1eedc5119bb85e217d741.JPG

Lower left solenoid is non-Warn and not the right industry part.  So I had to adjust the copper bars to fit.  Last summer.  Also that solenoid doesn't ground through the case, so I had to run a separate ground from the second small terminal.  If you've ever dealt with solenoids, you know what I mean!  I got this one free so the price was right.  It's hard to find the industry number for the ones Warn used.  I have some on other winches that we're not using, but I didn't have them with me when I did this repair last summer.

IMG_4006.thumb.JPG.494b7db574b88428145f714ae0445998.JPG

I was hoping this would be the last re-install of the solenoid pack!  But it wasn't.

IMG_4008.thumb.JPG.2e2a56769b193c816cd973376ca5c8a8.JPG

Little rough looking.......... worse in real life!

IMG_4009.thumb.JPG.01df258ece36cfdca121528b6ca76a6c.JPG

I don't know for sure what will come apart for cleaning and what won't!

IMG_4011.thumb.JPG.6225c6f955c3657bdc20472bbc0cef05.JPG

Three brushes(?) at the bottom (one in shadow, at 11 o'clock), stuck, whereas they usually slide out like the one at 8 o'clock.  They

are accessable from the other end and easy to free-up.

IMG_4012.thumb.JPG.2b0f23b6fef0db508eddda28be9999b0.JPG

Picture rotated.  Parts laid out on the floor till I get at 'er again.

IMG_4013.thumb.JPG.d83e989db1086a8d160881440ea8fb5b.JPG

Scout Update:

Re-installed steering wheel and horn button.  Scout working well (my bro has my car) with manual choke and a manual fast idle!  (I have to pull the steering wheel off again. I re-installed it off-centre and it doesn't seat all the way and is very annoying to drive! lol)

Suburban:

Straightened the tie-rod the most common way.  With the winch! The pipe kept the wire off the sharp edge of the fairlead and the chain kept the hook at the bend in the rod.

Had to work on the front driveshaft.  Some pictures lost.  The grease collar seal had been pushed back off the stub and on to the main part of the driveshaft.  Both grease nipples on the stub shaft are sheared off.  And a big scar on the stub shaft.  Rock crawlin' I guess!  It took a bit of BFH work to dissassemble it and hold everything straight to reassemble it.  Then do it much quicker the second time because I had forgot to line up the yokes! lol

Gettin' her ready for Saturday!

5E60D229-040E-4AD1-996F-E6EB66D809B4.thumb.jpeg.80caf7327c9191cc954d38fa8861e174.jpeg

173FA87B-3884-4A74-9DDF-9DA61FFDB9F8.thumb.jpeg.e748370c4eba048a2d76edc2828a46c5.jpeg

FF81F886-40A7-419D-8D21-AB75190C32FE.thumb.jpeg.a2a6fb350abb93552155d0d0a82c6d70.jpeg

While working on the Burb today I had an epiphany and checked Scout.  The PO (previous owner) had replaced the LR brake/turn signal pigtail socket, and reversed the brake/turn signal wire with the tail light wire.  I switched them back and my lights now work properly!  I thought of that a few months ago but didn’t troubleshoot it correctly until today while fixing loose ground connections and dirty bulb connections on the Burb.  The fun of working with old stuff......

Ahhh, the lights work on Scout!  Woo Hoo!

Now back to the driveshaft on the Burb!

Tuesday and today finished topping up leaking fluids, topping up a leaky tire, topping up a failing battery, fixing rear lights, re-installing front driveshaft, tightened alternator belt, threw all the tools and stuff inside in a nasty pile.

Truck is 'tres' dirty, especially inside.  I think there's green moss growing on the seats even! She may get a cleaning next year.....

Oh yeah had to suture a fender flare........... and re-install a bunch of missing screws on all four.  Noticed the LF fender is out of alignment with the door,  oh well, another day!

IMG_4028.thumb.JPG.9269b1951efbece9ddf51517633acd89.JPG

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎17 at 12:01 AM, sar4x4 said:

Tuesday and today finished topping up leaking fluids, topping up a leaky tire, topping up a failing battery, fixing rear lights, re-installing front driveshaft, tightened alternator belt, threw all the tools and stuff inside in a nasty pile.

Truck is 'tres' dirty, especially inside.  I think there's green moss growing on the seats even! She may get a cleaning next year.....

Oh yeah had to suture a fender flare........... and re-install a bunch of missing screws on all four.  Noticed the LF fender is out of alignment with the door,  oh well, another day!

IMG_4028.thumb.JPG.9269b1951efbece9ddf51517633acd89.JPG

Holy Zip Tie Batman 

Archived