• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Ellershouse run I broke the fancy snorkel hat, it pulled off on a tree and then I drove over it. That left it acting like a flared funnell for debris. Here is a before with the hat, and now after I changed the elbow , nice and low profile. Bottom is the before pic

IMG_20170322_085607629.jpg

IMG_20170322_085615435.jpg

IMG_20160825_190017.jpg

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jay said:

nice! are you gonna bother routing it to under the wind deflector ?

Think I'm going to leave it as is for now, it has good angle so not to suck up any rain or snow, going to make a grid cap to cover the opening so it doesn't suck up leaves and sticks or other debris of that nature

• 3 weeks later...

Why did the Jeep need boosting? That's not good.

I haven't done anything yet, but make promises to myself and dream! lol  When the late afternoon and evening sun came around to my drvieway, and the weather was warm the last couple of days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tinkerin' time is coming!  (For the most part after my SAR E2C the first weekend in May.  I am soo busy with it  right now!

Fixed the play in Jessy's pinion. I was pretty sure it was just the crush sleeve causing it, so I ordered a shim kit to replace it with.  I caught it early enough all the bearings were still good and I managed to get the right combination of shims on the first try :)

• 1 month later...

So anyone who was at coffee tonight may have heard me talking about how the slacker is always broken. It's kind of like the rotsun from roadkill, never fails to fail. Well it blew a brake line leaving the parking lot in fall river. Back to the Jeep for now

Spoiler alert:  I didn't work on any of my rigs!

On the weekend my wife wanted us to clean out the garage.  OKAY by me!  Then I will have some room to set up my work bench, yada, yada, yada!  It's a nightmare in there now!

So we.........

Stripped and painted two small decks and some trim on the townhouse she has for sale, and cleaned up the landscaping, and

went shopping and hauled slate 'paving' stones for our house.  (See my other post today 'Do I need a truck?'.)

Now I remember why I used to rent! lol

Swapped the OEM front coilovers under the X. Ordered a rebuilt kit for both front Radlos. 8 years & 80k kms later, the cost is less than $100 for the re-build kits ;).

I have a mean Roaster stance now that the front has dropped 3" ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Did an oil change and tire rotation today. Almost got smacked in the face by an 5lb siren speaker and angle iron lol. Mechanics moved it when they replaced my bumper awhile back, didn't tell me though!

Changed my diff oil as well which came out looking like milk........

Radflo's re-built. Such a simple design. 1 set screw; remove the threaded collar ring; pull the shaft assembly out; replace 4 rubber 0-rings; set the air-oil piston depth; fill with oil and re-assemble. Total process took less than an hour per shock ;) 

Spoiler alert: I did not work directly on a truck!

I did start my workbench in my garage tonight!  Since I have a large number of 7' 2x4s, the top is built as 7' long(wide) and the legs will likely be 42".

Keep the wastage down!

Pic to follow, maybe!

Someday maybe I'll show the transition of the kitchen and the garage.  Yes, they're related!

Bench top frame leaning against the wall.IMG_3257.thumb.JPG.070d7eb1574521664e4b6e6a98278c0b.JPG

The snowblower tucks down into the fetal position, just like when it was shipped, by removing 3 wing nuts and two cotter pins.  I plan to let it and the Fathers Day shop vac gestate under the bench.  I'll put a drop cloth on the blower.  The garage will be a myriad of storage ideas when finished.  

IMG_3258.thumb.JPG.488da329023c0839bfe9048bb176b3f5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

(Been working on that bench occasionally!  ALMOST done!)

Started at the Sub yesterday!  Looks doable by Thursday night!  Couple minor repairs and maintenance, and some cleaning.  Cleaned a cu. ft. or more of mud from underneath yesterday.  I hate working on a vehicle, taking it for inspection, going camping, etc in a vehicle that has been through a mud bog!  Lol  Sawdust mud was crammed into and on body mounts, body cavities, rear bumper, inside fenders, wiring looming, brake lines, etc. etc.  Maybe some maintenance pics tonight.

Today, after running mom and dad around to different doctors lol, I managed to get some side warning lights installed (more to come).

Pulled my door panels off and ran wiring through the factory holes so she's nice and clean. 

IMG_20170712_133821.thumb.jpg.0dc930d603c278c20c625141df654c3e.jpg

This thing was a pain to get the wires through!

IMG_20170712_133826.thumb.jpg.748fec5b1ba2e5879fa0194e3504f9a2.jpg

30 minutes ago, Command said:

This thing was a pain to get the wires through!

I'll bet!  I'm dreaming of putting side marker and/or signal lights on my mirrors.  It's a full size truck after all, lol.  And even little cars have them now.

I would run wiring as you did.  Although my Burb didn't have any power in the doors, the knockouts are in the door jamb (frame) and the door itself, and I have a set of bellows/conduit/looming or whatever it's called from a parts truck.

And I have lots of other dreams.  I should start a new thread "What I want to do to my truck today!". lol

Technically my first post.... but I got my frozen front driveline apart today for my 4runner. Winch wouldn't budge it so I resorted to the press and a custom seperator.  Cleaned the rust off the splines on the female end and it somewhat slides now. Glad to have 4wd again!

IMG_6479.JPG

IMG_6496.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG

2 hours ago, 89runner said:

Technically my first post.... but I got my frozen front driveline apart today for my 4runner. Winch wouldn't budge it so I resorted to the press and a custom seperator.  Cleaned the rust off the splines on the female end and it somewhat slides now. Glad to have 4wd again!

IMG_6496.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG

But, what is this clean shop floor, square tube hanging around the shop, clean welds, and a big press?  I've never seen such a shop except in 'picture books'!  lol

Quite the adapter you head to fab for the press!

How did you clean the female splines?

Welcome to the club!

Archived