• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changed my front and rear differential fluids, 155K on the old stuff. Fianlly changed a ball joint. Long story, CTC changed my upper right last May but something wasn't right. It seemed that the upper control arm had been inverted in the process, a simple mistake. After fighting with the store for almost 3 months, the mechanic finally and begrudgingly fixed it. Now it appears that he re-used the same ball joint. I was in at Clayt's Off-Road a month ago for something and Jason told me the ball joint was bad. CTC reluctantly gave me a new one but I wasn't letting them install it. Clayt's took the old one out (cut the stem) and the new one was a little loose so Jason had to weld it in place. We're thinking that CTC reamed out the hole. And the old one was obviously bad.

post-690-0-31240000-1365704180_thumb.jpg

Going to try uploading some pictures here...

Some time ago I twisted a rear axle shaft. This is what's was left of the axle, stub axle and wheel bearing adjuster nut:

post-710-0-83590600-1366035256_thumb.jpgpost-710-0-76720800-1366035155_thumb.jpg

And the fix:

post-710-0-70123200-1366035320_thumb.jpgpost-710-0-76675800-1366035341_thumb.jpg

Time to upgrade the blower motor (small child or ashmatic weasal to near leaf blower):

post-710-0-54867100-1366035419_thumb.jpgpost-710-0-70373100-1366035405_thumb.jpg

I discovered that the bit the front ubolts go through (and bottom of shocks bolt to) had a very pronounced downward bend.. also some cracks. Figured out that the shocks installed by the previous owner were way to long:

post-710-0-89064800-1366035569_thumb.jpg

Took off the aluminum sills.... they are just cosmetic and wre getting pretty scratched up. And I found a lot less than I should have where the bulkhead attaches to the frame outrigger on the driver's side. In came a temporary fix (bulkhead job is on the plate for next winter. Before and after:

post-710-0-53850400-1366035723_thumb.jpgpost-710-0-67369500-1366035739_thumb.jpg

Figured since I was having so much fun, I'd clean up the windscreen frame and the rain gutter to apply some cold galvanising spray. Two hours of papering and taping for 2 minutes of spraying. Can also sort of see in the second blurry picture where I removed the dinky trailer marker lights that the previous owner had installed:

post-710-0-63601500-1366035858_thumb.jpgpost-710-0-69931600-1366035881_thumb.jpg

Inspired by finding out the 4 in amber signal light lenses are only available from one place at $55 each... I decided to protect them. Custom made light guards. Made out of 4"x4" galvenized grating for reinforcing concrete floors and such:

post-710-0-76384200-1366036048_thumb.jpg

And just for fun, a little bit stuck:

post-710-0-31913700-1366036103_thumb.jpg

Now just need to get her home in time for Bump n grind on sunday!!

I almost forgot... Threw some diff guards on to'er too!!

Just need to get'er home, spring engine oil change, install the electronic bits into the distributor (do away with points and condensor!) Then it ought to be good to go for a while!

ohhh wow old school points and condensor.......can ya even buy them replacement parts anymore .......ohhh nice work on the light guards adam ....

Thanks! And yes, points and condensors for the Landie are readily available... well... online available. That being said, I've been told there is a shop in Halifax that specializes in old british stuff where I could get dizzy bits from as the same dizzy appeared in lots of different vehicles (current installed dizzy is actually from a french manufacturer...) But just can't say it's for a land rover, apparently they don't do old Land Rovers!

you may be thinking "village green" there over by our head office on nova lea drive...also there was a shop out by bedford commons but they moved specializing in forigen makes even the old good ones .

This isn't so much what I did to my rig today as more what I did for it. Just ordered the SmittyBilt Compact Air System from Peck's. Looked a lot at compressor systems, both on-board and portable and decided this is what will work best for me. One tank will inflate my 32" tires from 12lb to 32lb in a little over 20sec. per tire, and last for 6-7 trail runs per charge.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/84.htm

post-690-0-54915200-1366055500_thumb.jpg

you may be thinking "village green" there over by our head office on nova lea drive...also there was a shop out by bedford commons but they moved specializing in forigen makes even the old good ones .

Perhaps. To be fair, I have never even tried to contact them. I've just been told by other Series Rover owners that they don't care for us!

Drive by Village Green a lot, and they seem to be quite the garage, always clean and tidy, nothing in the yard, and a sweet mustang in the front window :D usually means big money spent there.

its a FERRARI

and they whear

light beage cuveralls...

Is it really? Hmmmm always thought it was weird seeing a stang in the showroom. I will have to check this out more closely lol.

On another note installed clutch and transmission into the jeep, today is crossmember, driveshafts and a few other pieces and then break in run.

This isn't so much what I did to my rig today as more what I did for it. Just ordered the SmittyBilt Compact Air System from Peck's. Looked a lot at compressor systems, both on-board and portable and decided this is what will work best for me. One tank will inflate my 32" tires from 12lb to 32lb in a little over 20sec. per tire, and last for 6-7 trail runs per charge.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/84.htm

So how do these work is it compressed gas? If so where and how much is it to refill the tank

Archived