• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Not sure about the windshield mirror.  Proper glue has let go twice, and then I used a double-side tape style.  But it falls off when it gets hot with the sun beating on the windshield in the driveway!  Put it back on when it's cool and you can't pry it off!

Try this stuff from 3M http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-exterior-mounting-tape-0676065p.html#srp

It is ridiculous once it bonds.

18 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

And then rear view mirrors.  I hate the ones on the A-Pillar.  Too small, can't adjust them right, the drivers door bump the LH mirror when open, Deb lowers the RH sunvisor and obstructs my view, and the damn windshield mirror keeps falling off.

'Ferd' style door mirrors going on.  Not sure about the windshield mirror.  Proper glue has let go twice, and then I used a double-side tape style.  But it falls off when it gets hot with the sun beating on the windshield in the driveway!  Put it back on when it's cool and you can't pry it off

you could change the type of inside mirror to one that would screw into the sheet metal on the inside just above the windsheild like this one

319S+fCGeYL._SY355_.jpg

Please post where you found that Matt!  That's what I want, my upper windshield frame is perfect for that.    I did a quick search yesterday and couldn't find a 'generic' one with a flat base/mount, the ones I saw had curves for a 1962 Saab or Corvette, etc or plastic covers for some current model cars.

It certainly is all in the search term! I wasn't using the jeep term.  Now I have to look in a TJ and check it out!

Then I may have to buy something else at Amazon to get over the $25 free shipping threshold, lol.

Finally got new struts on :) Noticed on the way home that the front end rattles like crazy, mostly on the drivers side.  It didn't before replacing, so getting that looked at tomorrow.......

Changed a clicking axle on the family rig and noticed my rear driveshaft u-joints were getting bad. Turns out they were the factory joints (held in by the plastic you have to melt out), not bad for a 2003 tahoe with 319,000 km on it.

Finally took the ford for a trail run today, also hooked up the winch and respooled it so it is ready to rock. Put the big Michelin's on, Need to upgrade the radiator, had to run with the heater on full and the hood popped and that would maintain 200deg. Also holy smokes, the flies that pull skin when they bite, they were lifting the truck into the air, never seen so many and viscous they were, so windows hard up with heater full on, made a nicer sauna than a truck, we were almost naked when we made it back to pavement haha. Was a good run, one really tight spot that defied physics, made it through without any damage , but not sure, looked like it was going to bite the front corner and opposite box side . Wow , I dont think I'd be lucky enough to make it in the same spot again. Was fun, then stopped at a buddies on the way home. Only pic I have is of the respooled winch,  ready to winch stuck victims haha.

IMG_20160726_215026314.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Played with the Scout, Suburban and Subaru for a couple of hours.  Started by tidying up the insides of the Scout and Burb!

On the Scout I removed some more of the never-to-function-again AC equipment from the engine bay, and installed a couple of screws to replace a broken fastener on the soft top.

On the Subaru I re-fastened some loose and rattling heat shields, and replaced a engine-to-frame ground strap that disintegrated.

On the Suburban I removed a couple cu. feet of dirt from underneath (in prep for MVI and bolt checks), and replaced a solenoid on the winch controller.  I had no power-out.  Also re-spooled the cable.

I also started scraping off some disintegrating decals (10+ years old) and a Rancho shock decal, since I have all Bilsteins now.  The Rancho sticker was fine even after 15 years!

And I screwed down some instruction plates that the Krown had softened the glue.  The screws I had lying around were a bit big, lol.

Poor pics.  And I don't have one of the replaced solenoid.  It is a slightly different style, but more easily sourced.

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

A neighbour gave me the solenoid and it wasn't a 'direct' replacement.  The mounting holes were the same, good, but it was a different height so I had to bend the copper bus bars linking it to the others to fit.  As well, it required a ground wire, the case was isolated.  The wire was included!  But it was okay as I know I can do it again if necessary.  Funny though, we have two other 8274 winches not being used and I have salvaged a solenoid from them before.  But they are all getting old.  And they were a 15 minute drive away.  It was supposedly a Ford starter relay replacement, it was a Delco Remy. All good, but I would love to know a part number for a direct replacement!

I pulled off the right rear fender flare today so I could check out the rust spots that were starting to show.  I had to cut off three of the bolts as they were just spinning.  The rust wasn't too bad, so I sanded it down and sprayed some rust paint on it for now.  I was able to use my new rivnut tool to replace the three threaded inserts. :)  

Think I broke an axle in the 9" last night, made it home , and it is the only 9" I have around, so might just swap in a 8.8 for now till I get some parts accumulated for the 9"  gonna be Friday before I can look at it. 

6 minutes ago, Lil'monster said:

I might have an axle for you there is a 9 sitting on my shop floor right now . It isnt mine but he might be interested letting parts go off it

cool, let me know, im thinking I'm needing driver side shaft, but not 100% sure , possible the locker failed, no noises at all, only delivering power to pass side. Gonna be Friday before I get a chance to jack it up and yank the shafts out 

38 minutes ago, Lil'monster said:

20160822_194428.jpg

Ok well Guy would take $100 for housing and axles he just want the 3rd member it is 31 spline

OK, thanks, great deal but I'll have to pass till the first of the month (payday) my axle still good but locker silently failed. 

I'll take them if he can wait till the first of Sept.

Archived