• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

My truck caught fire today!

Trans line was leaking i fixed that by tightening the clamps i wiped most of the fluid but I guess I missed some the very hot cat must of caught the fluid on fire then the rubber hose went up too.  And I may of burnt my face while trying to put it out.  

The truck is OK ish at my place.  Trans is acting up now hoping it's just the burnt fluid. Going to drain it and look inside refill and hopen for the best. 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not too bad.  I still went to work this afternoon in my buddies car. He's at sea for 2 weeks so I have wheels while he's gone.  

Going to finally get the proper line ordered for this thing. I'm done with this trail fix.  

Yeah this worse than the normal acting up from wrong fluid level.  I've delt with that before.  But I also smell burning when the truck is running.  So the fluid is probably toast.  Hoping nothing internal burnt though. 

Bump & Grind is coming up...I couldn't hit it without backup, now could it?

TBH, CT got me as I was getting gear oil....$379 for a Superwinch LP8500. I figured my M8000 is gonna cost me $200+ for a new motor, plus an end bearing, plus the winch line has some damage, plus the free spool lever was locked up, plus whatever else I find once I start digging into trying to fix it. OK, a refurbished M8000 is better than new LP8500, but, I paid on my RBC Visa which automatically gets me 2 years no BS warranty. I even think the winch has a 2 yr warranty too. So this saves me a lot of hassle...it was a no-brainer.

I know there are complaints about where these cheap Superwinch's are designed/made, but we'll see how well it lasts over the next 2 years of abuse :)

I might even rewire it for my wireless remote ;)

IMG_20160518_113314.jpg

Went to Kenny's to hopefully find a trans cooler line I could use.  Found this on a Grand Cherokee. Not an exact match but will work and will be much less ghetto than what is on there now. 

received_10157143390025105.jpeg

Also decoded to look at my air filter while I had the hood open and OMFG!!!

It was bent like that when I opened the air box.  Air washow just going past it.  There'should caked on mud on what's supposed to be the clean half of the airbox!20160520_170616.jpg20160520_170702.jpg

good to see you got something more stock...well, kinda stock, erm...oh forget it LOL

are you all working now ?

...and the air cleaner!!! damn LOL :)

I drilled out a sheered off bolt that holds the lower fender on. Now my fender isn't flappy flappy :)

Installed the old roller fairlead. And hit it with some paint.

Put tires on and filled her up with my 3KW invertor, welder, 110v drill & grinder, tools, fluids, and goodness knows what else ready for tomorrow :)

On 20/05/2016 at 8:08 PM, Brunet-Hemi said:

Went to Kenny's to hopefully find a trans cooler line I could use.  Found this on a Grand Cherokee. Not an exact match but will work and will be much less ghetto than what is on there now. 

received_10157143390025105.jpeg

Also decoded to look at my air filter while I had the hood open and OMFG!!!

It was bent like that when I opened the air box.  Air washow just going past it.  There'should caked on mud on what's supposed to be the clean half of the airbox!20160520_170616.jpg

That filter looks awesome,. Homemade snorkel time yet?

Attempted to fix my CV boot today, figured it'll be a simple task. Remove old band, put on a new one call er a day. Nope, of course not lol. Couldn't get it tight enough so it kept sliding off when I turn. Started to rain out so I'll have to try again tomorrow. Hopefully with the right tool this time. 

Replaced both axle bearings and seals.
My 1st attempt to get the bearing out failed as I only had a dent puller which I thought might do the job, but it just destroyed the old bearing carrier.

Hat's off to Partsource - I went to buy a proper axle bearing puller to fit on my slide hammer, but they just said to pay for them and bring them back for a full refund. When I questioned them on that, and how much 'rent' it would be, they said no rent. So saved myself $70 +tax :) I did buy the bearings and seals from them a few days ago...maybe that's why the free rental? IDK LOL

Anyways, neither bearings were as bad as I expected. There was a tiny bit of pitting on the rollers, but that's it. Of course I wouldn't know how worn down they are without measuring good against bad, but TBH I just wanted to get the job done :)

I took it for a spin around the cul-de-sac whilst the RTV drys, and the jury is out on the noise, but I think it's gone ......time will tell once I take it for a proper test tho.

Overall it was an easy job with the right tool...but OMG, messy with all that gear oil LOL

I also inspected the axle shafts, and they were good where the bearing rides on them, but did have a minute bit of wear on them where the seal had been riding on them....well I'm assuming it was wear.

IMG_20160523_201527.jpg

Got the diff filled with the new axle bearings and seals, and the test drive results in the same noise. At least I'm not leaking now :)

The gears have a lil' rust on the the outsides of them, but no damage or markings on the faces where the gears contact.

Archived