• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

You can see a missing side post.  That happened at 2014 EcoEndurance Challenge when the factory bottom-lip-style hold down wasn't up to the job.  And the battery jumped off...   I use over-the-top styles now.  And oh yeah, because I did the same thing at Go Anywhere Challenge 2006 and caught the engine on fire...........  That's an interesting story!  I make mistakes twice before I learn...............

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good SAR4X4

I have all the stuff I ordered in  for the engine I picked up that was "ready to run" timing set, full gasket/seal kit, new oil pump and water pump. But guess I didn't order enough parts. I don't think the oil was ever changed in this "low" milage engine. I believe it is low milage, ring ridge minimal, combustion chambers not carbined up much, probably would have never made it to high miliage. But she is in need of complete overhaul.....hmmmm

IMG_20160325_210102025.jpg

IMG_20160325_210122661.jpg

2 minutes ago, jay said:

To my untrained eye, that looks pretty gummed up! Easy to sort?

Yep, lack of oil changes will do this. Not the worst IV seen but no way am I going to use it as is. Will need .030 over bore from the quick measurements I took, crank will need to be turned,  block would have to be tanked, she needs a full rebuild, I'm not financially in a spot right now to do that. 

What I am going to do , IV got another 351cid (5.8L  for you Jay) that is a clean good engine that is efi. I'll use the 4bbl carb and intake from this non usable engine and drop onto the efi engine, along with the distributor from this engine, , IV got another engine sitting outside that I'll Rob the oil pan from and some other odds and ends, to make this all work.

6 minutes ago, jay said:

Sounds like a good plan! Must be nice to have the parts available to rob from :)

Yep, I hate not having spares haha, so I won't have a truck till sometime next week I figure, probably close to the end of next week. The rear end and wheels won't fit in the grand am. 

Jay - can we lift a rear end into the Burb?  It's actually easier than my little and my big trailer at the moment!  I could do it some evening or sometime next weekend?  Or I have a choice of pickups I can borrow.  My pickup needs part of a drivetrain, lol

45 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Jay - can we lift a rear end into the Burb?  It's actually easier than my little and my big trailer at the moment!  I could do it some evening or sometime next weekend?  Or I have a choice of pickups I can borrow.  My pickup needs part of a drivetrain, lol

Yep, I could help load it if it is needed before I get my truck on the road. 

1 hour ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

No wranglers at all. Me and Tom walked the whole lot when we were there.  

I like the standard price list too.  110 bucks for a 1/2 ton transmission :)

Any 2nd Gen Rams ?

4 hours ago, derekmac said:

I live like 10 min from there, but haven't made it over yet. Did you notice and Wranglers there?

2 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

No wranglers at all. Me and Tom walked the whole lot when we were there.  

I like the standard price list too.  110 bucks for a 1/2 ton transmission :)

I can just about guarantee you will never find a Wrangler there... And if you do, there will be virtually nothing left of it...

7 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

I can just about guarantee you will never find a Wrangler there... And if you do, there will be virtually nothing left of it...

It was very similar to Calgary pick n pull, lots of stuff, about 2000 vehicles there , lots of Cherokees , full size and xj and zj and a few wj but never any cj, tj or yj, except once, my buddie and I were looking for Chrysler Cordoba parts, minimal tools with us because we were in a Cordoba, and it was near closing time we saw a near complete yj with chrome grille, chrome bumpers, lots of fancy shiny stuff, only stuff missing was wheels, doors and top. My buddie needed yj springs for the samurai, and there was evidence of someone trying to remove the springs but failed. The yard closed, we drove home 3 hours, got my truck and departed home at 4.30 am to be there for 730 and be at the front of the line for 8 am. Brought my truck up and stripped that Jeep, we didn't bother with unbolting springs, just cut all the mounts and shackles, and everything else we took off, others tried and failed. Just have to have the will to remove it haha, oops sorry for the long story, I love stories hahah

3 hours ago, Powerram said:

It was very similar to Calgary pick n pull, lots of stuff, about 2000 vehicles there , lots of Cherokees , full size and xj and zj and a few wj but never any cj, tj or yj, except once, my buddie and I were looking for Chrysler Cordoba parts, minimal tools with us because we were in a Cordoba, and it was near closing time we saw a near complete yj with chrome grille, chrome bumpers, lots of fancy shiny stuff, only stuff missing was wheels, doors and top. My buddie needed yj springs for the samurai, and there was evidence of someone trying to remove the springs but failed. The yard closed, we drove home 3 hours, got my truck and departed home at 4.30 am to be there for 730 and be at the front of the line for 8 am. Brought my truck up and stripped that Jeep, we didn't bother with unbolting springs, just cut all the mounts and shackles, and everything else we took off, others tried and failed. Just have to have the will to remove it haha, oops sorry for the long story, I love stories hahah

I spent many a weekend afternoon there... The most entertaining thing about the place was "all you can carry for $29" days that happened twice a year, lol!

I got a fiberglass raised roof for my old Dodge Tradesman camper van. I was poking around looking for something else and saw it and was in perfect condition. I called to find out how much and they said $80... I figured that was good for its condition, so I grabbed the father in law's truck and a buddy and off we went. 4.5 hours later we were pushing it up the yard on 2 carts from the far reaches of "Dodge Land" up to he building... Got there and couldn't get it through to the checkouts, so had to go around where they bring in the cars... Go in and pay and the checkout girl said $36... SCORE!!! That includes a $10 core charge, and I had all the trim... We rushed it out and got it into the truck as fast as possible... The next weekend we cut out the roof of my van and installed the fiberglass. The next day I took the cutout back in to get my core back... They rather looked at me funny and questioned it, but I got my $10 back...

7 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Yep, 14 bolt, but not sure if it is full floater or semi float, still has center caps on the wheels

I might have to take you up on that.  I don't know much about the 14 bolt. Should it handle 40s of I put chromoloy axles in it? 

Archived