• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parts I acquired recently:

1) Currie E-Z Deflator; Deb got it for my B'Day.

2) TMR 14 Bolt Shave Kit!

3) 1350 Yoke for my 14 Bolt Axle. To go with the 1350 driveshaft with the 208 SYE kit...(kit not purchased yet)

P2072348.thumb.JPG.3043d44f9ede6ae271e1c

P2072343.thumb.JPG.2e5460df288b0155f288e

P2072346.thumb.JPG.a058c8bc13cfd09e518bf

P2072349.thumb.JPG.ba1193d5eef14226e1598

Sunday:

1) Installed new wipers on the Burban.  They were 5 years old, and quite streaky!

2) Took my bad wheel RF bearing off.  And well, I have Stage 8 Lock nuts, made of 4340, and let's say they are stronger than the surrounding parts....

My brother installed them and I was mistaken on how to take them off.  I broke a socket adapter first,  and I gouged the spindle.  Until I did it correctly.  Socket adapter is easily replaced, and it was PA anyway, and maybe not the very best quality.  I think the spindle will be okay, if not, I'll get another one.  I know how to take it apart quickly......

Bearings were replaced in winter 2013, a month shy of 3 years ago.  I guess I should clean them once a year instead of dousing them in mud then putting them away wet....

Will have to do the LF soon as well.

P2082353.thumb.JPG.8ab301c3741ba56b69f1a

P2072351.thumb.JPG.1294a4563bf2d9614a25f

And lastly.  I have a BAD TRE,  However, it probably isn't the ball and socket portion of the TRE.  It's the stud in the hole in the steering knuckle ear.  The TRE stud feels like a 3/8" bolt in a 1/2" hole!  The hole may be enlarged/elongated/wallowed out.  I may have to shim and ream it, OR finally switch to the cross-over steering/high steer arms..........

Removed all bearings and bearing races from the hub and spindle.  Although the bearings were intact; rollers, cages, etc, I've seen them disintegrated before, they were very muddy and worn/loose.  Pics too follow.  Prying the spindle bearing out was a PITA.  I now have to also purchase a spindle bearing and seal before reassembling.  And the locking hub, although it still worked, and it was a bit stiff to turn though, had some retaining rings loose and will need to be reassembled.

Everything needs a good cleaning!

Yup, I had to cut/chisel the spindle bearing out! 

Almost all replaceable parts: Inner, outer and spindle bearings, and big axle seal.  Spindle seals not shown.

IMG_1972.thumb.JPG.a9015e48dec999aa7a7d6

Dried out outer bearing:

IMG_1973.thumb.JPG.ff329fb79fdf9c4492c12

Remnants of the spindle bearing:

IMG_1974.thumb.JPG.a7154f1028584a763a131

IMG_1975.thumb.JPG.a708aacb14c0177c598da

The dried out and unintentionally diss-assembled locking hub!

IMG_1977.thumb.JPG.f4c1960c36a0e71a78baa

OCD kicked on today.  I never just replace the parts and re-install. To be fair I just ordered the spindle bearing and seals yesterday and they won't be here till at least Wednesday.  I've cleaned all pieces, inside and out, de-scaled any rust, washed with brake cleaner, and sprayed rust converter on any outside surfaces. I'll paint another night, and also finish re-surfacing where the bearings and races sit, especially the marks I made where the spindle bearing sits inside the spindle.  When everything goes back on its clean and painted!  I always do that.  

I concur.  When I swapped my front axle 3 years ago I painted it all and it still shows.  As yours will Jay!  Leaf spring packs, shocks, spring shackles, some new body cross-members, etc etc all painted upon install years ago and can still tell.

Sure slows me down but I can't help it! lol  It's part of the fun.  The process.  I can't work on or trouble shoot muddy, dirty, rusted parts.

lol.  And I know you meant no disrespect meant to all honest shops and mechanics.  The dishonest ones give a bad name to the honest ones.  Like any vocation. Even lawyers and politicians!

What I meant was if I was changing oil and saw bad belts, and brakes, etc I wouldn't know when to stop!

We could start a new thread.  How we are miss-understood.  I'm an employee of the federal government.  That makes me lazy and stupid and over paid.  And I work for the Department of Public Works.  Let's pretend in staffing.  So you can call me about a municipal culvert that's blocked.  Eh, no.  Wrong on two counts.  And I'm a Survey Engineer.  No, not a Civil Engineer.  And I've done work on the Confederation Bridge.  But no, not a bridge engineer.  No, not a land surveyor that can sign property plans, no.............  oh well what the heck!  Tell me your problem and I'll tell you I'll look into it,,,,,,

Reinstalled the Bronco brakes ...the right way round this time.

Fitted the '94 GMC brake lines.

Installed the track bar and mount....I think this track bar is going to the just a touch too long.

Also, the drag link might be too long. It's 1 inch solid steel....might be an easy sleeve?

For simplicity it would be really nice for it all to just fit - I guess there's really only one way for find out :)

IMG_20160215_202350.jpg

IMG_20160215_203014.jpg

a few weeks ago I had a splurge and bought a tri-band mobile radio to replace the jerry-rigged dual band handheld. Whilst I've been mostly happy with the handheld, it's low 5W output (in reality probably 3W to 4W) just wasn't cutting it for distance.

This one is 25W :) and also has transmit on the 1.25 meter band.

.....and the Chinglish instructions are hilarious !!

IMG_20160216_172745.thumb.jpg.7d25aaea45

IMG_20160216_173102.thumb.jpg.3896076a33

IMG_20160216_173256.thumb.jpg.8d00520e55

Archived