• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

image.thumb.jpg.adf3b44a3048b829adb70b5cimage.thumb.jpg.adf3b44a3048b829adb70b5cimage.thumb.jpg.0ffb6531e1491f5ee95dc5c9image.thumb.jpg.69154408a1fe7a01d989586eTwo weeks ago on Friday.  Took the rad and Heater core to rad shop today. They weren't leaking, there was some operator error though.  Changing the bad water pump, the seized heater valve, the cracked heater hoses, new thermostat just because, and removing some corrosion buildup from under some hoses.  All new rad hoses as well.

Had pretty bad death wobble on the way home today, so I took the track bar off, and the jam nut for the heim joint was loose.  The body side mount also had the mount holes wallowed out some, so I drilled it out to a 1/2".  I all ready drilled the axle mount out.  

My muffler (Flowtech Red Hots glass pack), manifold gaskets and e-brake shoes also arrived yesterday, so will be getting that done on the weekend.

Between the big search last week, the wine show on the weekend (keep the gf happy!) and taking care of my father in PEI tonight, the Suburban will be out in the rain with a tarp over the missing window, no biggie with no vinyl door panel on nor any floor covering anyway, but Scout is outside with the full soft top on.  Carpet might get a bit wet if it's windy, but it's in a shelteted spot.  There's been an Iltis in my bro's garage for 8 months now!  Oh well!

You can have my Thrush Welded muffler if you want it. 

Today Ron and I tackled the exhaust on the Jeep. Changed the muffler, and the drivers side manifold. With the V8, there's next to no room to get at the manifold bolts. Between the lack of room, and a few being beyond stubborn, and a couple snapping, it was an 8 hour job. 

But, I now have a manifold and muffler that doesn't leak! The Flowmaster Red Hots glass pack sounds pretty sweet on it too. 

Traded away my turbine rims yesterday to Randall (Nightpath) for a safari top :cool:. Now when using the roof rack like on the M.U.D. Run, I won't have the wind hitting me in the face when it hits the front of the rack when driving :) ! Just have to get the header bat for it now...

Got the heating system put back together on the Scout yesterday. The heater core was tested and overhauled, (I had to build new rubber mounts for it, the originals had basically turned to dust), re-installed the heater fan, installed a new heater valve (the old one was seized shut), and put all new heater hoses and clamps on. Here are two pics of a typical heater hose.

I'm surprised I hadn't had any trouble yet!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also installed two 90 degree heater hose connections to eliminate two bends that you can see one of in that second pic. Scouts came with two style heater cores, one style had 90 degree bends in the inlet and outlet from the factory. Mine didn't and the hoses were bent abnormally.

Re-installed the cooling system in the Scout today.  An overhauled rad, three new 'rad' hoses (yup, 3, not a Chevy or Ford design this IH motor! One hose bypasses the rad and goes from near the water pump back to the thermostat housing), new thermostat, and two gaskets with the thermostat housing, it separates completely from the motor.  (See note above!)  Couldn't get the engine water jacket drain plugs out so flushed water through the thermostat housing into each engine bank until it came out the water pump port clear. (I captured and will dispose of old coolant properly.)

Warmed her up, took her for a drive, all seems good, and I now have heat available inside the cabin!

Archived