• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it's working again for ya! :)

So, since installing the 4" lift, I've had slight death wobble between 70-80.  This evening I took out the axle side track bar bolt, and realized the hole is wallowed out a bit, and the bolt is a bit worn down.  I welded a washer over the hole, and it cured about 90% of the DW.  I'm going to get a new bolt for it eventually, and will probably drill it out and use a 1/2" grade 8 bolt (slightly bigger than the metric one in it).

I also need to get at my exhaust, and swap the drivers side manifold, and get a new muffler.  I've been thinking about getting a glass pack, as that's about the lowest profile muffler you can get.  From reading online (the internet never lies, LOL), it seems that Magnaflow is the better choice for quality, and sound.  I might order this one here: Magnaflow 18146 4" Diameter 26" Body Length 2.5" Inlet/2.5" Outlet Universal Glass Pack Muffler.

I centered the axle, and the steering wheel, but haven't taken it to a shop as the new lower arms are fixed, not adjustable. I just need to check the toe, which I might do today. 

the tie rod goes knuckle to knuckle does it not? It is not the same as the "Y" on the TJ (draglink to knuckle, tie rod to draglink, so therefore with the lift, your toe should not be affected. But it doesn't hurt to check, that's for sure...

Just checked the toe, and it was at zero. Checking online, stock calls for 1/8" toe in, lifted between 1/8-1/4" in. I set it just a hair over an 1/8th. 

I also drilled out the lower track bar mount, and track bar bushings, and will be going in soon to get 1/2" bolts for it. 

Brought my spare transmission home today so I can pull the valve body out of it. 

Mine has worked ok since magically fixing itself, but never went back to 100%. I guess a very common failure in this trans is the plate that holds the valves in bends, and causes similar problems to what I'm having. 

It's super easy to swap, just need to pick up some ATF to do it. 

Steering knuckles are finished.

IMG_20150919_180738.jpg

I was going to move on to the radius arms, then I saw one of the arms was bent.

IMG_20150919_180805.jpg

IMG_20150919_180817.jpg

Presumably LOTS of heat and a BFH will straighten that wrist out.

Or is there a better way ?

those radius arms arnt supposed to be straight. Seems to me one side has a little more angle than the other side. They aren't perfectly symmetrical. Best thing to do is mount them on your axle and see how they sit first before trying to change them.

Archived