• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found out that my back brakes are pooched. Stated grinding yesterday coming home from work, but didn't have time to check it. Pulled the wheels when I got home today, and one of the pads dropped out of where it seats, and scored the rotor all up. That's one side. The other, which had/has an intermittently sticky caliper, must have changed to a constantly sticking one, (even though it wasn't getting hot, or smelling) as the pads are wore right out.

It's sitting on jack stands right now, so looks like I'll be making a trip to the parts Jeep to pull everything off the rear. Here's hoping the calipers on it are good!

No pics this time :P

Fitted the holster for my wireless winch controller :)

My rad support was repaired 2 years ago. A piece of horizontal square tube replaced the original support. But the new steel was welded to what was left of the original support, which is rotting away.

I noticed today that the rad support-support had finally disintegrated on one side, and the rad is no longer supported. So I jammed and welded a pipe shim in between the frame and the new support. She's good as new now LOL.

Did some much needed service work to the ford. Pulled front hubs and bearings to clean and repack. Darn watery trail runs...The water gets in the hub from the where the axle shaft goes through the spindle. So I now have lots of spare seals. Seems every run with water I have to clean and repack bearings. Gooy mud never seems to bother it, just deep water, probably the lower viscosity of it. This time I'm going to try and pack the inside of the spindle to try and slow the water coming in through the spindle. Most of the time the water never makes it to the inner wheel bearing, just the outter. My lockouts are water tight with rubber o rings on the screws and new o rings on the lockout to hub. O well....

FINALLY mounted my rear light bar! The person who listed the group-buy on another forum forgot to include the spacers with the bar itself. He mailed them out, however in a regular paper envelope that ripped while in transit :(

Man skills to the test: I had some tube that would work but didn't want to use a hack saw as I wanted straight lines. Man brain kicked in and voila: pipe cutter. Worked like a charm and I pushed some rubber tube over one end to have something to grip with my hands.

Now for some LED's and a 3 position switch (ON - OFF - On w/ reverse lights). I already have this wired from the battery to the dash to the roof (with relays & a Blue Sea fuse block) so I only need the lights, a switch & 12' of wire to complete the mod!)

post-429-0-12264700-1437934882_thumb.jpg

post-429-0-05200000-1437934883_thumb.jpg

post-429-0-94905500-1437934883_thumb.jpg

Got some pricing for my tie rod and tie rod adjuster;

Partsource

Tie Rod = $57.59

Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve = $59.99 - for a threaded bar FFS !! & 1 week back order.

total order = $176.97

Rock Auto

Tie Rod = $13.81

Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve = $27.09

total order = $70.02

guess which one I went for LOL

Are you going to swap the rear varilock too eventually?

I think the varilock in the rear might be shot. I did the one wheel in the air test, and it didn't build and resistance up. The front built it up right away.

The pinion seal and drivers side axle seal also need to be replaced. I'm still going to pull it and keep it though. Might just get a Spartan locker for the rear eventually.

I think being locked in the rear, and limited slip in the front would work pretty good.

Oh, the front that I pulled is also in WAY WAY WAY better condition than the one on my Jeep. Both spring perches on mine (one fixed) are a rusted out Swiss cheese mess, and the one off the parts Jeep, you can still see the paint on the perches!!!

'Scout' is running again! I probably spent 10 hours cleaning up the wiring looms, removing redundant and no longer working vacuum hoses and parts, trouble shooting the failed part, discovering a mistake in the previous owner's wiring (the ignition ballast resistor was in the back-up lights circuit, not the ignition coil feed!). Once all that was completed it only took 10 minutes to swap in the new distributor ignition module. I also added a Mallory voltage spike filter which is 'plug and play' in-line as well.

And I purchased two ignition modules, so I now have a spare............

I had a key made for the center console between the bucket seats of 'Scout'. Took the lock cylinder in to Atlantic Lock. Scout is a soft top after all! Too bad the glove compartment doesn't have a lock. I may have to scour some junk yards to see if one from another manufacturer of the era has a similar keyed latch. They were all pretty similar for the North American vehicles.

Yesterday I got the console lock re-installed. Maybe I now qualify as a minor locksmith! Took me a good 30 minutes I bet to sort it out, but it now works great! (Maybe I'm just slow!)

From 1 key for the ignition only to 4 keys now. Ignition, doors, console, gas cap. I do have another ignition set that matches the doors. I could bring it down to 3....

Today I washed Scout! Washed off some penetrating and lubricating oils in particular from when I worked on the windows in particular last winter And had some black high-heat engine enamel so I painted the tail pipes (which I had extended and then head had both old rusted and shiny new finishes). Maybe this will start a new trend! Lol

post-247-0-25408300-1438566765_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-81279400-1438566787_thumb.jpg

Is it possible to re-key the locks to get back to one key?

I have an ignition lock that uses the same key as the doors from when I bought the replacement door and ignition set. Other than that they couldn't rekey the console to match, and the gas cap is a double edged key and different altogether.

Yeah, I'm Mr. Bean! lol

Today I put part of the dash back on and swept Scout out for the first time as well!

Yesterday was helping Deb put some federal signs out, used Scout for over 3 hours!

Today went to Rainbow Haven. Locked everything in the console (left anything real important at home), and left the glove box door open so anyone interested may be less inclined to look around.

Installed a re-built starter today. Almost 3 hours to remove (Sunday), 1 hour to overhaul and 45 minutes to re-install.

Major piss-off is that I missed the Broken-Yolk run on the weekend due to this...may be the X was trying to tell me something, or just crappy bad luck; I'm going with crappy bad luck regardless of what any of you say/post :p

Also received my shipping confirmation for the sliders today!

Archived