• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it was jammed in there really good!!

I think the cause of the problem was there was a clearance issue with the end of the punch, as my previous pounding on it had created a small lip on the end, so the punch was then just slightly too big for the hole.

I left the pin to soak in Liquid Wrench overnight. After straightening my center punch (again) and grinding the lip off the end of it, the pin went in without too much trouble.

All in my PJs, and What a relief! :)

Moral of the story.....sleep on your problems LOL

Can't wait to get this back on the X :) Will do some more on my lunch break :)

SANY0088.JPG

2 newest things with my Jeep.

I was able to trade hard tops with a friend who had the hard top with tinted windows. Hooray, I now have the tinted windows!!

My windshield broke on the way into work.....again.....in the exact same spot it broke last summer :(

I took it in to the dealer and they are checking to see if they can replace it under my warranty.....again.

My windshield broke on the way into work.....again.....in the exact same spot it broke last summer :(

I took it in to the dealer and they are checking to see if they can replace it under my warranty.....again.

Some kind of stress point? A warped body piece?

it could be but i don't really know, could be a burr, could be a design flaw(not that the team of crack Chrysler engineers would ever make anything with flaws.....unless we got the team that brought us the NEON)

It breaks on the bottom about 12-16 inches from the drivers side edge, rises about 4 inches and then heads to the passenger side. It has grown about 8 inches so far today. Last summer it broke in the same spot, while I was parked, this time I was driving slowly and there was no one in front of me and I heard that SNAP sound again.....

Just found out that the dealer is covering it and I will get my new windshield on thursday!! Hooray!!

Bearing caps are back on
SANY0091.JPG

Axles back in place and locked together :)

SANY0092.JPG

She's juiced up and ready to go back in!!

SANY0096.JPG
....and after a couple of hours struggling, I think I'm gonna have to take off the cross-member in order to be able to lift the diff straight up, instead of up, then a 90 degree turn.....thing's freaking heavy with no real center of gravity LOL

We'll see if I did installed it right, or not :)

As long as you checked the clearances/play and are within spec you should be good to go. Make sure to give a detailed description of your "test run".

Those pins are a PITA because they are so thin. Last time I had a diff apart, I placed the pin in the freezer for a couple hours and it slid into place with very little pressure. I do the same thing now when I have to install spherical bearing into my C/O's or my UCA's.

1st thing I want to try is get it balanced on 2 opposing wheels...see if I can get out of it....which I should be able to :)

I know just the place to do that, supposedly built for Jeeps, but Subaru's use it during their drive event at 'Saltscapes'. Ask me how I know! I took a Forester across it, and you end up with two opposing wheels IN THE AIR. And you can rock the vehicle by shifting your weight! And then they tell you to open the doors and they close again! Can't say they would close on the Suburban. Or even my Rogue. Then the Forester X-Drive kicks in and shudders the heck out of it (ABS shuts down the spinning wheels) and she forges ahead. This was the track we didn't get to run after helping out at the Fall RV show but I know all the twists and turns now...........

I know just the place to do that, supposedly built for Jeeps, but Subaru's use it during their drive event at 'Saltscapes'. Ask me how I know! I took a Forester across it, and you end up with two opposing wheels IN THE AIR. And you can rock the vehicle by shifting your weight! And then they tell you to open the doors and they close again! Can't say they would close on the Suburban. Or even my Rogue. Then the Forester X-Drive kicks in and shudders the heck out of it (ABS shuts down the spinning wheels) and she forges ahead. This was the track we didn't get to run after helping out at the Fall RV show but I know all the twists and turns now...........

Sounds like the traction control on the 2nd Gen X; a lot of shutter and shake, but forward progress none the less ;)

I know of a few of "those" spots around here as well, unfortunately, you'd need a snowmobile to get to them for the next few weeks.

Changed my CV out. Don't really have the funds for RCV just yet so i went with one from NAPA. Turns out she was seized on there pretty good. Started at 430 and just got home now. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Also the axle seal got damaged in the struggle so I'll have to get a new one of those tomorrow. Take it all apart again and change that. Lol.

Cross member is off - it took some hammering on the hangers to bend the metal into shape so I could drop the cross member

SANY0097.JPG

Cross member re-installed to the differential

SANY0098.JPG

Used a boogie board to stabilize the lift...it worked perfectly :)

SANY0099.JPG

Diff is in place

SANY0100.JPG

And it's in!

I REALLY should have removed the cross member with the differential. It was so much easier!!

Along the way on the final installation section I had 2 MAJOR OH S**T moments;

1 - I left the input shaft to the last possible moment. Everything was bolted hard in place, then I came to bolt it up and realized the bolt that holds the input shaft plate in place sticks out half and inch, so I was unable to slide the U join over it. I had to use the jack to force it over the end of the bolt.

2 - When I took it for a test drive on the wet road in 4HI & locked the hubs, it drove horribly...I mean really bad out of sharp corners, clearly the front wheels were locked up.

So I tried it in 2WD and all was well. I'd forgotten that any power forces the center shaft against the Lokka putting it into locked mode. As soon as no power is applied, the Lokka plates have chance to rotate.

No audible clicky clicky tho...it's quiet, and locked :) !!!

Archived