• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Don't buy from canada parts online. They are not canadian, they billing you in US dollars and they ship from the US. if something goes wrong, you have to pay shipping to return parts back to them.

I always ship with autopartsway.ca, they are in Canada and have many warehouses in Canada that they ship from. I've had all good experience with them.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't buy from canada parts online. They are not canadian, they billing you in US dollars and they ship from the US. if something goes wrong, you have to pay shipping to return parts back to them.

I always ship with autopartsway.ca, they are in Canada and have many warehouses in Canada that they ship from. I've had all good experience with them.

I know a few people that have had problems with Autopartsway.ca as well. I personally have not with the few things I have ordered from them. I prefer to get parts whenever possible locally. If you shop around and have a good relationship with the local parts stores, I often get near as good prices (sometimes better) than from some online places, plus I have my parts usually next day, if not same day (This is is for normal wear & tear replacement parts and not "custom aftermarket stuff).

^^ As James said. For me, I have been able to use local parts for maintenance, and the big aftermarket custom parts is a combination of the CVOs, 4WheelParts, etc and direct from manufacturer. I have been able to get maintenance parts from the local guys, including dealers!, usually almost as cheap as, on-line and have built a good rapport with them. They have it in stock or overnight, return policy is perfect, and they have good availability. I live in town, that helps! And I like to buy premium parts, especially wheel bearings, wheel speed sensors, etc and not the cheapest white box part I can find.

The dealerships know what they are up against. I was able to get a wheel speed sensor from them at wholesale, and it was cheaper than AutoParts who didn't stock it but could get a white box part from Burnside!

But whatever works for anyone, go for it!

For Domestic, I agree with both of you, James & Eugene, however, for Imports online can save a lot of coin on some items. I do find that the dealerships are reducing the parts in some areas. The wheel bearing unit I replaced last week was only $30 more than Rockauto and I had it the same day (fortunately I was in Halifax anyway). 2 years ago the bearing unit was almost double.

For some parts, dealership is better as well. You really have to know your vehicle and do some research. I will only order from reputable online companies such as Rockauto, Summit Racing, discounttires direct, etc. Though yes, they do make mistakes that can delay your plans.

I have learned that buying local even if it costs a few bucks more is better. Bought fox shocks for the heep and I need to replace at least one (since i bent it) and the others are worn out already. I'm now going to buy a new set of sky jackers. Since they are quite easy to source vs fox and I want my rig fixed now.The warranty process is much easier. Drop them off and get them replaced and no questions asked. Online is a hassle and you have to pay for shipping.

The online shop I bought them from is in Alberta ( take a guess ) however it will be close to a month to get one. Since they out of stock and need to get it shipped from the US. Then shipped to me!

This younger guy is learning. Learning the hard way but learning lol

Your Fox shocks are worn out in less than a year? I would hope they are all warrantied...

that's my plan but it will take quite some time and BS to get it done with. Going with the sky jacker nitros and dealing with the warranty on the side. The plan is to have the fox shocks for spares in the end. This will be the 4th set of shocks on the rubi. :mad:

Worked on the Scout tonight! The driver's door window crank is broken, so I started with the passenger side. It was easier to get to right now anyway.

Both windows were extremely hard to crank up and down. (Then the driver side broke.) And the passenger side is missing the pull up / push down lock knob and rod.

Took the door panel off (always easier said than done!), then freed up all the mechanisms with very liberal amounts of WD-40. And wow, what a difference! I will now put

some kind of lube on.

While I had the door panel off I decided to adjust it, it was a bit low. It now closes with two fingers and a little swing!

And then I took the glove compartment door off to get a good look at the Line Setting Ticket. And found the door lock rod.

After all this I took a look at the distributor. A Mallory aftermarket! Pic to follow!

post-247-0-74296900-1424143967_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-95489900-1424144011_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-57580100-1424144002_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-34758800-1424144025_thumb.jpg

Not so much "what I did to..." as it is "what I realized" today. I park in the same spot at work everyday. It's the furthest back corner to keep ****** bags who do not know how to open their doors from denting the X. They always low snow behind where I park (I back in) so I, obviously, take advantage of the situation and back as far into/onto the snow bank to test my tires. Well today, I made it a distance that was both "far into and on top of the snow bank" before levelling out to park for the day.

When I jumped into the X to leave, it turned over slow and seemed to "struggle" to stay running. First reaction is to hit the gas, which I did, only to have the X stumble a bit and then...BAM...redline. Hugh puff of black smoke (think of a diesel pull truck/tractor) and then back to normal idle. Thinking something was pooched, I shut it off and checked a few spots for issues.

Turns out my tailpipe was encased in snow and ice and the pressure finally blew a small snow "volcano" up through the snow. Earlier in the day, when I came down from my ascent, snow was pulled down with the bumper and created an "ice plug" inside and around the tail pipe.

I bet there was a brown volcano in your drawers too after that!

Think there could be any lasting effects?

Yes to the first line...No to the second. The snow around the tail pipe melted when it was hot to create the ice. It was still powder in the inner 1-1.5" section (2.5" outlet) so the X could exhale, but was limited. If I hadn't broke the ice "Ring-a-lo" section from the internal section, I would have brought it home and taken a pic.

The area where the incident occurred still looks like Santa took his sooty pecker and....

• 2 weeks later...

Put a 50in LED light bar on. Holy smokes she's some bright. You click it on and it changes from night to day for about 400 feet in front of the Jeep.

Was supposed to be a curved 50in light bar, but well, let's just say a local supplier ****** me and didn't give me what I ordered.

Ask and ye shall receive:

BjacxgG.jpg

1NzY9dg.jpg

PcLol1D.jpg

FYl1DQb.jpg

Can see most of my recent mods in that last pic. Light bar, can get a little glimpse of the white skyjacker shock behind front passenger tire, and can see the new, non RC, not rusty shitty old spring there as well.

Archived