• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full time 4x4? Yeah, sounds more like drive train - transfer case bearings, U-Joint, a driveshaft steady bearing but I doubt you have one, mostly on long wheel bases.

Only my opinion but - if you have a lot of miles on 'er, and she isn't young, I think eventually you can't keep the vibrations out of it, especially full-time.

But then again my experience is with old domestic 4x4s, not Toys!

This time of year though? Snow on the rims and anything else can cause vibration!

Didn't realize the 8cyl was F/T 4WD and also missed the "under load" part until I re-read everything. Eugene is on the right path; it's driveline related. Any shake/feel in the steering wheel?

At your next stop: Park on level ground, e-brake on and in Neutral (chock a wheel as well for safety ;) ). Crawl under the Runner and grab the rear & front drive shafts as close to the u-joint as possible and "push - n - pull" as hard as you can. You'll likely feel a "click/clunk" at one of the joints.

I would suspect a rear joint is going which would explain as to why the noise/vibration subsides as the rear axle is live (directly connected to the wheel and springs) as opposed to the front (fixed diff to the frame).

ETA: LOL, Just saw the post above. This is what happens when you take 30 minutes to complete a comment due to chasing kids around the house. FWIW, I just sent back a new hub installed in August for warranty replacement (Rockauto.com) today. Damn thing had less than 5k kms and I haven't had it in the woods.

Fort McMoney? $140 an hour? What part of the world are you in! I just had some work done at Speedy, $84.95 an hour. I think I'll got back to school and become a mechanic, or better yet, buy stock in a stealership!

I bet as the unemployment rate goes up out west that price drops............

Turns out its the wheel bearing, its so bad its affecting my brakes. Got a new koyo one sitting beside me but tomorrow they are gettin me for 2.5 hrs labo... :(

Sheesh! I have changing the hub/bearing on my Jeep down to about 1/2 hour now! $200/hr is incentive to work on your own rig whenever possible.

Unfortunately i dont have anywhere to work on it for now, i was looking all over for a bearing and hub already pressed like the driver side one i got a couple months back but no ones got em in stock around here, if it were just unbolt and bolt back in i would suffer the cold and do it myself. Got no choice this time.

So, which bearing was it? Passenger front? I know my OEM Rogue front bearings are crap. The first time they were changed under warranty at about 50k. When they went the second time at 100k, I put in SKF premiums. Not cheap, but most folks say I shouldn't ever need to change them again. They were 3x the price of white box parts though!

And yup, a really bad front wheel bearing (loose, not just grinding!) will affect the brakes. The travel of the brake pedal and piston will be all used up just to straighten

the rotor, and there is nothing left to stop the wheels then.

Ask me how I know! I even changed the master cylinder thinking that was my brake problem! Until I found the wheel falling off when I lifted the front wheel for something else! Then I switched from the 1/2-3/4 ton axle to the 1 ton. Rough roads, 37" tires, winch. The 1/2 ton axle kept going through wheel bearings, ball joints, and then the pinion bearing. Ya gotta have big gear to play big.

Yeah passenger front Eugene.

Since I have owned it at 146,XXX kms and now at 251,XXX kms i have replaced that bearing, I used the ultra premium part from napa which I forget the brand (we will find out later when I take a look) but it was 200$ compared to oem from napa koyo at 150$. This bearing was changed around july of 13.

But I suppose it has been wheeled very hard for what it is.

Archived