• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday - Scout: Reinstalled dash and steering column trim pieces, tidied up tools and parts from the turn signal switch replacement project.  Covered some holes in the footwell from when I removed the AC blower motor last spring.  Cleaned up the cargo area after some hauling of stuff lately. Swept the footwells and rubber mats!

• 4 weeks later...

Did some winch maintenance today, and the other day, applied some di electic spray over all the connections and solenoids, today sprayed entire outer surface of winch and tension spooled cable, lubing cable as it spooled. Here it is all ready for winter

IMG_20171222_163147.jpg

Forgot to add, picked up a new snatch block to add to to my recovery gear, also disassembled the old snatch block I have, cleaned and lubed the ball bearings, and checked out the rest of the gear, iv  wrecked both snatch straps, one broke and the other came unraveled off the front of the xterra and got caught under the wheels,  so I'll have to replace them, and checked my clevis and shackles to make sure they are operational and complete. 

Got some more maintenance done, the shifter retainer had broke last year, meaning gravity was all that held  the shifter lever in the trans, so replaced retainer, changed shift knobs, reinstalled sound deadner foam around shift tower and screwed the shifter boot back to the floor.

IMG_20171224_134523.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Started the Scout, turned the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock, checked all lights,  then shut it off and re-checked the PS fluid level.  No additional fluid needed.  Brakes work (rears need tightening). Looks good to go for now!  Door mirrors are installed as well, and the nuisance A-pillar mounted mirrors are removed.  Now to re-install the inner door panels, window and door handles, etc.  And put the new license plate sticker on! 

Still a million things to do, but probably throwing it into winter storage to free up the garage for other priorities at the moment.  But  it’s great to have progress!  Pics of the mirrors to follow as soon as I take them!

• 2 weeks later...

Three pics for now (my new phone takes hi-res photos (I know I can reduce them)).

IMG_0401.thumb.JPG.be1feb0c24b5e03dbf7b7e89081655b7.JPGIMG_0402.thumb.JPG.8aa54a9c30bd6a48ccdba7733b8a9936.JPGIMG_0406.thumb.JPG.97fca6791a2ac47cdb6d7adac8321d49.JPG

You can see the bolts from the previous mounts on the A pillars.  Good Nutserts for little LED lights perhaps! 

I had removed the inner door panels, and saw a reinforcement plate for the upper mount, on each door (L/R).  I used that for a placement/template for the upper bracket mounting holes.  It worked great!  I also added the convex mirrors, I really like them and have them on all my vehicles.

MUCH more work/upgrades to follow on the Scout.  And the Burb.  I have some interesting pics for it, when I get a chance.

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

Three pics for now (my new phone takes hi-res photos (I know I can reduce them)).

Board will reduce once they hit the server. It will limit the size of your uploads though. If they are bigger than the upload will allow then you're limited there, but once they hit the board they get reduced.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I found a coolant leak!  One that I didn't know I had, (but explains a lot of things, including mostly why there was always coolant on the garage floor....)  On Scout.  After a temporary patch on the coolant leak, (until I get to a parts store),  I worked on the speedo cable install. Replacing a two piece cable and Cruise control box with a single cable.  There's always something to do, and I'm glad there is. I like working on it!  But it is nice to cruise on occasion as well! lol

• 4 weeks later...

Archived