• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

14 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Removed custom rear spring bumpstops tonight, did minor flex test , no rear tire rub, need to do some more testing and tuning to max out the flex and build new bump stops.

Min the X, or the Ferd? The X I presume.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Min the X, or the Ferd? The X I presume.

Haha, the Ford would never be able to use a bump stop in the rear suspension, that giant add a leaf thing in there prevents any movement in the rear springs. It is half an inch thick and has a crazy arch to it so when bolted up to factory springs it forces a greater arch throughout the pack. Junk. 

Mine is behind Deb's old house with a lean-to over it.  Since last fall!  And will probably stay in a similar position at one house or another for as long as I own it!  Since I don't highway drive the Scout everyday all year long I'll likely never use it.   Or maybe I'll put it on for a different look!  Really, if I had to leave the Scout outside all winter it would be the smart thing to do.

Now yfou got me thinking Derek!

On the xterra , IV Replaced the 3/4" track bar axle bolt , replaced and packed front wheel bearings, have to pick up a 9/16" bolt for the other end of the trac bar. I don't have one, and gave it a wash underny, years of packed mud are coming off, still more to wash, gotta find metal under all the years of accumulated mud and trail debris to be able to weld in some patch work and also to apply some corrosion protection to slow anything else from rusting.More washing needed.

9 hours ago, Powerram said:

, IV Replaced the 3/4" track bar axle bolt , replaced and packed front wheel bearings, have to pick up a 9/16" bolt for the other end of the trac bar. 

Were the bolts worn?  Sloppy or possibility of breaking?

Troubleshooted the 12v power outlet on the dash of the Rogue.  When the plug for the roof lights and siren  at Ledwdge as Car 0 failed it also overheated the power outlet and there seems to be a thermal overload cutout or something I read to that effect.  Power to the outlet but no continuity on the outer shell to the connector.  Following the Factory Service Manual on line I disconnected the battery and let the air bag system de-energize before I took the dash apart.  Probably didn't need to for this small section though.  I need a new outlet or will swap the one from the centre console.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

i don't know if a generic outlet will fit or if I need a Nissan one.  They can't be too expensive at the stealership can they? Lol

Once I had it apart I figure you can actually take the outlet out without removing the dash. Of course.

I read somebody with a Morano put a Walmart replacement in there.

I see those sockets are rated at 120W - seems odd they would put a thermal fuse in there, unless they did it to protect underrated wiring to the fuse box from getting too hot.

Maybe safer to get a direct replacement ;)

Replacement for the dash one is $51.xx wholesale.  Though it's called a lighter replacement.

Replacement for the center console one is $10.00 wholesale and it looks to be the same.  I looked specifically this morning.  And I've been using it so I know it works.

The dealer is bringing in the center one and we'll see.  Their suggestion, if it doesn't fit they said no problem. 

I like keeping my daily driver 'factory'.  Anyone can get in drive it, including me, without any 'this and that doesn't work correctly'.  My trucks are different!  First of all they are carbureted and the chokes don't work right.  There are many folks out and about that wouldn't be able to start them after they've been sitting for a week!  But anyone that needs to drive them I can talk them through it!  No AC, no power windows, no power locks, and no radio in the Scout.  No DVD in the headrests, (no headrests!), no Satellite radio, no Bluetooth, no aux input, lol. Why would anyone want to drive them? lol

I must have bumped a rock and drove the center locking handle through the hub on the front warn hubs on the xterra, luckily the hub was engaged, and was able to drive out, don't recall hitting it, but noticed before hitting pavement it was broken while unlocking them. Quick drive to my buddies, I pulled one off the front of his Mustang (yes u read correctly, I pulled a locking warn hub off the front of a mustang GT). And just like that we were back to wheeling! Was quicker to hit up his parts than to drive to my house to get them. I guess it is time for a set of warn premium hubs with brass center rather than the factory type with plastic center, 

A few minutes here and there the last couple evenings, took the AC evaporator(?) out of the Scout passenger footwell.  Could do it in half the time if I had to do it again, now that I know how!

Just below the glove compartment, with the door and bin removed for access I didn't really need after all.  Blower duct on top, casing for evaporator below.

image.jpeg

Looking through glove compartment hole.  AC unit on floor.  One hose removed, one still attached.  Big hole through firewall now!

image.jpeg

Auxiliary blower visible, partially removed.  AC was a total add on accessory separate from the normal heating system. Big heat exchanger!  In good shape externally!

image.jpeg

AC system now totally removed.  RH tail/stop/turn light trouble shooting next..........

7 hours ago, Jawritch said:

No pictures but extended the front bump stops and finished(ish) the half doors for the XJ. Should be all ready for MUD saturday

Half doors are the shiz but I thought because cherokees were unibody that half doors/no doors were a bad idea? Or did I read some BS?

I've heard both, that no doors is 100% fine and also that no doors folds like a taco. I imagine without doors it's more susceptible to body flex but not like ruined forever doors don't go back on flex. Either way the half doors I built keep the top window frame and a fair chunk of metal at the bottom. That along with the 2x6 rockers should keep it plenty stiff for now.

Picture of the cutout size before the doors were usable.IMG_20160726_194354.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a DRL module as I'm constantly forgetting to turn the lights on during the day.

Even without the DRL module, the Zuk's side lights are orange and it also turns on the rear reds.

I might even look at changing it so the key has to be turned in order to have any lights on.....I'm getting lazy with the light switch LOL

Archived