• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Thanks, it's been a fun journey

I still need to adjust my pinion angle, install the pinion rebuild kit, and I've got some 4.10's, for them too!

Sliders to make next...I'm looking forward to making those...I really enjoy welding and creating ish ;):)

Just gotta find time lol

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at those back springs flex! And I love the look of new sneakers!

Trim sheet metal, keep your cog low, it looks soooo good.  

Sliders?  You'll probably never need them.  Oh wait, I needed sliders  M.U.D. 2015, and Tim Hortons  parking lot before Bump and Grind, and and and.  So yeah, put some sliders on.  And I plan to have mine on for M.U.D. 2016.  Heck, they're only 2 1/2 years old...

Went on the Pirate charity tour of Renfrew to Beverbank on saturday.

Had an issue with all 5 lug nuts backing out half an inch on one wheel! Now I'm regretting putting mag wheels on....they seem hard to keep tight.

Picked up a clunk and a notch in the steering. So I've re-loaded all my steering joints....and found I'd left the pitman ball joint without a grease fitting LOL. A lot of brown liquid came out of it when I finally got a fitting and some grease in it.

I may need to do some minor trimming on the front fenders LOL

Plus side....the 35's and rear bump stops worked really well, and I didn't scrape anything on the ground once :)

DSC_5860.JPG

DSC_5872.JPG

DSC_5851.JPG

12 hours ago, jay said:

Went on the Pirate charity tour of Renfrew to Beverbank on saturday.

Had an issue with all 5 lug nuts backing out half an inch on one wheel! Now I'm regretting putting mag wheels on....they seem hard to keep tight.

Picked up a clunk and a notch in the steering. So I've re-loaded all my steering joints....and found I'd left the pitman ball joint without a grease fitting LOL. A lot of brown liquid came out of it when I finally got a fitting and some grease in it.

I may need to do some minor trimming on the front fenders LOL

Plus side....the 35's and rear bump stops worked really well, and I didn't scrape anything on the ground once :)

DSC_5860.JPG

DSC_5872.JPG

DSC_5851.JPG

Lookin good, if ya want, I got a set of chrome spoke wheels in 8" wide flavour id trade ya for the aluminum ones 

IMG_20160609_073425477.jpg

IMG_20160609_131809643.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rebuilt the rear this weekend. new bearings, races and seal for the diff and pinion.  

Went together well.  Used the old shim for the pinion and eyeballed the adjusters for the carrier checked the pattern and it was good on the first try :)

Also put in a crush sleeve eliminator on the pinion.  That took a few more attempts at getting the shims right lol.   

Apparently the crush sleeve on the 9.25 sucks and wears itself out somehow, over crushing it.   The spacer and shims should hold up much better.  

Spent a few hours troubleshooting my airbags.  The airbag warning light came on and flashes continuously while driving, presuming there's a fault in the system somewhere.  Put it into diagnostic mode and narrowed it down to the driver airbag module, ensured all wires are in good condition and connectors are tight but still won't reset.  Gonna trace wires tomorrow and ensure nothing is chafed or anything.  Will the fixing never end! lol 

Over the last several weeks I managed to squeeze in a half-hour total to look at the no-engage-Park issue on the Scout.  First I noticed by unhooking and shifting the cable by hand at the operator lever end I could get it to engage into Park.  The lever wasn't pulling the cable far enough.  I thought maybe the cable was stretching or the body settling or something.  Tried to adjust the cable length at the lever end but it is all used up.  Started looking at the transmission end, not an easy job, the transmission is packed in there a bit tight, and noticed the bolts that attach the cable and linkage are loose, allowing slop.  As they say, I noticed shiny spots where the nuts were sliding.  Thankfully the bolts hadn't fallen out making the diagnosis much harder!  Hopefully I can reach and tighten them without pulling the transmission mount/crossmember and exhaust off to get at them!

Yee Hah!  Yesterday I squeezed my arms and hands in beside the transmission amidst copious amounts of undercoating and twisted my neck to see and held a flashlight in my teeth and and and ...... I tightened the two small bolts holding the shift cable one-eighth of a turn at a time............ holding a short screw driver on the heads.

Before doing so I unhooked the shift lever and shoved the cable all the way in one direction.  Now, the cable is actually a bit too short, I'm engaging Park in R, etc.  But Park is engaging great!  Hopefully I can just adjust the cable enough at the lever end, else I get to play underneath again.  However, I'm just so happy I was able to find and repair the issue!  Not engaging Park, and only using a Park brake that is not adjusted enough (if they ever really could be) was not a fun or safe way to drive.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:17 PM, Command said:

Spent a few hours troubleshooting my airbags.  The airbag warning light came on and flashes continuously while driving, presuming there's a fault in the system somewhere.  Put it into diagnostic mode and narrowed it down to the driver airbag module, ensured all wires are in good condition and connectors are tight but still won't reset.  Gonna trace wires tomorrow and ensure nothing is chafed or anything.  Will the fixing never end! lol 

Did you do the reset procedure?

Not much progress, but broke down 8 tires and installed 8 tires, I traded tires on the zuk with the tires my buddie had on his Jeep, the tires on the Zuk were 285/75r16 dick cepek crushers and the tires I installed onto the zuk are 255/85r16 bfg mud terrains, just a hare taller but much narrower. Im happier with the skinnies on this rig, normally I opt for the wide tires on my rigs.Then I put the cepeks onto the Jeep wheels. Some end result pics. The. Pa tire changer still working good haha, I plan to get another one to perminately mount into the garage and keep this one mobile

IMG_20160714_165311802.jpg

IMG_20160714_171244319.jpg

I was able to adjust the cable at the Lever end of the Scout shifter and all is well now!  :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:  I also re-hooked up the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) that I had disconnected two years ago when trouble shooting the starting problem.  Safety, safety.  No wonder I didn't take it to the wedding.  Much safer for someone else to drive now.  I felt okay to drive it before, I knew all these things. (See below as well.)

As someone said, you never stop fixing?  I forgot to hook the night light back up on the shifter.  Have to take it partly apart again today.

Then on to the next 'small' issue.  The LR Brake/Turn/Tail doesn't work quite right.  That usually means a bad ground, but I've checked that before.  I wonder when the PO changed the pigtail socket he got the wires correct............

And then rear view mirrors.  I hate the ones on the A-Pillar.  Too small, can't adjust them right, the drivers door bump the LH mirror when open, Deb lowers the RH sunvisor and obstructs my view, and the damn windshield mirror keeps falling off.

'Ferd' style door mirrors going on.  Not sure about the windshield mirror.  Proper glue has let go twice, and then I used a double-side tape style.  But it falls off when it gets hot with the sun beating on the windshield in the driveway!  Put it back on when it's cool and you can't pry it off!

Archived