• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Yeah, I picked up some 4.10's for the 8.8 cheap off Bill. If I can find a complete D44 HP 4.09 set (or 4.10/4.11 I'm not sure), or a 4.x carrier and the gears, then I'll throw them in. TBH, the front differential bearings and seals also need an overhaul.

The front now has Limited Slip...and I can feel it binding up a little too in 4WD.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

That new tire and rim looks amazing on your truck!  Go fer it!

Heck, if you run 35s I have to put my bro's 40s on the Burb, they're just rotting away,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

As for axleshaft breakage, you don't have the power to break them Jay.  I was just cautioning you is all!  Don't put a front locker in, and jam the wheel against a rock, and give 'er hell in 4Low,

and you will be all right.

As for gearing, you'll make out fine, did I see you looking for 4:11s?  :-) 

Interesting you mention clearance issues with the radius arms.  I just read about something like that,  but it was torsion bars vs coil overs.  Oh no, I shouldn't have suggest that!

Yep, radius arms will touch tires when turning, two solutions to that, modify radius arms, or cut inside lugs closer to sidewall to prevent the tire from biting the radius arm, I am used to mine , when I hear the lugs biting I lessen my steering angle

3 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Typically you'll never free them up, they'll shear first.  Ya just gotta weld a nut on them as a spacer.

Depending how rusted they are, of course.

I can usually get stuff like that out with a torch. But just adding spacers works, I don't on mine, because it limits the steering so much when running normal size tires

Oh I guess I'll never live in an arid climate and don't have to worry about this rust thing!

Yeah Jay, like Derek and Matt said, yours looks like it will free after a few cycles to break the rust.

I think those axles also have a large threaded ring on the upper BJ I think, to set pre-load.

I've never seen one that would turn, and never worried about it either.

44 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Oh I guess I'll never live in an arid climate and don't have to worry about this rust thing!

Yeah Jay, like Derek and Matt said, yours looks like it will free after a few cycles to break the rust.

I think those axles also have a large threaded ring on the upper BJ I think, to set pre-load.

I've never seen one that would turn, and never worried about it either.

I usually heat them so they create their own light source, then if the nut is a blob, weld a new nut to them

1 hour ago, jay said:

lighting it up is not gonna happen with my propane torch LOL

The small map gas torches work well, can even cut small bolts with them when mixed with a oxy can and a rosebud tip, IV cut up to a 7/16 gr8 bolt with them, not the fastest way , but got the job done where the grinder wouldn't fit.

And I have a propane torch that will warm stuff up, but the same torch head with a map gas can will heat stuff a lot hotter, it will make small bolts glow, exhaust will glow from it, it is alot hotter than the propane, I keep these with me where ever i go. Nice and portable, still not as good as a real set of oxygen/acetylene, but works well for having a portable heat source

1466178392573-873786369.jpg

1466178685679-1764938634.jpg

That's a sweet little torch.  I need one too. 

I did the rear pads and rotors on my truck so now I've got all 4 corners done within the last month or so.   Also put part of the exhaust back on so now it exits under the box instead of the cab.  Much nicer in the cab now.  Sounds the same on the outside.

Next paycheck will be rear different rebuild. Gears should still be good bit need bearings and seals.  And the output seal on the tcase. 

2 hours ago, jay said:

2 hours ago, jay said:

1 hour ago, jay said:

me too!! do PA sell those ?

Not sure, I think this one originally came from home hardware? Can't remember it's been a while.

So went for a drive after doing the brakes and they started smoking.  The calipers seemed fine when I changed the pads but I guess not.  Swapped those out today and going to test them on the way up to Toms.  

Also not rig related but played in a softball tournament and our team got destroyed.  Lol

Tireman got the 2 tires I ordered in today, so I had to throw them on!

They ride really really nice, and don't seem to be too hard on the motor. I won't be running these on the street....well maybe for a few days :)

I've gotta do some rear mudguard trimming and make sure there's no bodywork interference issues on flex before I take it out ;)

IMG_20160621_142805.jpg

IMG_20160621_142855.jpg

Archived