• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Got my new trans line rigged up.  Better than the old set up for sure.   

Pulled the pan to change the fluid and there's a fair bit (read A LOT) of metal shavings in the oil.   I think I might end up having to replace this one too :(  

Going to pick up some new filters for it and fill it with fresh fluid and hope.  

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When my trans went funny, I had a ton of metal dust in the fluid, and the magnet had probably a half inch of material on it. 

It took a couple of weeks of driving for it to finally get back to normal. Well, 90% normal. 

Is it throwing any codes?  When mine first started acting up, it threw a few. Most went away, except for one for the line pressure sensor. 

Did you have the pan off to start with before putting it in your truck. Some small amount of  fine "silt like" material in the pan that hasn't been off since new I would consider normal. You say metal filings, are they sharp, gritty or just a discolouration in the fluid? Also when you added new fluid to this trans , the strong new detergents might have loosened up any dirt holding some of the "silt like" material suspending it into the fluid. 

If it is sharp shiny metal that is gritty, you definitely have an issue that will lead to failure

1 hour ago, autumnwalker said:

Any idea what caused this one to go bad?

FIRE!!!!     plus all the fluid leaking out while it was still moving.  

1 hour ago, Powerram said:

Did you have the pan off to start with before putting it in your truck. Some small amount of  fine "silt like" material in the pan that hasn't been off since new I would consider normal. You say metal filings, are they sharp, gritty or just a discolouration in the fluid? Also when you added new fluid to this trans , the strong new detergents might have loosened up any dirt holding some of the "silt like" material suspending it into the fluid. 

If it is sharp shiny metal that is gritty, you definitely have an issue that will lead to failure

I had the pan off before I installed it. And it's shiny metallic fillings throughout the fluid. More than there should be for sure.  

Before I drained it I started the truck to check my line fix. The line held up great but  the trans was making a weird noise. Almost like something was just barely hitting something else as it spun. 

20 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

@Brunet-Hemi I can maybe price you up some higher quality fluids for your trans. Something along the lines of Liqui-moly or Eneos but I am not 100% sure that we sell what you would need at my work

I'm happy with the line the way it is.  Anything near exhaust is hard line and the soft hose I used is rated for ATF. Thanks for the offer though. 

I'm probably just going to go to Kennys and get another.   I'm still under what I would of paid to get one anywhere else.  

And Tom and I have basically mastered getting a trans in my truck. 

14 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

By "something along the lines" I meant a high quality ATF fluid but no worries, the offer stands if you change your mind

Sorry I read to fast lol.   From my experience and research this transmission is super picky and needs ATF+4 and nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Sorry I read to fast lol.   From my experience and research this transmission is super picky and needs ATF+4 and nothing else. 

5 speed swap and then u don't gotta deal with lines haha or picky atf

Fixed some holes in the bumper and gave it a coat of paint. When I had the bumper off I decided to look at the washer fluid pump as it never worked, I discovered  why :) nothing says pro like a set of alligator clips with about 18 inches of excess wire twisted together. Normally I would have soldered them (I tired but my old butane iron gave up the ghost and just would not get hot enough). So did the best I could with some butt connectors and some heat shrink, and the washer fluid works now, super stoked as you wouldn't believe how much you miss it.

bad wiring4.JPG

bad wiring.JPG

fixed.JPG

only took it down to 150 grit so you will always see the filler :) just wanted the holes fixed and the duct tape gone, figured it would be covered in bugs and dirt soon anyway.

Both repairs are backed with fiberglass and cloth on the backside. The hole on the drivers side was considerable so I tried some of the adhesive metal mesh so the fiberglass and cloth would not just fall through the hole, worked great, quite impressed.

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

4 minutes ago, flibby said:

only took it down to 150 grit so you will always see the filler :) just wanted the holes fixed and the duct tape gone, figured it would be covered in bugs and dirt soon anyway.

Both repairs are backed with fiberglass and cloth on the backside. The hole on the drivers side was considerable so I tried some of the adhesive metal mesh so the fiberglass and cloth would not just fall through the hole, worked great, quite impressed.

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

This is the bumper? How big are the holes, id weld it up for ya if u want, not knocking your work, looks good, but me personally, I don't mind fill , or a bit of fiberglass as long as there is something behind it, the rust will spread under your repair and form a bigger hole but you won't notice till it falls off,. I look at vehicles all the time that have a little bondo repair here and there and the owners say it just a little hole till I drive my screwdriver or fist through it no where close to where the little hole was because the rust spread under the repair and didn't show on the shiny side till it is a huge hole. I just finished welding cab sills and corners on my truck. Not show quality but I know it is just going to get dented anyway.

The first pic is what I cut out and the inner drop had some rust too. I welded inner drop and butter skin on, looks much better and would be perfect with a skim if filler. 

Repair has no body fill and is the primer spot 

The patch I used was the lower part of a 1989 f150 bedside, the profiles are very close but not perfect. Like I said it will just get dented.

IMG_20160423_195515885.jpg

IMG_20160423_195542660.jpg

IMG_20160529_073323.jpg

Installed a 50A noise suppressor to my 12v line in order to band-aid the 'junk yard alternator whine' on my 2 way and CB radios.

Whilst I had my dash apart, I removed the multiple layers of jumpered wire hacks I have previously installed for my radios & USB power lines and rewired them properly.

Now I have comms that I can use...and I hate not having comms even tho I'm usually just listening :)

IMG_20160528_223239.jpg

3 hours ago, flibby said:t

2 hours ago, flibby said:

lol, my garage is my concrete patio and no welder, fix was aesthetic only :) looks better than duct tape.

if I had a welder and more disposable income trust me, this thing would have a full steel bumper by now :)

I know your pain, I welded my truck laying in mud and while it was raining with an elcheapo mastercraft welder, truck didn't fit in the mud floor garage.

51 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Aquired another transmission from Kenny yesterday.   Going to open it up swap the valve body as mine is slightly different  and she should be good to go.  

Awesome, maybe now our trucks can play together again

Feels so good to have 4 M/T's and 4 matching rims....thanks Matt! :)

Also picked up some cheap but ever-so 80's styled 'superior industries van nuys california' 15x8 mag wheels for the 33's

In an ideal world, I'd just have 1 set of wheels with 33x10.50r15 KM2's or similar tires ..maybe one day!

IMG_20160603_135327.jpg

IMG_20160603_134722.jpg

IMG_20160603_135310.jpg

IMG_20160603_134739.jpg

IMG_20160602_113221.jpg

IMG_20160602_113158.jpg

Archived