• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exploded my alternator belt on Magazine Hill after coffee tonight. Luckily I made home under battery power.

I guess my alternator bearing took its victim LOL

I've been putting this belt job off for a looooong time. To remove it I have to remove the steering pump belt, and the long adjuster for that is seized between the engine behind a backing plate. I know with these shitty alloy bolts, its gonna snap as soon as I touch it.

I've got it soaking in PB......

Found an alternator and pulled the Ram 2500 front driveshaft from Kennys.

Replacing an alternator on an Xterra is a miserable job LOL. Let's hope number 3 holds up :)

I managed to get some heat on the steering pump adjuster, enough to get a few turns, add antiseize and free it up :)

So new belts for the 1st time....and looooong overdue LOL

I was going to try and use a Chev alternator, but with the SAS, I can't fit one through any of the gaps as they're Chev alternator is bigger. No biggies, I'll just have the couple of spares I have reconditioned.

Test fitted the RAM driveshaft and the ujoints are bigger, so I'm on the hunt for a combination ujoint - 79 Bronco to later 90s Ram 2500.

IMG_20160430_143905.jpg

IMG_20160430_173820.jpg

IMG_20160430_175719.jpg

Wow, they didn't have any Ford trucks there to grab a driveshaft from? Hopefully Lil'monster has one. Any Ford f150 from the early 70's up to 1996 will work. They all have the slip in the drive shaft like the Dodge one you have. Also some of the bronco II and explorers have the same front u-joint as Ford 1/2 ton  and a flange at the t-case like your Nissan flange.

18 hours ago, Powerram said:

Wow, they didn't have any Ford trucks there to grab a driveshaft from? Hopefully Lil'monster has one. Any Ford f150 from the early 70's up to 1996 will work. They all have the slip in the drive shaft like the Dodge one you have. Also some of the bronco II and explorers have the same front u-joint as Ford 1/2 ton  and a flange at the t-case like your Nissan flange.

Naaa, there's a lot of 2WD rigs in there as you'd expect.

2 hours ago, jay said:

Installed my sensible shoes - I'm really digging these 31" Kelly TSRs. I've only got 2, but I might have to try and get 2 more to make the full set.

IMG_20160501_133649.jpg

IMG_20160501_133450.jpg

Looking Good!

Got the new to me 1 ton 4x4 running and took her for a rip around the yard. It actually seems to run pretty smooth. Might have a plan for that engine. Trans shifts smooth up to 3rd.  Everything sounds good. It has some rusted injector line issues, she leaves a small trail of diesel everywhere. 

IMG_20160501_185749742.jpg

IMG_20160501_185808221_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jay said:

Picked up a mirror - GD 8mm Nissan bolt snapped in the housing - I hate those alloy(?) bolts

Only 1 Xterra left in the yard now :(

IMG_20160516_130155.jpg

Just be done with ridgid mirrors and install Ford ones, or square body Chev ones, but Ford mirrors are easier to find. And they take a beating too. Also you don't have to have em stick out as far as mine, that's an added piece of steel to pull my trailer

IV hit everything with my mirrors from barbed wire fences, telephone poles, trees, buildings , junk trucks/cars and probably more I'm forgetting

IV hit them so hard, when they folded they dented the door where the glass part hit. These are still original to this truck

IMG_20160516_181856058.jpg

IMG_20160516_181902333.jpg

That Ford style is the best.  Period.  IMHO, lol.  I had them on my Toy, and I'm putting them on the Scout.  Buy 'em at Crappy Tire.  Only issue I have at the moment is I can't find a 'convex' head for the RH side, but I always add a small round convex mirror anyway.

I have the OEM Chev style on the Burb and love 'em as well, but they only contour to the Chev door.  The Ford style fits any door.

I have the ford style on my 82 yota but didnt have a drill press to drill the stainless out on them properly so I just welded the little ******* to the doors... Dont do that

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

That Ford style is the best.  Period.  IMHO, lol.  I had them on my Toy, and I'm putting them on the Scout.  Buy 'em at Crappy Tire.  Only issue I have at the moment is I can't find a 'convex' head for the RH side, but I always add a small round convex mirror anyway.

I have the OEM Chev style on the Burb and love 'em as well, but they only contour to the Chev door.  The Ford style fits any door.

I got a convex you can have I think

18 hours ago, jay said:

Picked up a mirror - GD 8mm Nissan bolt snapped in the housing - I hate those alloy(?) bolts

Only 1 Xterra left in the yard now :(

IMG_20160516_130155.jpg

if you need any parts from my trucks just let me know, been getting a few offers but I still have em.

Archived