• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Tried fixing my trailer, got pissed off so I changed my front and rear diff oil. Rear one was pretty dirty but no metal on the plug. Front one came out crystal clear to my surprise and again no metal on the plug. Slightly less pissed off at my trailer now :)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took the Sub back to my brother's and put 'er away in the compound at least until the weekend.

Something was gnawing at me, there is a slight rattle at slow speed bumps.  The truck is generally very very squeak and rattle free.  (Although road noise is extremely loud compared to a new one! lol)

Grabbed the two front shocks.  The bushings are each about 50% missing.........  There's the rattle!

I have new F250 shock towers and Bilstein extended length shocks sitting on the shelf.....

I also replaced the drivers side windshield wiper.  The one I took off I just installed a couple of months ago.  The plastic mount is crap and just lets the wiper twist and flop.  It fell off in the rain last week at NIGHT.  That was bad....  Hope I can find the receipt. 

I bought a Costco Michelin this time.  Seems to fit much better.

I hate mismatched stuff, I'll be buying another Michelin one for the passenger side.

Also the heater core is leaking again.  Off and on for the last several years.  Time to repair it...........

It leaks on the all-metal passenger side floor.  No wet carpet to worry about!

Got a transmission from Kenny's u pull for $150 or the door! 

It's in the box of the truck now sitting at Tom's.  

I lost 3rd on the way to Tom's though.  4000rpm at 60kmh is not good for the truck. Lol

Going start pulling mine out today see how much I can get done.  Hoping to be back on the road by tomorrow. 

Bit of maintenance / upgrade started yesterday.  Don't know when I'll get to finish it!  Busy the next couple of days, and won't be the best weather to work outside anyway!

Jack stands under the frame at first to check axle articulation as much as possible.  The shocks were limiting down travel by an inch.  Shocks were a good length until I installed the 1" 'zero-rate' leaf I have in the springs.

P3312455.JPG

P3312456.JPG

P3312457.JPG

All beefy axle, suspension and steering components here!  Even grease-able spring bushings all three positions.  The anti-sway bar dis-connected.  I used to hook it back up for the highway but I don't notice much difference, springs must be a little stiff.  So I don't use it at all anymore.  Shock removed.  Stock upper mount in upper left.

P3312458.JPG

Bushings were gone in the 15 year old Rancho RS9000 shocks.  But the valving was still fine! Anyone want used shocks? 

One of the best shocks for my truck is the Bilstein 5100s, specially valved by ORD.  But they are a bit longer.  So new upper mounts required.

I added the rear ones a couple years ago.  I noticed the difference, less 'School bus bounce'.

P3312462.JPG

P3312463.JPG

Upper shock mount....

P3312461.JPG

removed....

P3312465.JPG

Test fitting.  Right front was basically finished some time after that pic, no pic yet, still drivers side to finish. On right front I added two more bolts and cut the bottom off. RF was time consuming, had to steer clear of the brake lines inside the frame, and with the headers right there not much room to work!  F250 shock mounts.  And not the first Ford part on the truck either!  Rear leaf spring U-bolt plates are as well!  Required for a U-bolt flip on  1-Ton Chev axle.

Top of the shock tower is hidden behind the inner wheel well.

P3312469.JPG

Yes, you can have those shocks if they are of any use to you.  Otherwise they are going to the scrap metal pile!

I will photo the shock mount part number.  They are F250 mounts.  I got them from the states not knowing what they were as part of the package with the shocks and other stuff.  They are listed as 46USD a pair, (plus exchange, shipping, duty, blah blah blah.)  Don't know what they would be locally, but likely decent.

thanks - they look like Ford E5TZ 18183A

https://www.google.ca/search?q=E5TZ+18183A&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=DXT-VumCOorgmwGjkafYDw

http://classicbroncos.com/f250shockmounts.shtml

I'm asking because I'm going to have to deal with my front shock mount (at some point) as my up travel is very limited with the 4.5 inch lift XJ shocks I have.

Got my Trans out today :)   both are sitting on the tailgate.  Just need to swap over solenoid pack and valve body.  (they made some internal changes to them in 2009 but they still bolt right in) then throw in the new to me transmission and pray it works. 

20160402_182544.jpg

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎01 at 7:15 AM, jay said:

thanks - they look like Ford E5TZ 18183A

https://www.google.ca/search?q=E5TZ+18183A&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=DXT-VumCOorgmwGjkafYDw

http://classicbroncos.com/f250shockmounts.shtml

I'm asking because I'm going to have to deal with my front shock mount (at some point) as my up travel is very limited with the 4.5 inch lift XJ shocks I have.

I got mine from a Ford dealer in Sydney a few years ago . I think they were around $40 for the pair at the time . 

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

Fixed my diff lock, noticed it wouldn't engage and then discovered that the wires on the diff are corroded. As Adam would say: "well, there's your problem" 

Pulled the plugs out of the connector, rewired it and now she engages. Onto the next issue. 

I hate my life! 

Trans took forever to line up.  Then we managed to get 2 bolts. Woooooo.

Used those bolts to pull the tans in to the engine.  A little bit on either bolt at a time.  I guess I went to far with one of them because MY ENGINE BLOCK CRACKED!!!!!!!!!! ( totally my own fault.  Lesson learned) Luckily it was only part that's for structural support of the Trans. The engine itself should be fine.  So I figured what the hell I'll finish putting it together at least it'll be drivable and I'll weld that part back together later. 

Carry on with the rest of what needs to be done. Was pulling out a sensor to swap in one from my Trans and it snapped off the end in the housing.  I proceded to swear then took this as a sign and came home.  

Round 2 tomorrow after work. 

20160403_162839.jpg

5 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

I hate my life! 

Trans took forever to line up.  Then we managed to get 2 bolts. Woooooo.

Used those bolts to pull the tans in to the engine.  A little bit on either bolt at a time.  I guess I went to far with one of them because MY ENGINE BLOCK CRACKED!!!!!!!!!! ( totally my own fault.  Lesson learned) Luckily it was only part that's for structural support of the Trans. The engine itself should be fine.  So I figured what the hell I'll finish putting it together at least it'll be drivable and I'll weld that part back together later. 

Carry on with the rest of what needs to be done. Was pulling out a sensor to swap in one from my Trans and it snapped off the end in the housing.  I proceded to swear then took this as a sign and came home.  

Round 2 tomorrow after work. 

20160403_162839.jpg

When you were tightening up bolts, was the torque converter still movable or was it tight?

Never thought to check.  It's tight now though. Last time I did this I was able to move the TC with screw driver through the flywheel to line it up. This time I can't so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to line up the bolt holess. 

Archived