• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

3 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

I might have to take you up on that.  I don't know much about the 14 bolt. Should it handle 40s of I put chromoloy axles in it? 

Full floater 14 bolt will handle 40's all day long with factory shafts . Semi floater 14 bolt should be stronger than my 9" and u seen how hard I run that with factory shafts and 39" tires.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite thing about a 14 bolt Is the added pinion bearing that prevents pinion walk within the housing, setting up gears in a 14 bolt is super easy, it has rotational side bearing adjustments, huge axle shafts 

Downside is it is bulky

14 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Aren't they really easy to shave the housing  too?  Or is that the 10 bolt?

14 bolt can be shaved, I haven't shaved mine, it rubbed in a few hard trails , but never needed to take any off of it, just slight line change. IV got a few 14 bolts up here. I ran the 14 bolt in place of a Dodge Dana 60. Both good axles but I prefer the 14 bolt if I had a choice.

Had to take off the clutch fan & fan blade this afternoon. Running without them until tomorrow.

The new fan plate I installed earlier this week is defective and the bearing is almost gone after only 40 kms. Noticed this time there is a small piece missing from one fan blade after the last episode when the bearing failed completely. Can't believe that this small piece could lead to pre-mature bearing failure..could it?

IMG_6800.JPG

Checked fluids and removed yet another heat shield since it corroded to the point that it was vibrating on my exhaust and was annoying.  Also went to check my spark plugs but Nissan decided to place them so far down that I didn't have an extension long enough to get them out.......I'm sure there fine......

7 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Good enough for me.  Again as long as you don't mind hanging on to them for a bit. 

No worries, it's a parts truck they are in, it's not going anywhere. I checked my good suburban 2500 today, it's a 99, the other is a 92 , the 99 has a full floater in it and I'm sure the ol boy I bought the 92 from said it was full floater also.

2 hours ago, jay said:

Corroded exhaust heat shields, and impossible to reach plugs....its a Nissan thing LOL

Apparently so haha  The plugs have been on there for 142,000kms so it would be nice to see how they're holding up lol

49 minutes ago, jay said:

Time for a change LOL.

IDK about gen 2's, but onmine #6 is buried under the firewall. I would guess at 170k it's probably the original too. Most folks give up on changing it.

Yep, it's a PITA. Had to make the change in the 3.3 in my Pathfinder. Laying on the engine completely blind with a Frankenstein-esque mix of u-joint & extensions

1 hour ago, Command said:

Apparently so haha  The plugs have been on there for 142,000kms so it would be nice to see how they're holding up lol

They are supposed to be good for 160k. Replace them with the same plugs. # 5 is the PITA on the 4.0 (under the plastic runners). Some people used extensions & joints & have success. I pulled the intake manifold. Also took the opportunity to add an intake manifold spacer at the same time ;) 

2 hours ago, jay said:

Time for a change LOL.

IDK about gen 2's, but on mine #6 is buried under the firewall. I would guess at 170k it's probably the original too. Most folks give up on changing it.

Oh yeah, I believe it's still crammed in an unreasonable place and because it's Nissan i'll probably have to remove the front bumper, quarter panel and the tailgate to remove it haha

1 hour ago, TRUXterra said:

Yep, it's a PITA. Had to make the change in the 3.3 in my Pathfinder. Laying on the engine completely blind with a Frankenstein-esque mix of u-joint & extensions

They are supposed to be good for 160k. Replace them with the same plugs. # 5 is the PITA on the 4.0 (under the plastic runners). Some people used extensions & joints & have success. I pulled the intake manifold. Also took the opportunity to add an intake manifold spacer at the same time ;) 

Key phrase is "suppose to be" haha.  Same plugs....really? Sounds like my '01 silverado all over again.  Replaced them with the exact same spec plugs except they were iridium, truck ran like crap.  Put the old ones back in and it ran fine........go figure.

Matt Brunet although the 14 bolts are plentiful, stout, and cheap, (I have 2, none for sale!), if I was running a newer truck like yours I'd really consider buying a salvage yard 11 something inch AAM out of a newer Dodge 2500.  With disc brakes too.

As Matt Powerram says no problem with strength in the 14 Bolt, and adding gears, etc etc.

I've bought the true shave kit just a couple months ago, might get around to installing it............... soon............

9 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Matt Brunet although the 14 bolts are plentiful, stout, and cheap, (I have 2, none for sale!), if I was running a newer truck like yours I'd really consider buying a salvage yard 11 something inch AAM out of a newer Dodge 2500.  With disc brakes too.

As Matt Powerram says no problem with strength in the 14 Bolt, and adding gears, etc etc.

I've bought the true shave kit just a couple months ago, might get around to installing it............... soon............

Definitely something to think about.  It's going to be a while before anything gets swapped into it anyway. Soooooooo many other things to do first. 

Like my brand new starter that I had to tap with a hammer to get to start.  Yeah 3 year warranty! 

Also Jessy got some water in her engine through the exhaust. Wouldn't start. Pulled the plugs drained the oil, left it open over night and into the next afternoon to dry out.  Reassembled and she started :D

When I went to back into a spot at Canadian Tire today, I found out that the new tires were rubbing the control arms a bit.  Put a washer on the steering stops, and all seems good now.  I did find out that I need a new ujoint on the pass side front axel though.  Not a ton of play in it, but it's on its way out.

18 hours ago, Command said:

Oh yeah, I believe it's still crammed in an unreasonable place and because it's Nissan i'll probably have to remove the front bumper, quarter panel and the tailgate to remove it haha

Key phrase is "suppose to be" haha.  Same plugs....really? Sounds like my '01 silverado all over again.  Replaced them with the exact same spec plugs except they were iridium, truck ran like crap.  Put the old ones back in and it ran fine........go figure.

Yes, use the same. Lots of people had problems using other plugs after changing them with non-OEM. Stock plug is NGK PLFR5A-11. Google Frontier spark plug change and there are a few videos to walk you through it.

While you're in there consider an IMS. Pic below. It does make a difference ;) Thread here http://www.thenewx.org/forum/78-members-product-sale/52189-mps-xtp-intake-manifold-spacer-ims.html

IMS.jpg

Replaced the complete belt driven fan assembly, from mount to fan blade. It's nice to have connections; mount, pulley, tensioner & fan blade for $100 cash. It came from a 2014 Pathfinder with 16.4k kms ;) 

Should have gone tis route the first time. The Dorman part that failed will be covered by warranty so I can return it for a cash refund (~$75).

Archived