• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If 

5 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Installed my new power steering cooler the other day, and filled it up today. Driving it home from Tom's the trans was acting really weird, seemed to not go past what it think is 3rd.   

checked the code P0734 - gear ratio error in 4th

did some research and the google machine had many people with the same issue,  and 1 of 2 things fixed it.

1. A complete rebuild/New Transmission OR

2. Output/Input speed sensor

now #2 doesn't make sense to me seeing as it only faults 1 gear,

Those 2 sensors talk to each other and also turn at different known speeds, the input speed sensor monitors actual input speed from engine, and the out put sensor monitors drive shaft speed. It calculates preset numbers bedteen the two sensors to monitor ant tranny slip. The numbers are all fixed with the ratios of the gears in the transmission. If it senses a wrong number, it is noted to the computer as a "slip condition " within the trans and will probably go into limp mode.

1 minute ago, Powerram said:

If 

Those 2 sensors talk to each other and also turn at different known speeds, the input speed sensor monitors actual input speed from engine, and the out put sensor monitors drive shaft speed. It calculates preset numbers bedteen the two sensors to monitor ant tranny slip. The numbers are all fixed with the ratios of the gears in the transmission. If it senses a wrong number, it is noted to the computer as a "slip condition " within the trans and will probably go into limp mode.

yeah that's what i learned from my googling. that those sensors is what would trip this code,   It doesn't go into full limp mode but it won't go past 3rd.   

if they were faulted i feel it would happen in more than 1 gear. but it seems more than one person fixed it with just the output sensor.      if that doesn't work I'll have to talk to someone who knows more about transmissions. this is the first time I've had any issues that weren't solved by topping up fluid.

1 minute ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

yeah that's what i learned from my googling. that those sensors is what would trip this code,   It doesn't go into full limp mode but it won't go past 3rd.   

if they were faulted i feel it would happen in more than 1 gear. but it seems more than one person fixed it with just the output sensor.      if that doesn't work I'll have to talk to someone who knows more about transmissions. this is the first time I've had any issues that weren't solved by topping up fluid.

16 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Installed my new power steering cooler the other day, and filled it up today. Driving it home from Tom's the trans was acting really weird, seemed to not go past what it think is 3rd.   

checked the code P0734 - gear ratio error in 4th

did some research and the google machine had many people with the same issue,  and 1 of 2 things fixed it.

1. A complete rebuild/New Transmission OR

2. Output/Input speed sensor

now #2 doesn't make sense to me seeing as it only faults 1 gear

Common Problems That Trigger the P0733 Code

Defective 4th gear related shift solenoid

Defective 4th gear related gear set or clutch pack 

Defective Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

Defective Valve Body

Dirty transmission fluid that restricts the hydraulic passages

1 minute ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

yup found that page too :)

don't know  where they are located in the transmission or how to diagnose which one it is lol

Right, the fault could be in the sensor itself causing limp mode. 4th lockout is a form of limp mode to prevent any further damage happening to trans, it only senses an issue in 4 the gear, no slip in other gears. I'm leaning towards a solenoid issue , or a hydraulic pressure issue causing slip, if I had to guess where it doesn't happen except only in 4th. But that is just a guess without looking at it and only a guess.

I agree with your logic 100%  and I honestly have little hope in the sensor but it's cheap and easy. I like cheap and easy.  and has worked more than once according to several different dodge forums ( I know not the most reliable source of info but sometimes helpful).

18 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

I'm just glad I can still drive it around town and on the trails. highway works too just revs really high

Would sound cool, but I'd get it fixed asap to prevent any other damage wether u fix it yourself or take it to a tranny shop.

I'm not ment  to have autos, somehow they fail or I wreck them. I stick to manual forever

1 hour ago, Powerram said:

Would sound cool, but I'd get it fixed asap to prevent any other damage wether u fix it yourself or take it to a tranny shop.

I'm not ment  to have autos, somehow they fail or I wreck them. I stick to manual forever

Haha, I too don't seem to have much luck with autos!

soooooooooooo new sensor, same problem!!!!   figured as much.

I have found a super handy manual online and made sure to save it so i don't have to ever look for it again.  It has pretty much everything I need to know about the 545rfe trans including troubleshooting and dis-assembly :)

so after reading that and taking the truck for another drive and paying close attention to what it's doing I think it may be the OD clutch. seeing as both 4th and 5th have issues and that's the only common part between the two that i can find.  lucky for me i can test the clutches with the trans still in the truck :) just have to pull the valve body and apply about 30psi of air to the various clutch passages which will engage the clutch ("a soft thump will be heard") if it's working correctly.   at the same time I'll inspect whatever I can see and hopefully it all goes well.

24 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

I have found a super handy manual online and made sure to save it so i don't have to ever look for it again.  It has pretty much everything I need to know about the 545rfe trans including troubleshooting and dis-assembly :)

so after reading that and taking the truck for another drive and paying close attention to what it's doing I think it may be the OD clutch. seeing as both 4th and 5th have issues and that's the only common part between the two that i can find.  lucky for me i can test the clutches with the trans still in the truck :) just have to pull the valve body and apply about 30psi of air to the various clutch passages which will engage the clutch ("a soft thump will be heard") if it's working correctly.   at the same time I'll inspect whatever I can see and hopefully it all goes well.

IDK if somebody mentioned before, but how's the trans oil looking? Just wondering, since we patched that line and it's been sat a while.

Did you ever get a proper line for it?

Just FYI -  mine was doing some weird long changes and had really bad lockup shudder.....so bad, I think it was the main reason the previous owner got rid if the X.

An oil change fixed all the issues i had with it.

14 minutes ago, Eastcoastcam said:

Matt... The 545rfe is the same transmission as in the WJ Grand Cherokees too... Maybe You'll need to go the same route as Derek, and have one ready to swap in and your problems will go away... ;) lol!

LOL!  Hey, it did work for me though!!!

That trans is pretty damn sensitive to proper fluid levels.  Do a fluid change though, and it might make a difference.  The ATF +4 is pretty damn extensive though, which sucks if it doesn't fix it.

If you do change it, remove the valve body, take off the plate over the springs, and check to make sure it all looks good.

I think there are only 8 bolts that hold it in.

1738D710-4388-480E-A9D4-D497503F6DE7.jpg

Here it is removed.

99144E4A-F24B-4498-BA00-0055331D2049.jpg

5A806561-8A63-448C-9026-E4858158A781.jpg

Remove that plate.

A921C542-B00B-42BA-86C7-DCBB433BD94D.jpg

Make sure the valves move freely, and the plate is perfectly flat.

31D2DFF0-FE1D-4826-A1A3-6FE21B625CAE.jpg

1 hour ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

some trans the od band will also engage as engine brake. try manually shifting down to 2nd then 1st at speed. if it doesnt raise rpm and goes to a false neutral until you accelerate again can verify if it is the od band   

Tried manually down shifting already it won't let me. I think is a safety thing since it's ****** it won't let me do things. 

Also the OD clutch it used for 3rd as well and 3rd works fine so I have no clue what's going on. O well. I'll test all the clutches anyway and hope I cam find the problem.  Won't be able to tell much more until I tear it open. 

11 hours ago, jay said:

...all I did was runs couple of oil changes - no flush

The Scout linkage shifts into Park but the pawl or whatever it is isn't holding, I carry chocks around with me now.  I'm hoping a simple fluid change helps.  May have to do a flush, I wouldn't know how.  Fluid probably hadn't been changed in 10-20 years.  Previous owner, of 20 years, says he never changed the diff fluids!

Archived