• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Not near as interesting as Jay's build...... :-)

On Sunday I re-installed my RF brake caliper.  When I then was prepping my Warn Premium locking hub to go back in, one of the snap-ring / springs is stretched and no good.  It is like a tiny, short slinky.  About 1" diameter, thin steel, 2-3 wraps.  All stretched to heck.  I didn't have a snap ring the same size, and I wonder if  snap ring would be too thick anyway. So I mentioned it to my brother, he thinks for a moment, and digs out 2 of exactly what I needed. They were left over parts (designed for another application), of when he installed Dynatrac Free-Spin hubs on his '08 Dodge diesel.  They were for a Ford app or something.  And he had opted for the Warn Premium hubs over the DynaTrac hubs.

This clip wasn't the wave spring on the hub cap, but holding the gear set together in a 'cartridge'.

Still when prepping for installing the hub, there was a thrust washer I wasn't sure where it would go. Although there only seems to be one spot.  (My locking hub had separated before or upon removal.)  So I pulled the locking hub cap off the LF side.  And watched the water pour out of the hub.

Guess she is going to be laid up a few more weeks until I clean/repair/replace the bearings on the LF side as well!   I knew they should be looked at after the state of the RF. I was just hoping to delay it until later in the spring with warmer weather and longer days, working outside.

Greasing wheel bearings is the one great weak spot of my maintenance regime.......

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Not near as interesting as Jay's build...... :-)

On Sunday I re-installed my RF brake caliper.  When I then was prepping my Warn Premium locking hub to go back in, one of the snap-ring / springs is stretched and no good.  It is like a tiny, short slinky.  About 1" diameter, thin steel, 2-3 wraps.  All stretched to heck.  I didn't have a snap ring the same size, and I wonder if  snap ring would be too thick anyway. So I mentioned it to my brother, he thinks for a moment, and digs out 2 of exactly what I needed. They were left over parts (designed for another application), of when he installed Dynatrac Free-Spin hubs on his '08 Dodge diesel.  They were for a Ford app or something.  And he had opted for the Warn Premium hubs over the DynaTrac hubs.

This clip wasn't the wave spring on the hub cap, but holding the gear set together in a 'cartridge'.

Still when prepping for installing the hub, there was a thrust washer I wasn't sure where it would go. Although there only seems to be one spot.  (My locking hub had separated before or upon removal.)  So I pulled the locking hub cap off the LF side.  And watched the water pour out of the hub.

Guess she is going to be laid up a few more weeks until I clean/repair/replace the bearings on the LF side as well!   I knew they should be looked at after the state of the RF. I was just hoping to delay it until later in the spring with warmer weather and longer days, working outside.

Greasing wheel bearings is the one great weak spot of my maintenance regime.......

If there is that much water in your hubs , sounds like you need new slingers letting water follow the stub shaft through the spindle

Warn hub gaskets are known issues. Almost every post on forums you read recommend a gasket from a tube to seal the hub. I experienced this as well Eugene with a new set of Warn 29091 hubs on a pathfinder. 2 months later (axle replacement), I found water in the hubs.

The slinger on the RF did look good.  But the ~2' diameter seal that sits between it and the spindle was twisted up. 

And you have to know how I drive it.  Put it in water, then drive '20' mins to home, and let it stew in our damp atmosphere for 3 years! lol

I'll take a better look when I do the LF, and check them once a year - maybe............

2 hours ago, TRUXterra said:

Warn hub gaskets are known issues. Almost every post on forums you read recommend a gasket from a tube to seal the hub. I experienced this as well Eugene with a new set of Warn 29091 hubs on a pathfinder. 2 months later (axle replacement), I found water in the hubs.

Shouldn't be any gasket on the hub's on the Chevy  Dana 60. Just rubber o-ring 

I got my new rims and tires balanced today and threw them on. Went and tested them in a trail i always needed 4x4 in and breezed through it like I was driving on pavement in 2wd. The only thing I need to do is get a heat gun and use it to push in the splash guard about 2cm to avoid rubbing at full crank.

12788420_1704807436454081_1848605589_o.jpg

12802870_1704680589800099_9177037932321106405_n.jpg

6 minutes ago, jay said:

Very nice !

Although u can't condone you breaking rule #1 :P:)

Looked around what rule number one am I breaking? :1003:

It's registered & insured or am I looking at the wrong rule list

1 hour ago, jay said:

LOL just teasing :)

Rule #1 - never wheel alone

oh aha, It wasn't a bad trail at all, coulda winched myself out if I manged to get er stuck

You had me confused there for a bit

8 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

Trimmed out a bit of the front bumper and the bottom of the inner fender on the Overland, where the tires would rub when turned and backing up. 

I noticed the tires looked tight in the 'After' picture'!

13 hours ago, Powerram said:

Shouldn't be any gasket on the hub's on the Chevy  Dana 60. Just rubber o-ring 

Yeap, rubber O-Ring, but seemed to be awful loose.

Probably combination of bad o-ring and slinger seals. IV got mine on the kitchen table ,gonna tear into it in a bit, figured I'd finish the suspension and steering , then throw the engine in, cus when the engine is in, I'll wanna try her out so I don't want to have to do a bunch of little stuff haha

Archived