• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

hahaha Jay those instructions are fantastic!

Today I got the sway bar end links replaced, an MVI done, got the truck registered and drove around town for a victory lap :) (yes I attached my plate right in the DMV parking lot :P)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Command:  Truck wasn't registered?  Or are you back in NS?

Jay:  I'd like to know how you make out with that radio and what does Tri-Band really mean!

And c'mon, you gotta paint those coils!  I pick gray.  Or red.  Or whatever colour you have at home besides black!

Everyone:  We need a contest to pick colours for Jay's coils.  I can start a new thread..........

LOL Eugene!! those coils are grey/silver underneath - they were put away wet a few times by the looks of it LOL

The radio - tri-band just means 3 different frequency bands, in this case 70cm, 1.25m & 2m - we are mostly interested in the area just above the official 2 meter band ;) - which most of these Chinese dual/tri band radios seem to be able to operate on (and above!).

They're also capable of working with the FRS radios you can buy in Walmart etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_frequency_allocations

IMG_20160216_182439.thumb.jpg.69f78d1c5e

Got the radio wired in, and it was working for a while on FM radio stations and transmit/receive on the club frequency. But now I have it all buttoned up it stopped working on any frequency, transmit or receive. Sounds like a bad crystal or something like that on the modulation gone wacky.

It was great for the 20 minutes I had it working.

My initial thoughts were...it's just like my hand held, with the same menu system & programming etc. The speaker was nice and loud too!

I would have like to test the range, but I've requested a return now :(

IMG_20160217_141920.jpg

1 hour ago, jay said:

Got the radio wired in, and it was working for a while on FM radio stations and transmit/receive on the club frequency. But now I have it all buttoned up it stopped working on any frequency, transmit or receive. Sounds like a bad crystal or something like that on the modulation gone wacky.

It was great for the 20 minutes I had it working.

My initial thoughts were...it's just like my hand held, with the same menu system & programming etc. The speaker was nice and loud too!

I would have like to test the range, but I've requested a return now :(

If you get it back to working, we can test it between my house and yours. we know the handheld works between there... can even try the CBs from "hill to hill"

Installed new RC Steering stabilizer and relocation brackets from APJ's. Went out for a run to test it out and punctured a tire. Plugged tire and decided to rotate. Quick fixed front sway bar skid plate from falling. it's been a full day.

Those who know me, know I NEVER EVER wash the (poor) X - as you can see in the video LOL. Usually the rain gets the outside, but inner fenders etc not so much.

So I'm blown away at the state of my inner fenders after holding on to 3 years of damp mud and crapola :)

She's all cleaned up now ;)

Also, discovered over winter one of the XJ leafs had disintegrated LOL. So I'm not going to use them as they're very rough!! I'm on on the hunt for a leaf. I think Andy will have one.

IMG_20160221_162551.jpg

IMG_20160221_162608.jpg

IMG_20160221_162919.jpg

IMG_20160221_163249.jpg

Got all my bearings and seals and spindle and hub installed yesterday afternoon outside during the warm weather and daylight.  Next is the locking hub mechanism and the caliper.  And fix the TRE problem.  Then she's mobile again!

Got the X in the air, removed the pitman arm and center link. Need a BFH to tap the centerlink out of the steering arm but I've LOST MY BFH !!! GRRRRR ..my garage isn't cavernous so IDK how I could have lost it, how frustrating LOL

The plan was to unbolt the differential from the drive shafts and drop the diff with the cross member like I did for the Lokka. Then work on removing the arms etc. But I've noticed both of my drive shafts have torn boots, so there's no point saving them, or the arms....or anything else really.

So, now the plan is to unbolt the torsion bars, rear diff bolts, drive shaft and brake lines, and make a cut on each side of the an upper and lower frame mounts...the whole lot should come out in one piece.

Obligatory photo....

IMG_20160222_125921.thumb.jpg.d19eb58f76

Archived