• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome that you picked them up @jay! If I remember correctly I had to grind a tiny bit of material off the caliper where they bolt on to get them to fit nicely. Not sure how different the calipers are though between d44 and d30. And Canadian tire can be pretty cap for finding fitting and similar little odds and ends sometimes. Depending on which one you went to and who you got they'll sometimes go grab a couple from shop use and give you those

Yes, thanks for the parts numbers etc, that really helped :)

I had to go to the Clayton Park store to get the lines, and they were helpful with the fittings....just didn't have the right size in their box'o'fittings. I'm gonna try Part Source on Cobequid later if I get chance.

IDK if it fits yet as I didn't get chance last night to try last night.... I've installed the calipers upside down too LOL

Now, the only thing left for my build is tubing. I don't know if my track bar and steering link are the right length - probably wont be. So I plan to get some DOM to sleeve them to length if needed.

I also need to figure out if I need to make any adjustments to the hole diameter on my steering arm to match the Ford ball joint.

...and I can't touch it yet, because I'm having to get an insurance appraisal for the mods before I can insurance, and there's no way they can see the SAS.

41 minutes ago, jay said:

Now, the only thing left for my build is tubing. I don't know if my track bar and steering link are the right length - probably wont be. So I plan to get some DOM to sleeve them to length if needed.

...and I'm not 100% sure this is acceptable thing to do to a track bar given it's criticality to the front end? I'm thinking not, but if it's ok it'll save me $$

In my mind...cut the track bar, fit a tight fitting DOM sleeve, plug weld the length, weld the end

or am I way off?

26 minutes ago, jay said:

...and I'm not 100% sure this is acceptable thing to do to a track bar given it's criticality to the front end? I'm thinking not, but if it's ok it'll save me $$

In my mind...cut the track bar, fit a tight fitting DOM sleeve, plug weld the length, weld the end

or am I way off?

To sleeve stuff and get it straight and with uniform welds make yourself a set of pipe rollers out ofcasters borrowed from something else around the garage. Similar to this but x2

pipe_roller.gif

It allows you to roll the tubing while you're welding it so you can do it all in one shot

50 minutes ago, e36m3 said:

If it was my rig, I'd do it with the do it once do it right mindset. So I would just built a custom trackbar. I'm not a big fan of sleeved stuff. Weld aren't always perfect and also corrode. 

Agreed :)

Where to buy heims and bungs - and what size?

The bolt diameter on my axle is 3/4" - the track bar frame mount can be anything.

Something like this maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Economy-Panhard-Bar-Kit-3-4-x-3-4-16-Econ-Heim-Joint-Bungs-120-/371075183376

1 minute ago, jay said:

Agreed :)

Where to buy heims and bungs - and what size?

The bolt diameter on my axle is 3/4" - the track bar frame mount can be anything.

Something like this maybe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Economy-Panhard-Bar-Kit-3-4-x-3-4-16-Econ-Heim-Joint-Bungs-120-/371075183376

http://www.emfrodends.com/

Pricier but rebuildable and made in Canada by one of the best offroad fabbers out there

My parts arrived today..........  Pics tonight!  All will be revealed!  Break out the portable band saw!  Speaking of, does anyone have one?  It is suggested as the first tool of attack for the mod.......  But I do have a recip saw and grinder that are usually used for the second attack and final finish.

Tom came out tothe house today. We started the day off with a tea and deprogrammed the Overland and programmed his Jeep and went for a rip...

Then we got down to business on the purpose of his visit and dropped the bellypan on the TJ to replace the transmission mount and install the new exhaust that's been hiding away in the cabinet since last June... Got the skid plate out, and undid the transmission mount from the belly pan, then dropped the belly pan. Only managed to snap one skid plate bolt on the belly pan and 2 on the transmission mount, lol! 

Detuned Tom's Jeep for the run to Sackville for bolts and then he almost cried... The difference was THAT noticeable, even from the passenger seat... Got the nuts and bolts needed and got it all installed. Boy does my Jeep sound nice now :cool: ! Tom has video of the first fire up that I am sure he'll post up..

The "new" mount all installed :)

IMG_20160205_164334.thumb.jpg.a86639fdd2.

Archived