• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

I just read a story the other day about brackets that weren't built correctly. Bends, hole alignment, or something or other. (Billa Vista, Pirate 4x4).  The caliper would be fighting the rotor all the time.  I don't have the gear at home to double bend / offset something like that!  In his story his caliper / mounting ears finally blew apart.........

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lunch break strikes again LOL. this time I've been forced to fix my lack-of brakes in order to keep mobile juuuuuust a little bit longer.

break pads came from https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca - delivered to my door for $40 in 2 days...not bad, and came in a rather fetching red colour LOL

I also noticed some significant ball joint wobble on my tie rods/centerlink area - soon my hand will be forced LOL

IMG_20160125_122140.jpg

Made it back into the garage to button up some of the 'easy' stuff....radius arms, shock mounts etc......of course the easy stuff became a pain in the *** as I had to tap out all of the holes.

I also made sure every bolt would come back out with a liberal application of anti seize LOL

I just need to find (or make) some lower shock bushings as the XJ shocks that came with this 4 inch lift kit came with a different style mount than the Bronco. I'll also need to get the brake lines too.

Now just 8 bolts and she'll be attached to the Xterra LOL

IMG_20160125_190335.jpg

IMG_20160125_202542.jpg

Yep, looks great, and yep, tap out all of the holes!  I have a tap and die set that I use for those duties, however I think there is such a thing as a re-thread kit that is supposed to be better for chasing. Oh well.

Doe those shocks work?  The RH one seems a bit squished on the bottom perhaps?

8 bolts for the rear part of the arms.  But also attached with the track bar!  Without that...................

25 minutes ago, jay said:

Made it back into the garage to button up some of the 'easy' stuff

A garage where you live, heaven!

Deb and I are looking at houses... to rent for now.  With room for two cars side by side, a garage for the Scout, etc.  Her current driveway is one car wide and two long, on a slope.  And the Scout inside.  And I'm in an apartment building.  Small PITA to do lots of things.  Could be worse though!

Eugene - yes I forgot the track bar LOL. I had a tap & die kit that I bought from CT on sale a while back. It's come in useful !! & the shocks that came with the XJ kit...I really just bought the kit for the coil springs, and IDK how good the shocks are, they're a bit dented and crusty, but may work until I get something better.

@82Yota I learned to use anti seize because folks just cut off those radius arms as they're virtually impossible to remove (and find now).

@Jawritch yes, I pressed those little mounting bars out of the bushings, but the bushing has a hole that's too a large diameter for the radius arm bolt.

@jay I used to have buckets of that stuff literally thanks to a company that I used to build rigs for out west, they would charge it to a job and then just buy new for the next one and so on. Sometimes ya gotta love big oil

9 hours ago, jay said:

I pressed those little mounting bars out of the bushings, but the bushing has a hole that's too a large diameter for the radius arm bolt.

If I'm understanding you correctly Jay, the hole in the bushings is too large, you could sleeve it with a small piece of metal tubing perhaps, or get different bushings.  I may have some bushings kicking around..

Sleeve or new bushings would fix your problem. Use a caliper and measure the shock diameter and then go to the Prothane site to find bushings that work for your application.  I had to replace my Bilstein bushings in the rear shocks. Took a bit of online homework, but I found the right ones in about an hour. $20 bucks and you're ready to go ;)

Once I had the part #, I ordered mine through a local shop (R&D Performance). There are several shops in HRM that order direct from Prothane as well.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:04 PM, sar4x4 said:

Does ordering nice stuff count in this thread?  Even if it sits on my shelf for years?

Three brand names to tease you:  1) Currie Enterprises; 2) TMR Customs; and 3) Advance Adapters.....................

I paid a deposit!

Item # 3 is: GM 10.5in. 14 Bolt 1350 Pinion Yoke Kit

Now, why would I want that?  I'd have to change my driveshaft for it to fit.  (Did something similar for the front, built an all 1350 driveshaft!)

Well I'm changing my rear driveshaft, but not just for the sake of changing my rear ds...........  it's only part of an overall plan.............

James will figure it out..

Just checked on delivery and 4WD F'ton has only received one of the three parts so far......  still waiting on TMR and Advance Adapters.  But, no hurry, it will all come together slowly.  Once I get the Pinion Yoke I can measure for the driveshaft, which is incidental to the................

:-)

@jay I had to buy a kit for Old man emu springs a few years back and it came with what you are looking for I do believe. Energy suspension systems was the one that I got and problem I had was having to ream out the bushings about an 1/8" to fit the sleeve. Other than that it came with all bushings for that truck ; shock,spring and I am pretty sure body mount bushings. 

This perhaps? http://www.amazon.ca/Energy-Suspension-9-8107G-Hourglass-Bushing/dp/B000CN9D3K

They say its 5/8 but Ill bet otherwise, like I said I had to ream mine out bit. Honestly you should buy the whole kit as its only like $25 (at least thats what I paid) and makes a hell of a difference. Not to mention takes away any slop in the rest of your suspension.

Archived