• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers today, and got them put on.  The rear tires won't rub the shocks now, but I might have to use my 12lb sledgehammer to massage the foot well area of the wheel well for the tires to clear when turned and stuffed.  I haven't been able to check the clearance yet though.

D2AA8659-909B-412C-8540-8BD1F5DCA786.jpg

B39255C1-4423-4EA3-81EE-6D4460DCDE92.jpg

D6E69D0A-3C9C-4CEA-8BA1-6127C71AA59C.jpg

240E8C1D-24F2-42F9-B372-A62D68AF0C6D.jpg

@sar4x4 Call went out late last night on the FB page for a stuck truck off Holland Road, 5 minutes from me. Truck was trying to go up an icy hill in 2WD and slipped sideways & backwards into a tree. Tree was dead center of his tailgate and 4WD wouldn't engage.

We ended up doing a 90 degree pull using a snatch block and a side tree to pull the rear of the truck back onto the trail.

I didn't realize until I got there that everyone except for the drive had been drinking, and the RCMP got called. I think they may have gotten busted for underage drinking.

Went over to my brothers today to put the winter-rated ATs pm my Burb.  Then I realized the locking lug nut key was back at my place.  Lost 55mins retrieving it.  Got to the RF wheel and the wheel is loose. Probably wheel bearings.  Now the truck may sit until the spring before I have access to my brothers garage.  Then I'll be putting my Krawlers back on.  Face plant in hands, shake head......

2 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Went over to my brothers today to put the winter-rated ATs pm my Burb.  Then I realized the locking lug nut key was back at my place.  Lost 55mins retrieving it.  Got to the RF wheel and the wheel is loose. Probably wheel bearings.  Now the truck may sit until the spring before I have access to my brothers garage.  Then I'll be putting my Krawlers back on.  Face plant in hands, shake head......

Always something, eh!  My left front hub is starting to get a bit loose.  I replaced the right for safety a few months ago, now it looks like I'll be doing the other one.

18 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Make sure to check toe torque on those spacers after a bit of a drive. Looking awesome!!

Thanks Matt!  Yep, I will check them later in the week.  I did use red Loctite on them though, so they "shouldn't" work loose.  Better safe than sorry though.

7 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

Holy fack! I know that feeling, that awful BANG and the shake haha.

Sucks man, what vehicle is that?

Oh no sweat, it's just my snow blower.

There was a pop and a smell, then nothing. I was amazed to see the carnage for such a lille drama LOL

Jay:  That snow blower looks to be 40 yrs old!  And you have a habit of breaking rear lights!  I have a bent rear gas can holder, I think I hit it during one of the Renfrew or Big Jones runs,...

Front wheel bearings, I only installed that axle exactly three years ago, but I've never looked at the bearings since.  They may be full of mud and ruined.   I don't think the spindle nut came loose, I have Stage 8 lock nuts. We'll see!

I have a habit of tightening bolts and topping up fluids for maintenance, but very seldom re-pack wheel bearings or get out a grease gun...........  my bad....

3 hours ago, derekmac said:

All the red needs is a little (or a little more than a little) heat and the nuts will back off.  Plus I like the Loctite shade of red more then their blue. :1011:

Make sure you have a torch in your tool box! Wouldn't want to be without it if you need to change an axle on the trail...

Archived