• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

I think the "L" he wants it like mine. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

FB_IMG_1450911949745.jpg.c05821ce807efff

This bumper was also the handy work of Jay.  

Thanks for the offer of angle iron :)

Yes, the L's like those ^^

And I can't take the credit for your bumper Matt...you did all the hard work :)

12 hours ago, jay said:

I have a 12 ton PA pipe bender. It does an OK job as long as you don't expect too much or a  tight bend - I have some flat spots.

you may already know, but an old trick to avoid flat spots on tight bends is to fill the piece your bending with sand

lookin good

yeah, I know of the sand trick, but I'm too lazy for all that, so I designed around it LOL :)

Final pass, and bumper completed.
I really wasn't happy about welding the bumper to the frame, so I tied in some 1 x 2 inch rectangle tube to the winch plate and welded the bumper supports to that instead of the frame.

IMG_20151224_103910.jpg

Bent some side supports/protection

IMG_20151224_125002.jpg

IMG_20151224_135347.jpg

Obligatory poser shot :)

Just needs some paint, and some garnish....an antenna, a set of fog lights, or maybe some orange marker lights....or all LOL

IMG_20151224_142705.jpg

17 hours ago, jay said:

Thanks Eugine. It feels good to get the grinder & welder out and pick black boogers out of my nose :)

Sometimes it would be nice to have the off the shelf option too....because I'm lazy LOL

There sure isn't much "off the shelf" things specific to Nissan though... And the stuff that is is too expensive to justify.

Think of it this way Jay... By the time your SAS is done, all in you will still be way ahead on cost than buying that "off the shelf" IFS lift kit, and you will have a better rig that the guys that buy the IFS lifts would be jealous of... :) 

Merry Christmas :)

So today, whilst my 2 were per-occupied with their new goodies and Tracey is cooking up a storm in the kitchen, I took advantage of the ridiculously warm sunny weather and just for fun I decided to blatantly copy Daves antenna mount :)

I may have to put a brace on it....we'll see

IMG_20151225_114815.jpg

IMG_20151225_114824.jpg

IMG_20151225_121958.jpg

IMG_20151225_122129.jpg

On 24/12/2015 at 0:49 PM, joeylowthers450R said:

you may already know, but an old trick to avoid flat spots on tight bends is to fill the piece your bending with sand

lookin good

not saying this to be an *** but only because a lot of people don't know :)

best way to avoid flat spots is to use tubing dies instead of pipe dies. But that wouldn't stop me from using one if that's all I had :)

unless you cap the ends the sand will just squish out

Archived