• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd better start a fluid, bolt, belt, etc check today when I had a couple of hours grace.

Coolant a bit low, topped that up.  Oil a quart low, normal per use, topped that up.  Batteries firmly in place. Transmission fluid good.

Leaky tire was not down on air.  Hmm, the stick that was between the rubber and rim before is not there anymore!  However there is a good scrape along the edge of the rim where the spotters during the hill climb at Big Jones said your rim is against the rock.............

Remembered to check the engine belts, one has been squealing a lot, and I could even smell it burning when I started on the pavement after airing up at Big Jones.

Tightened the alternator belt, it was just a bit loose.  PS belt looked okay.  Figured I should get a new alternator belt, this one is down into the pulley grooves.

Took a second look at the ps belt.  It was not sitting flat in the pulleys!  One side of the belt was noticeably deeper in the groove than the other side!  And the higher side of the belt had a ragged edge.  Time for two new belts!

When I got home I checked the dates.  I installed them in the summer of 2008.  Not that they have a lot of miles on them, but they are covered in Krown every other year and they're seven (7) years old.  No shame in having to replace them!

Also checked the leaky T-Case, definitely needs to be topped up before driving!

Installed the armored diff cover today, all ready to intentionally drive into rocks. 20151218_180722.thumb.jpg.8d71c700144608

Also on Tuesday I finally got my tube LCA's and lift coils in! The 3 inch spacer didn't sit all that well with me, but their cheap. The new (used) springs give me an extra 3/4 of an inch over stock w/spacer.20151218_180709.thumb.jpg.a5a1a851406b3420151218_180733.thumb.jpg.0b61daaaad60d4

Started on my front bumper. Plan was to weld it to the lower support on my winch plate, but of course it gave me problems.

First, my winch is slightly offset left and forward, so I couldn't get the left lower support pipe any where near to the the bottom winch plate support. So plan B was to use the existing bolts on the end of the frame horns and bolt it on there.....of course one side is slightly threaded, so I'll have to weld it in place.

I also ran out of pipe, but I'll be adding a mini top light bar / stinger next - like this one

tube_bumpers_001.jpg

IMG_20151221_093724.jpg

IMG_20151221_143346.jpg

5 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

@jay... Are you going to build down for a bit more protection for the winch too?

5 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

I've had my truck 17 years, and it's far from finished!  You're probably ahead of most actually!

Build a bit of a cage around the winch I think.  If you bump her lightly into a rock or something you want the cage to transfer the shock to the frame, and not mangle the winch perhaps?  Unless you're hitting something really hard and you want to sacrifice the winch instead of bending the frame.

22 minutes ago, 82Yota said:

@jay this is my suggestion:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvcGsUVyBnI

Nice tip :)

The beauty of running my Xterra is most dont give it a second look, or know what it is, or consider it a Pathfinder/mall crawler/soccer mom suv ....etc, which is GREAT! and as such, i feel it's not so much a target for scumbags/theives, so I never even considered my winch to be at risk. Although the wheel on the roof and mud coverage doesn't help with its stealthiness :)

Since I'm off work until the new year, I've had a bit more bumper progress.....

1st pass was just a trial to see how the 2 inch pipe was going to work out.
I'm reasonably happy with it, but it needs some lower 'guards' and a light bar / mini stinger.

IMG_20151221_093724.jpg

IMG_20151221_143346.jpg

2nd pass was to add a 1.5 inch pipe light bar / mini stinger.
Also, I'm not 100% happy with how the bumper mounts to the frame. Originally I bolted through the lower pipe supports into the end of the frame horns, where there's a threaded nut. Unfortunately the nut thread is damaged, so I've had to tack weld it in place.

I really don't want to weld the bumper to the frame, so the plan is to add some 1 x 2 inch rectangle tube to the winch plate box section, and weld the bumper to that.

I've also run out of weld wire....and I was at PA this morning too /grrr/

IMG_20151223_114726.jpg

IMG_20151223_143948.jpg

IMG_20151223_150246.jpg

IMG_20151223_150253.jpg

IMG_20151223_150304.jpg

yeah I have an idea for my bumper that's similar. I plan on welding on a ring to hold a beach umbrella and a tab to attach my hammock. Not to mention a beer bottle opener. 

By the way, the party is in front of my truck haha

Archived