• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to remember to bring my radio this time, I have to remember to bring my radio this time, I have to remember........

Suburban went for it's biannual-at-best 'Krown' rust control application today.  It has had LOTS of rusted sheet metal replaced over the years, not sure if Krown is effective on that old beast, but I try!  And Krown is best sprayed in the spring, and then it creeps into seams in the warm weather.  And you can see it creep up the outside of door panels!  I'll have it covered and diluted with mud and salt before it has a good chance to creep.  I do my car in the warm weather.  But I just got the mud cleaned off underneath of the Burb a couple of weeks ago.

If I remember to put it in the truck tonight that will be a good start!  It was installed before, the mount is there, the wiring is there, it'll be too late to fart with it tonight.  Just leaving work, truck is at Krown, etc.  It SHOULD plug right in..... 

Picked up a new clutch fan, pulley and belt today. Can't wait to have the X not sound like a greyhound bus. The fan will not disengage and spins with the engine RPM's. It's so bad now that the belt slips on the pulley (now gouged) and makes a very, very, high pitched squeal over 2k rpms. The sound is much worse than the metal tab wear indicator on brake pads! 

Oh, head shake.  Sorry, the Suburban is in Lake Echo.  I'd have to go out and get them and come back in to 'Halifax'...  Probably not doing Coffee tonight.  Did last week and doing Big Jones on the weekend.  Some other things on the go tonight.

New clutch fan, pulley & belt installed. Unfortunately I can hear more creaks & squeaks than before, but that's not related to the belts :P

Must say that I also learned something today...not all belts are created equal. The Gates belt that I had on the X had a smooth rubber back; the OEM I picked up ($5 more) is more cloth like. Had a chance to chat with the Master Tech @ Truro Nissan and learned that it is a common issue (high pitched squeal) using an aftermarket belt on a worn (flat side) pulley especially when the clutch fan is shot.

19 hours ago, e36m3 said:

In my opinion, gates makes better belts than oem though. A lot of carmakers used them and stamp their name on the belts.gates sells a 2000hp proof timing belt for supra engines lol

I stand behind gates as well, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the OEM was made by them. It was also mentioned that smooth rubber is more likely to slip & stretch (heat from slipping) when wet. When wet the belt would slip very bad until dry. The cloth backed one is not supposed to slip (or at least not as much). Time will tell how long it lasts.

I was able to source one of the afore mentioned rattles; One of my kids metal planes was rattling againts the seat track on the passenger's side...lol

• 2 weeks later...
I've been wheeling the Xterra for the last 2.5 years, and I never clean it inside or out.
So it was time to remove the old stinky carpet and think about lining the floor in summer.

The floor is in remarkable shape for the lack of love it gets. Apart from 1 place where the rocker protector has been rubbing up against the paint and caused a minor rust spot.

SANY0079.JPG

SANY0078.JPG

SANY0074.JPG

SANY0075.JPG

SANY0076.JPG

SANY0077.JPG

Archived