• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

For wheel studs, I use impact , several gr8 washers, oil and just spin then it on till they seat, but don't do that if you have already started. Have to start from  being lined up but loose. Installed it seems like thousands that way. Probably is in the thousands by now

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I painted the panels with Fabric and Vinyl paint, but just should have used regular paint because they are hard plastic, not flexible like fabric and vinyl.  It is scratching off easy. I painted the dashboard years ago and not a scratch yet. But good enough for now, good proof of concept changing the door panels.   I really like the change.  The front doors had rusted away and I switched them with some blue ones, hence not the factory green.  The floor has largely been painted, just the roof interior remains green and the seats beige.  It has had a white cargo door, orange stripes on the hood, blue front doors, rattle can black exterior, and half black half yellow exterior over the years.  Oh yeah, all exterior chrome has been changed to black as well.

I reorganized the hatch area, and put the spare tire cover back in to cover some of the stuff, and allow for carrying more things if needed.  I also took the sub out :( as it is bloody huge.  I might get or make a smaller box as I do enjoy a little extra bass over what the factory speakers can put out.

I also undercoated and sprayed as much as I could with LPS 3.  It's not proper undercoat, but I had it, and it's better than nothing. :) 

Need to paint the bottom inside of the doors!  New front seats coming as well.  Need taller, with head rests  , especially for Deborah's spine.

what are you looking for. I have very high reclining buckets tan in color in my 1992 suburban in good condition. Seat back is one piece, but these seats are unusually high back. My head is supported in these seats and I'm 6'1"

That's likely what I'm looking for Matt.  Pm me a pic and also ill probably take a drive out to look at them. The fact they come from a full size truck scores well with me rather than mini-van seats. I was going to go look at the big recycler in Truro/Bible hill but I'll look at yours first.

When trimming the Fenders I noticed a soft spot in the wheel well. Got to looking and found some more in the floor. Pulled out the carpet to find this.20151110_120540.thumb.jpg.962a13403eb92220151110_132642.thumb.jpg.608c8d995b09a8

No real suprise there. So I made up some patch panels and will weld them in tomorrow. On the bright side the rear pans are still mint!20151110_132654.thumb.jpg.6db7df8fa8fe77

Caught up on some repairs and maintenance....

Plugged a hole in my rear tire as it had a slow leak.

For a year or more I've been meaning to take my headliner out as the fabric is coming away from the foam backing. it's now rubbing on my head so the headliner is gone pending re-fabricerization

I thought I'd picked up some dirt in my drivers front brake from TJs as it was intermittently squeaking - brake pad was down to the metal. luckily I had a spare set, so the pads are now replaced.

Noticed the exhaust is leaking again at my bubblegum welds. That's for another day LOL.

Previously I had stated I had put the entire cooling system back together on the Scout.  Well I hadn't put the ovetflow / reservoir bottle back.  I mean, how hard or it time consuming could that be?  Well, it took quite a while to mount the bottle because one mounting screw is hard to feed.  Then I started to fill the tank.  And it started leaking.  A crack in it.  So I took it back out.  Then I put the washer fluid bottle back in with the attached pump.  Tested it, it didn't work. Gave up for the evening!

Over the last few runs I've been having some intermittent CB reception issues. I blame some dodgy installs on the other rigs, but having no way of testing my rig to see if the problem was me, I ordered an SWR meter and tested the radio.

IMG_20151118_141148.jpg

SWR should never be over 1.5 and came in great at just over 1.1. Transmit power came in at just over a disappointing 2 Watts, which is very short of the 4W I was expecting. I think the blame lies with the radio itself.

I also took time to install a remote speaker I had kicking around the garage for over 3 years. Audio is now much crisper now :)

IMG_20151118_140837.jpg

Archived