• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picked up a wicked loud random clunking noise on turns on the way to Bayers tonight. I think the POS auto locking hubs are not disengaging, and turning my axels. When I had a poke around the front end, I squeezed the suspected side's CV boot and it's letting air escape. Then I saw a tear in the boot. Water and debris has probably gotten in there and damaged the CV joint.

At least that's the theory.

I must not have done it right because I thought the same thing. Ran two beads on the inside and outside on the cover and the screw holes and cleaned the surfaces with a razor blade, wire brush and break cleaner. Looked good to me lol! 

nothing leaking on the Overland... I only put one bead all around on the cover and holes. Let it set for a minute while I cleaned off the bolts and put it back on. Drove it less than 15 minutes later...

Well Jay, either the hubs were still locked or your transfer case was in 4WD for your axle to be turning!  Yeah, worn CV joints make that noise.  But the axle shaft didn't break while wheelin' and leave you stranded!  That's a good thing!

Waiting for grout to dry, I took some time to tackle my D44 :)

With my limited tools and ability, I finally got the steering knuckles off, and the upper and lower ball joints are out with a BFH ! :)

The nuts holding the ball joints on were really hard to get off with just a propane torch ESPECIALLY since the axle is free floating. One of the nuts free'd up and sent my 250lb *** flying across the garage like superman on acid...I'm temporarily sprained and bleeding, but I got the nuts off LOL.

IMG_20150912_124032.jpg

I also found this link which has given me some new found inspiration :)

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana44overview.shtml

Nothing major, wheel it a lot. Maybe a cap and sleeping platform/storage  down the road. Plan is to wrench on it with my son, then pass it to him in a about  2 years when he starts  driving. If we can keep  it running god enough.

I'm OK..a bit briused LOL. I had my 3 ft breaker with extension tube, and 1 foot on the knuckle to stop the axle spinning on the floor. The nut was as hot as I could get it. I had my full weight pulling on the end of the bar......nothing, nothing, nothing, then CRACK....the nut turned an 1/8th of a turn, and my *** was ejected out of the garage and on the drive floor LOL

Ive got the trackbar nut to take off next. It's soaking in penetrating fluid now because it felt as tight as the others. 

Bunch of little things today, including:

1) Changed the cabin air filter in the Rogue.  Can't remember if the dealer changed it once before.  IT WAS GROSS.  Even had to vacuum some remaining leaves out of the filter spot!  Was very easy though.  Instructions came with the filter, I wouldn't have known where to look for it, never changed one before.

2) Found the spare door glass for the Suburban.  Vacuumed the glass out of the door.  Started installing the new window felts I had bought some time ago.

3) Found a missing door handle rod clip!  After I had found snap rings that would fit! Going to be able to get my door handles working again!

4) Popped most of the M.U.D. dent in the door right back out.  Going to be a small dent and scar on the bottom.  Maybe I'll sign the dents with black marker......

I really want the Sub running again for a day run!  And get some of the parts off the shelf and on the truck.  Sliders, longer travel Bilsteins for the front (have to change the mounts), and eventually cross-over and high-steer.....

Scary how fast a situation  can get "real". pulling on a break spring when I was young, didn't realize  what direction  I was pulling  till the needle  nose please slipped and hit my face (missed my eye by millimeters) first reaction  was to check and see if  anyone  saw lol. Life lessons, I guess. Glad you didn't get hurt bad.

Zip cut on a grinder is probably the most dangerous tool I can think of, improper positioning, pinching or jamming the disc, these are some seriously dangerous hazards.... I have been struck by exploding discs from standing nearby others using zippys it sucks make sure u cover ur face.

Look at this jack ***

disccut.jpg
uploading images

That being said for bolts that are a ***** and the part isnt anchored, an impact gun with a nice set of sockets, extensions and a universal joint work best for me.

Dont forget to wear eye protection when possible in the garage boys!

I should mention that this was a long time ago and I had my shirt untucked the disc jumped and caught my shirt. Pulling it closer to me.  The shirt actually wrapped up enough to stop the blade from spinning. I ended up with just a small cut on my leg.  It could of been way worse. 

Picked up an alternator and 2 tail lights.
The tail lights are tinted - probably by the previous owner, but that's ok.

Started to strip out the old alternator, and of course the little tinker is being a royal PITA - the 12v output connector bolt is spinning in the alternator body, so I can't unbolt it.
I don't want to just cut the connector off because I don't have a replacement, so I'll need to get a blade for my angle grinder so I can grind the nut off.

IMG_20150913_121603.jpg

Archived