• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Did an oil change in the fj last night.ordered some front swaybar bolts, a new air filter yesterday as well. Cleaned the truck pretty good today and will be installing a hitch today as well.

Then I only need to receive the amsoil severe gear oil I ordered to change the tranny, t-case and both diffs oil plus replace a leaky diff seal in the front.

She'll be good to go for the mud run :)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday got a chance for a couple of hours on Scout. Got the new Steering Brace installed. No pic yet.

http://www.backcountrybinders.com/steering/straight-steer-brace.html

Today got another couple of hours. Got the steering box frame reinforcement plate installed. No pic yet.

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/CPT-STRBOXPLT.html

And got the steering couplers removed, next step is installation of the Borgeson steering joints. There was significant play in the

steering U-Joint, similar to Tacomitch(?)'s earlier post, and I literally ripped the rag joint apart with my bare hands. The rubber ring was broke in two places!

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/BORG-STRJNT-KIT-2.html

I re-installed the OEM Nissan auto-locking hubs.
Why?
I wanted to know what happened to the 1st hub.
I didn't feel confident the remaining Warn hub was secure.
Whilst (gently!) removing the remaining Warn hub I sheared off another 12.9 allen bolt off in exactly the same depth as the other 6 bolts on the other hub.
Once the other bolts were out I discovered a clue as to why one hub went missing.....
....a build up of dirty causing corrosion?!
IMG_20150814_095704.jpg
IMG_20150814_100103.jpg

I finished the steering upgrades on Scout yesterday. But the water pump is now leaking too bad to drive it much until replaced. Went to drive it home, and it flooded and wouldn't start. Locked it and left it at my brother's until after M.U.D!

The Scout started just fine today, first turn of the key and no choke! The engine bonnet was open and sun beating in and it was 30 degrees in the engine compartment.

We then took the full soft top off and put the bikini top on and went to the beach!

The fj has been through 2 years of abuse and hard runs. It was well deserved. Just got back from camping near lake Charlotte, pulling my camper on logging roads and quad trails and ran great. Going back tomorrow to my piece of land for 5 days and then will change the transmission oil, reinstall skid plates and a couple other things

I bought all new shocks for my TJ. Swapped those out, ripped off the stupid pedal covers on my gas/brake/clutch pedals as well. Figured I can't be our rolling around on snow tires so I bought some 32" BF Goodrich TA K02 tires.

After all that I got the dealership to check for an ecm update because mine keeps flashing up that my ac clutch is messed and an o2 sensor has a high voltage (this is a known tech service bulletin...and my jeep has no ac). Their scan tool needed a new cord but they checked the mileage on it for me since the odometer is broken. I was pretty happy to find my pretty rust free 2005 tj has just over 100k km on it. I thought it was a lot more than that.

W00t

Archived