• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the tips :)

Rockauto for rotors, calipers, pads & balljoints (without ujoints) down to

CAD$133.66 Total CAD$249.42

adding ujoints is a different carrier and adds $46 shipping, so I think I need to find a local supplier.

Partsouce for the same list as above (no ujoints) is a whopping $397!

Partsource also quoted $32.99 for a Moog ujoint - IDK if they're comparable to Spicers ?

MOOG are good, I believe. Have been for me!

Next you'll likely be getting wheel bearings for inside those hubs/spindles! Get a part number for the wheel bearings, and SHOP AROUND as I mentioned before. You'll get wildly different prices for the wheel bearings. I use Motion Canada on Akerley.

Shipping costs? How about Duty and brokerage (not from RockAuto maybe but for my Scout and also Suburban parts from specialty suppliers.) I've paid many many many hundred $ over the years..........

And once your axle has all new relevant parts, and the rest scoured and painted, you won't believe the difference! Been there, done that! I went from a 1/2 ton front axle, to a 3/4 ton, to a 1-Ton. And the 3/4 ton came out of a puddle, like yours looks like!

And a picture hides the flaws!

Without a picture in front of me. Inner and outer wheel bearing, inner seal, can't picture an outer seal in my head at the moment, and lastly spindle bearings, small needle bearing set about 1.4" diameter, are largely optional. Some folks believe in them, some don't. Often a dust seal on the spindle bearing as well.

Check your pinion seal as well.......... is it wet? I like spending your money!

On, and axle shaft seals located next to the centre section. I need to change mine on the Dana 60, but other than that I've never had to change them on any of my many rigs over the years. Joecanadian changed his last year, noted in the post here somewhere. Real easy to do when you have your axleshafts out.

What type of susp are you putting in front.....

I have a plan now for the SAS, and the route is largely driven by this '79 Bronco axle, which has cast radius arm mounts. On the short side there is only about 1 inch of tube showing - so no opportunity (for me) to weld on.

fordaxle_halfton.jpg

The plan is to go with stock Bronco radius arms and TJ springs. The stock arms include spring and shock mounts, so it should be a reasonably bolt-on.

The stock arms are not super long, but can be extended if required. There are options for tube long arms for $$$s

So, where to source radius arms ?

Dana4415.jpg

You can weld to cast iron too. Just make sure it is warmed up and clean. My Buddie has the exact same axle in the cj jeep with leaf springs.

Nothing wrong with going with the stock setup, if you want , when you build the brackets, have a look at my f150 drop brackets for the radius arms. Yes it is a ttb but it mirrors the setup of the solid axle in regards to the radius arms

took a look at the manual locking hubs on this D44 and noticed one side is OK, but the other side wont engage - it just clicks. I'm guessing something is broken.

I need to find a spindle nut tool to get the spindle off - any suggestions where would sell one?

And I also saw Amazon sells a 5.13 gear set for my D44 ...and guess who just got vouchers LOL

http://www.amazon.ca/USA-Standard-Gear-D44R-513R-Differential/dp/B0078U9JKM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435977603&sr=1-1&keywords=ZG+D44R-513R

Iv got spindle tool if you need to borrow it. I also have several sets of locking hubs and outter stub shafts that will fit. I also have a few full width drum brake 8.8 truck rear ends, and I think one has either a posi or its is a ford traclok. Not sure. I have 3 complete f150 parts trucks, several ford parts piles, a complete super duty with leaf sprung front d60 with front spindle conversion with warn premium hubs and sterling 10-1/4 rear, and lots more.

Wow! Sounds like you're my new best friend LOL ;)

If I could borrow your spindle tool, that would help me out a lot and give me chance to ***** the hubs.

Just ouf of curiosity, if you could let go of one of those rear ends, how much would you need for it?

The Nissan H233B is a very strong unit, but I'll need to get 6 to 5 bolt conversion spacers for it, and 5.13 gears are pricey.

It may be cheaper and better all-round to swap it out.....then I can change my name to Foxterra with all that Ford running gear LOL.

Yep, how does $100 sound for the rear end. Also what gear ratio do you have in the front diff. I have enough rears here I could possibly see if I have something to match it. When do you want the tool and where could I meet you to give it to you

SOLD! Thanks :) :) :)

The D44 is 3.50 but the X has 4.63's stock. So I'm planning on 5.13's as my tille 3.3 v6 probably will struggle if I go with bigger tires .....eventually.

The tool...I'll let you know as I'm gonna be in Orlando for work next week....hmm maybe Harbour Freight or some other cheep US store will have one.

Jay:

Maybe check the gear ratios that Powerram has and match the front, if low enough. Save buying front and rear gears. But not likely that lucky.

I have several different spindle nut sockets, but I'm heading out of town tomorrow afternoon for about two weeks. PA or someone else often have them on sale.

We have Dana 44/GM 10 bolt, Dana 60, GM 14-bolt, at the least!

OK, just let me know. They are pretty cheap, iv bought 3 now, one for d60, one for dodge/Chevy and one for ford. Dont think I played any more than 15 bucks for one.

OK on the axle. I'll grab just random one then if you are planning gear change.

Nothing to my rig, but started gutting the engine of the parts Jeep. Tonight I pulled:

• A/C compressor
  • Coil packs
  • Fuel injectors
  • Timing cover
  • Plugs
  • Harmonic balancer (though the pulley cracked. :( )
  • Oil and transmission dipstick tubes
  • Intake manifold
  • Right side valve cover (what a god awful pain the bottom back bolt was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • Power steering pump

Archived