• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Pinion bearings are all fixed up in the front diff. One of my front axle shafts was grooved so i now have a full kit of rear and front axle shafts for trail spares. Got a hold of some used ones. New inner seals also. My diff fluid was like gravy...

Wheel spacer on the rear axle was loose. It was from me last week replacing a stud. 2 of 5 bolts were hand tight when discovered... The clicking was from that. I though I did something awful on my diff so I got a tow lol.

Learned my lesson that I need to use a torque wrench and not rely on the air gun!

Yes use a torque wrench AND locktite, and check the spacers periodically.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fab'd up a winch plate and brackets for my 4runner today. Going to be all welded up tomorrow, holes drilled and ready to be mounted to the front end and welded / painted sunday..fingers crossed.

the tabs will stick through my stock grill and my rollers will mount to that.. tight fit but it should be strong and look clean!

post-1090-0-94880600-1433467852_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Getting prepped for safety. Replaced the rear rotors & pads, adjusted the e-brake and rotated the tires over the weekend. New windshield is set for Thursday.

Now to source that repulsive clunk in the front end. Unfortunately, that involves tearing down the front end suspension. Heim joints are funny things; in most cases you have to remove the parts to test by hand as when under load, they won't replicate the movement.

Good news and GOOD news ;):

Good news, the clunk is a frickin sway bar end link. Seeing as though I replace them at least once a year; goodbye front sway bar this weekend.

The GOOD news is I pooched my OEM scissor jack tonight. Fortunately I have a Hi-Lift so in order to use it, sliders are on order in the very, very near future.

Hello Black Widow gear ;) http://shop.blackwidowgear.com/Second-Gen-Nissan-Xterra-Rock-Sliders-Pre-Built-2ndXSliders.htm

I've had a prototype fabbed from wood in my basement for more than 2 years. I've come to the realization that unless I order a bolt on set = It ain't going to happen

Duratracs? I sliced two that I had before.

Yep, Duratracs. I also shredded a full tread off at Jam and noticed that chunks of the tread are lost every time I go wheeling. I will not be getting another set unless they are the MTR and even then I would have to get a hell of a deal.

did nothing .....aint fixin nothing ,...dont plan on it either .......ohhhhhh the life of a zook!!!!......why u may ask...well this winter comming she is getting either a new body (southern) or a complete weld up job,....again it was done over 6-7 yrs ago so no shame for it ...and i only trail drive it beat it then take it home and park it

:canada_wave:

Well, change of plans. After thinking more on the jack issue, I purchased a used one from a local salvage yard for $50. Hi-Lifts are just too frickin dangerous to use on a regular basis. Hasn't changed my plans to get sliders though ;)

Got the water pump changed, and coolant flushed last night. Pretty easy job, but had to pull the alternator, and tensioner pulley to be able to get it out. Oh, also swapped the tensioner pulley with the one that was on the parts Jeep as mine was getting a bit gritty.

Archived