• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay, you should be proud! Take away the winch, (and eventually snorkel), and the Lokka, and any lift and approach angle mods, and you would have had Very Much Harder time in there. You have built up a nice truck at a relatively low cost, great driving skills, and not 'skeered' to wrench on it. I hope the club helped in this transformation!

thanks, I'm proud to be a member of this awesome club! :)

I've done a lot of small car maintenance before - but yes, the club has helped in both confidence and peer-pressure to get some of those bigger jobs done that I never would have considered tackling before LOL.

Also having to do everything on a budget when import parts come at a premium, means having to DIY and improvise......a lot LOL

Most Chev & Toyo rims will be off-set pushing your tires a bit beyond the fenders. Only reason I know it that a Toyota guy bought my Pathfinder rims & tires and he had to run spacers as the offset had the tires too close to the frame (tires would touch before lock).

Keep an eye out for Pathfinder & Frontier & (Infinity) QX4 rims as well (you probably knew that already) as the 16" rim was more common on these models. IIRC, only the SC version of the 00-04 X came with 16's.

Also, most Nissan Trucks are lug centric, not hub centric; just make sure you have the right style lug nuts for the rims as they will vary from wheel to wheel.

So I met up with the legend that is Rob's dad this morning and he kindly showed me around his various work in progress Toyotas...what a collection it is too!!
We ended up doing a straight trade for the 15x8 Eagle rims that were sat in my garage collecting dust, for these sweet and apparently hard to find 16x7 2001 Toyota 4runner Limited Rims.
Fitment is almost perfect apart from the wheel center bore is larger @ 106 mm compared to 100mm on the Xterra. The nut faces on the rims are not beveled in these rims either, so I'm going to try and find some adapter rings to help take up the difference so I can center them up.
And with a little cleaning and matt black Tremclad, they've come up really nice :)
IMG_20150516_141408.jpg
IMG_20150516_145804.jpg
IMG_20150516_145810.jpg

I just noticed these on rockauto - I've not seen this style before. Maybe they'll be a better option for centering the rim (m12 x 1.25)

kit611-103-001__ra_p.jpg

Common lug nut for Toyota. Get these ones, the washer stays on the lug. There are a lot of variation in sizing out there.

post-429-0-35149500-1431879314.jpg

If anyone running a nissan is interested in two of the SC Nissan Xterra wheels I have them. They are 17"x8" they came off of an 2003 or 2004 they are Grey in Colour decent shape but not like new. I use to have a 2001 Xterra years ago. Saw you guys talking about wheels.

I got a buddy to start building me a set of rock sliders for my fj60 yesterday. Hope to finish them maybe by next weekend. I will get a pic. He just bought a tig welder and was looking for a project.

Archived