• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Put the Scout back together yesterday and today. And cleaned the spare parts and junk out that she came with. Including receipts from 2003, and 2009.

Although there is lots more small TLC to do, she runs just fine!

And the soft top looks great! Drove out to the big garage in Lake Echo and dropped off a bunch of parts.

post-247-0-17197000-1430707613_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-54047800-1430707617_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-19941500-1430707622_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-87886800-1430707655_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-97530400-1430707659_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-94853500-1430707696_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-69796800-1430707697_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. When she was in that little garage all winter (the bright sunny pics) I couldn't open the doors enough to get a pic of those placards! I have a big 'build sheet' for her, so I took the pics, and since I was posting I popped them up as well.

So, Thursday I'm doing coffee night or Woodside A&W cruise!

Turns out my passenger side caliper had one seized piston, and one free one. Oh well, the caliper from the parts rig looked like it was pretty damn near new, and it's working like a charm! :D

That it does!!! The pads, rotors and calipers all look to be fairly new on it. :smiley-dance005: My donor baby has more than paid for itself!! :D

When is the axle swap happening? Or have you not verified if the variloks are working yet?

When is the axle swap happening? Or have you not verified if the variloks are working yet?

Soon I hope. I know the front works, or at least spinning it by hand, it builds up a ton of resistance. The rear I'm not sure of yet.

Changed the oil in the Scout. Normally not something I might post, but I have no idea how many years since it's been changed! The last inspection was 2008 iirc!

That's the first of many fluid and filter changes to happen.

Also tried to mount the front license plate. Sounds simple right? Two screws into the plastic inserts? But there is very little room between the bumper and the front cross-member, so the stainless steel screws I had were too long. I hate rusty license plate screws and rust stains down the plate, especially on something someone thinks is expensive like a Lexus. Hard to fathom.

Hard to believe what should be a simple job isn't going to be!

Gotta love this warm weather for a spot of lunchtime wrenching :)

I finished welding up the crack in my Y-pipe, and I even welded the rear pipe back onto the rear muffler. I'm not going to post photos of my welds, because quite frankly they're ugly as hell.

Now I have a tailpipe for the 1st time since the MUD Run last summer.

I chopped off the exposed part the pipe shown in the photo so I don't 'sit' on it....again LOL ;)

Also notice the rear bumper corner - it got pushed in on the last run whilst trying to save my *** from going sideways into a ravine. It should pop back out without any problems......when I can be bothered to do it :)

IMG_20150505_134839.jpg

Jay you mentioned your rig wants to go straight, under power in 4x4, with your new front locker. And sometimes you want low range so you have no choice but power that front driveshaft and locker. Don't forget, you can just unlock one or both front hubs! You will have low and slow for control, but able to steer. I've always done that. 2wd low. Just remember, you have much more torque on that rear driveshaft/axle, it's not being shared with the front driveshaft/axe. and don't try to pull 10 tons with it!

the situation I got into at the weekend, was slick rutted ground to an almost 100 degree turn, down into 2 foot of even slicker watery off-camber ground. It just wanted to go straight. I contemplated moving into 2WD just for the turn, but a quick 2 point turn got me where I needed to be.

but I didn't think of unlocking one hub, that's a great tip Eugine, thanks :)

Also notice the rear bumper corner - it got pushed in on the last run whilst trying to save my *** from going sideways into a ravine. It should pop back out without any problems......when I can be bothered to do it :)

IMG_20150505_134839.jpg

A heat gun and a bit of patience will pop that right out. Already don this a couple times on the rear plastic corners, and a couple times when I had the OEM front bumper

A heat gun and a bit of patience will pop that right out. Already don this a couple times on the rear plastic corners, and a couple times when I had the OEM front bumper

Or sit it so that it is in the sun on a warm day for a while and pop it out B)

Stopped over to Jays and the two of us got the dual battery tray installed. Next is to wire up the second battery and isolator. Then run the wiring through the firewall and get the dash switches geared up. Probably get to that sometime this week with any luck.

Yesterday I removed my sway bar, I've got a bushing gone and.. well I'll probably just keep beating them out so why spend the money right?!?

I was expecting the truck to have MASSIVE amounts of body roll without it, the bar is 30mm I believe? It's fairly hefty. Around corners there's little to no difference in handling.

I was expecting the front end to be all loosey goosey and be able to flex it out pretty good, but that's not the case!

17590336605_969f37811c_z.jpgreceived_10155546439880511 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

16956594983_f4ff8a8f38_z.jpgreceived_10155546495850511 by Mitch Parsons, on Flickr

My coils are pretty stiff. But I was also expecting more! The rear flexes out much more than the front, I imagine I'll three wheel less because the front suspension will work more now!

I'm going to find somewhere to bottom out the rear and see if I can get anything out of the front!

It might be time to get some adjustable coilovers for the front.

Archived