• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Yeah if you dont have projectors, HIDs are brutal. 5000k is just as bright as 10 000k, its just the color that changes. I had projectors on my m3, with 8000k and then 5000k cause the first ones were too "blue" for my likings, I aimed them down more and the car was lowered 3 inches and even truckers were flocking their highs and backup lights at me haha

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HIDs are illegal on cars that didn't have them as OEM equipment, at least that's the law back home and they're not nearly as strict as here. Another thing too is the colored HID lights, you also get tickets for those if a cop feels like being a prick. Doesn't matter though cause you're probably a ****** if you have colored headlights lol

New set of HiD 6k headlights. The old bulbs were toast, still came on but cast almost no light at all. The HiDs on the other hand, holy **** they're bright. Every second car is flashing the high beams at me thinking mine are on. What a shock when I flick mine back at them.

One nice fellow elected to turn his on and leave them on after I flashed mine to show they're low beams. He got the 50in light bar for his trouble.

So you blind people 100% of the time, then when they return the favour you use the LED bar? Thats a dick move.

Unless you changed out the housing too and not just the bulbs them your high beams might as well be on. HIDs were not meant for conventional housings and there's almost no cut off with them.

I can't say much though i still havnt re aimed my lights after my lift. Lol

They have a mechanically actuated housing that moves the bulbs into, or out of the housing for low/hi. There is a totally distinct difference between the low and hi. They're just, well, really frigin bright.

And yes, snowman, I am a ****. I accept and embrace it. Thank you for noticing.

Took some damage to the Xterra's stupid and fairly recent Y-pipe whilst on the Pirate Jeep run yesterday.
I think it must have got hung up on a tree stump in a mud hole at one point in the proceedings.
It was bought at partsource, so I'm wondering if it'll warranty assuming I can find the receipt. If not, I'll have a go welding it...although the material is pretty thin and rusted.
IMG_20150503_154555.jpg

I can't see a dent or bend in the picture, but it looks pretty thin to begin with. Does your radio go high enough to drown out that leak while on the highway?

I saw some of the pics from the run; really, really disappointed that I wasn't aware sooner or able to concentrate my begging techniques enough to get the last minute permission slip. Feed back on the Lokka is required btw ;)

It's just cracked all along the weld.

I'm gonna sum up the Lokka based on past and yesterday's run;

More crawl, less gas!

I was deliberately crawling where others in front had to give it..I had much more control and was getting lots of complements from some very surprised folks :) even Jeff was enjoying it.

At one point I turned around in deep soft snow to help someone. I know I would have been in trouble before the Lokka.

Some of the snow was like when we pre-ran Muddy Mira...I had no problems this time, where I was on the strap before.

On the down side; it has a tendency to go straight in very tight slippery 80+ degree turns....understandably.

It gave me a lot more confidence and line options...I'm super happy with it :)

The "push" that you are referring to is a small price to pay when considering a selectable locker vs. a ratcheting type; especially when you compare the cost of each!

Looks like a stress crack across the main (short) piper as well. In my experience, those do not take well to welding. If (when) your muffler goes, spend a few extra $$ and get a 2 into one and have the 2 main pipes bent to fit.

The push only really got me once. I re-adjusted and i was good.

There was a water crossing; mud/snow ruts on the approach, then down and up over snow, that turned right immediatley at the top. Everyone before me had trouble with it, by having to go fast enough to get up the other side. Jeff was videoing the exit...I crawled through it like it wasn't there :)

You'll be pleased to know the gen2 behind me wasn't having too much trouble either ;)

Managed to do this.... when I wasn't driving....

Thanks Matt! I'm just upset I didn't do the first damage to it.

Also ordered skids for oil pan and evap, and ordered a bumper.she's getting there.

Coming home last night I noticed that my steering wheel is now to the right, where before it was to the left, lol. I checked for damage, and didn't see anything. I was going to adjust it to get the steering wheel straight again, but haven't yet.

I also greased my ball joints today.

My clear was all peeling on the hood so I redid it today. I had previously peeled the entire clearcoat off over a few days picking with a plastic putty scraper.
Repainted using about 4 small cans of colour (Dupli-color Perfect Match) and 2 big cans of clear. Probably didn’t need that much colour but I had it so meh
Scuffed

Painted

Cleared

Done and drying

Looks pretty decent now, but I will have to see it in the sun and next to the fenders.

So after going for a drive, and hearing scrapping noises when I braked, I figured there must have been crap in the brakes from the run yesterday. Tore the front right side apart, and it turns out the friction material came off one of the pads, and it was metal on metal. I'm going to pull the pads off the parts Jeep tomorrow.

Archived