• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

****, Ordered the wrong switch pillar. for 11-15 not 07-10. Anyone want to buy this from me today PM if not I am returning it to amazon tomorrow.

I double checked and must of clicked on the wrong model in the end. SOB!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

****, Ordered the wrong switch pillar. for 11-15 not 07-10. Anyone want to buy this from me today PM if not I am returning it to amazon tomorrow.

I double checked and must of clicked on the wrong model in the end. SOB!

Sent you a PM. This might be the first mod on my brother's JK to get the ball rolling ;)

Plugs/wires/coil/cap and rotor on the jeep today have a issue with one of them or some sensor it's eating the fuel up hard and puking lots of black soot!! And soon 2 ball joints, having a jeep again is fun

Started on removing my front diff driveshaft bolts; cleaned up thread ends, liquid wrenched and torched. 2 hours later no progress. My propane torch didnt seem to be getting the nut hot enough and I think they have red locktite on them...and rust....gonna retry tomorrow :S

Started on removing my front diff driveshaft bolts; cleaned up thread ends, liquid wrenched and torched. 2 hours later no progress. My propane torch didnt seem to be getting the nut hot enough and I think they have red locktite on them...and rust....gonna retry tomorrow :S

I have Map gas in my truck, same idea as the propane but it seems to be a little hotter if you'd like to try it! I also have a "TurboTip" in there somewhere, it's also supposed to be hotter.

I'll take you up on that, thanks.

Worst case scenario is I have the space and option to grind the bolts off as they're not threaded into the drive shaft flange.

I'm gonna have a go at the 12 axel bolts today. Those have blue loctite. I've had one side off previously so I know they're gonna be tough, but should be OK with my propane torch.

Having slept on it seemed to make the world of difference :)

The 17mm bolts were my main worry, but they came out pretty easily once I got the loctite bubbling :)

Drained the oil only to find water in it....then discovered the previous garage hadn't re-attached the stock breather extension tube.

SANY0053.JPG

Diff was a PITA to get out, I had to rotate it 90 degrees to get it in between the steering link and oil pan.

She's out :)

SANY0054.JPG

I sheered one of the axle bolts, so I had to weld a nut on it to get it out.

SANY0058.JPG

SANY0064.JPG

Here's my pesky dented 'new' oil pan :S

SANY0061.JPG

Now I know why they didn't re-attach my diff breather pipe...the pipe's corroded through....no point in a breather extension now is there?

SANY0069.JPG

SANY0070.JPG

SANY0071.JPG

Diff cover is off, and I've marked up the end caps for re-installation.

SANY0072.JPG

SANY0073.JPG

SANY0074.JPG

Tracey wants to go out, so I'm having a break. Need to get diff oil and a breather pipe - any ideas where I can a pipe ?

I only have the cover off. no shavings whatsoever on the drain plug, and there's no excessive play that I can feel....hardly surprising since it only does very minimal KMs, and the only time 4WD is engaged is in the woods :)

True! The rear diff is always more worn than the front one.

you can see how grey the oil was on the diff cover....at least it wasn't GREEN like my rear axle oil was LOL

That sounds terrible, mine was a really dark black colour when I changed it, I had no idea when it was changed before I did it.

The welded nut for the lower track bar mount broke when I switched my track bar, and the nut I used keeps coming loose, so I put some red Loctite on it. If that doesn't hold (which it should), I'll throw a lock washer on it.

Decided since the breather pipe was rotted out, I may as well upgrade and do a diff breather re-location ;)

SANY0076.JPG

Axle shafts, shims and races removed

SANY0078.JPG

Gears are out

SANY0077.JPG

Ring gear removed

SANY0081.JPG

Nasty oil

SANY0080.JPG

Spider gears removed - we don't need those pesky grip loosers anymore :) :) :)

SANY0082.JPG

Lokka in

SANY0085.JPG

Springs installed

SANY0086.JPG

Now I'm stuck - I'm struggling to get the pin that holds the center shaft back in... I bent my 3/16 center punch trying.

Time for a rest, and a trip to get another center punch.

Archived