• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

My inverter turned out to be bad, so I had to run to crappy tire and get a 500W.
It's all bolted and wired in now. I ran the wire from the battery as you can only realistically get 100W out of a cigar socket, especially one in the rear of the vehicle - which the X has.
Now the inverter is installed I can run a small cooler/fridge in summer :)

SANY0046.JPG

SANY0047.JPG

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to get the TLC finished and some hard-starting issues trouble-shooted on the Scout. I could build my own thread! Had hoped to be driving it by now, but I also say she'll be ready - by the time the snow is gone!

The chrome lug nuts were a bit rusted living out in Ketch Harbour, in the sea-salt laden air. Replaced them and added lock nuts as well. Replaced the ballast resistor with a Mallory one to match the PO upgraded distributor and have a matching coil coming as well. They were just barely out of spec, but then ALL of the starting and ignition circuitry was just barely out-of-spec, and combined to be really out of spec! Here are a couple of pics of the latest maintenance, cleaning 36 years of factory potting residue (?) or something off of the bulkhead connectors. Now that is a contortionist's job under the dash, especially in a garage I can't open the driver's door the whole way. Much other TLC underway as well.

post-247-0-32466400-1429623072_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-98389400-1429623064_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-34501800-1429623060_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-64808100-1429623068_thumb.jpg

Connectors all covered in some dried resin-like material. All electrical devices seemed to work, except the wire to the starter relay / solenoid, which was intermittent and then quit all together. Continuity of that wire up to and beyond this BHC was just fine, and they are a known issue.

Now the blue wire - the factory battery wire to the starter was 4 guage. Given the length of run it was it was bordering on requiring 2 guage. I couldn't find pre-terminated 2 guage cables so I went with 1 guage. I always build lots of ground bonding and heavy transmission cables into my builds. The only ground was engine to battery! No body to battery! And a dirty engine to body ground.

post-247-0-75339800-1429623109_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-06269900-1429623113_thumb.jpg

Hole somewhere in the pic through the firewall.

post-247-0-51850100-1429623116_thumb.jpg

Under the dash. Unscrew the fuse block from the firewall to access the bulk head connector. Then unscrew the two halves.

post-247-0-81944000-1429623119_thumb.jpg

Much cleaner connectors on the engine bay side after I finished. Squeeze and back each one out, clean and re-install. Haven't finished under the dash.

post-247-0-95915300-1429623122_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-13733300-1429623126_thumb.jpg

My '84 Suburban has blade fuses and colour coded wires, and except for a few ends at lights, etc. the wiring is solid.

My '79 Scout has glass fuses, no colour coded wires, instead they have a code stamped at the extreme ends only, there are various fusible links, and the wiring is very compromised with time and weather.

If I had to do much more maintenance to similar or older vehicles or vehicles that burned or somehow otherwise compromised, or build a custom buggy, I'd be considering a pre-made kit such as Painless Performance Wiring!

I do Automotive wiring Gene if you ever need anything sorted out

I'll keep that in mind!

I do great wire runs, but I hate terminations, I often pigtail stuff together and it has held so far............ However I couldn't pigtail 1 guage! lol

Didnt do anything to the rig, but picked up an 80amp MIG/Flux welder, its Mastercraft brand and came with helmet, gloves, wire and wire brush. Was $249 for the entire package. Something to get me back into welding and do small things as needed.

Friend of mine has that welder. Other than sheet metal, it's really not great. I buila sled for the kids with steel square tube and it was the most horrible welds I have ever done. Maybe you'll have better luck with it, who knows

Some new goodies to post I got today while I am on the phone for a boring meeting lol

All new stuff is rugged ridge.

New dual battery isolator

41S3O0JxMmL.jpg

snatch block to replace my missing one

41IlKafiaIL.jpg

toggle switches for air,battery selection and 2 extras for potential mall crawling LED lights :P

170876-md.jpg

also got a winch bag and new (non rusted) fairlead :)

Archived