• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New to me CB. Bought from Jay. My cobra decided to mess up and it was a cheap kijiji buy in the first place. Wired it up directly through my dash to the battery vs the cigarette lighter. swapped brackets on my dash so I could mount it on top.

New Battery on Wednesday. Optima Redtop. Been abusing my battery lately with the winch. The jeep went limp today and started to sputter and died again! No more, trickle charge last week didn't help. It's done and can't be having that **** happen again!

Gave the dirty beast a bath and long over due inside cleaning. Everything inside was covered in mud and dirt. I have NO clue how that happens!!

Will be ordering a dual battery bracket this week. Will be doing some research soon on how to best set up dual batteries. Ideally I want to isolate my AUX / winch stuff on one battery and run the jeep on the other. Also be able to run the jeep off the secondary in an emergency with a simple switch. Some nice pre built solutions out there but I don't like the price tag.

There are simple setups that work and comprehensive setups that work both with pros and cons. The first SAR Suburban had two different setups over time, with pros and cons.

I've gone totally simple with the Suburban. MANUAL switch. Luv it for me. Not for everyone! The trick is to leave them unconnected until you need them. And not drain both batteries mistakenly!

Cleaned the truck today, took an hour to get the mud off haha. Also did some touch up on my rims with bed liner, figured while I have it out I bed lined my rear bumper as well. I want to paint my rear diff cover next :)

post-698-0-62834800-1426466874_thumb.jpg

Shoveled out this damn new Volkswagon. That's what I did today. I never even considered when buying the wife a new car that I'd have to shovel the damn thing out. Plow buried it under a 7 foot drift, took 2 hours of digging to free it.

Will be ordering a dual battery bracket this week. Will be doing some research soon on how to best set up dual batteries. Ideally I want to isolate my AUX / winch stuff on one battery and run the jeep on the other. Also be able to run the jeep off the secondary in an emergency with a simple switch. Some nice pre built solutions out there but I don't like the price tag.

Keep me updated on your findings and I'll do the same. I've been considering this seriously for the past 3-4 months after using the winch for 30 minutes, over the better part of an hour, to haul timber from the wood lot and have the X sputter after that. Didn't stall, but almost died. It concerned me as I was only hauling 500-700lb over 50', 8-10 times.

Is your Jeep "drive by wire"? My Xterra is and I've seen some aftermarket dials that you can splice into the OEM pedal harness to adjust the resistance in order to rev the vehicle without pushing the accelerator.

I do not know the output of my alt and can't seem to find info anywhere, so this spring (or summer likely based on the snow), I'll be removing my Alt to have a test completed to determine the output at various RPM's mapped so that I could use the dial to properly dial in the RPMs to offset a load as much as possible while on the trail.

Cleaned the truck today, took an hour to get the mud off haha. Also did some touch up on my rims with bed liner, figured while I have it out I bed lined my rear bumper as well. I want to paint my rear diff cover next :)

attachicon.gif20150315_133410.jpg

The Fronty looks awesome; but don't bring it back to NS anytime soon; You'll have to take the lift out as it will not pass inspection!

There's a Silver Fronty in Truro that is now looking very small on 305's. He came back from AB with the 5" Calmini drop and had to have it removed. PEI has a 4" rule (combo of body or suspension lift) and I have "heard" that NS is going to follow the same in the next 18 months.

The Fronty looks awesome; but don't bring it back to NS anytime soon; You'll have to take the lift out as it will not pass inspection!

There's a Silver Fronty in Truro that is now looking very small on 305's. He came back from AB with the 5" Calmini drop and had to have it removed. PEI has a 4" rule (combo of body or suspension lift) and I have "heard" that NS is going to follow the same in the next 18 months.

On what grounds did he have to remove it?

This rumour has been going around about the 4" / 5" / bumper height rule for years.

This rumour has been going around about the 4" / 5" / bumper height rule for years.

There has been nothing. And if there was, you know it would be abuzz all over the NSJC forum, and all over FB. Not a peep on either...

There has been nothing. And if there was, you know it would be abuzz all over the NSJC forum, and all over FB. Not a peep on either...

Guys, I'll tell you both to look into the NS MVI laws; they have measurements into the "Highs & Lows" for the bumper measurements to pass inspection. I've had a 2" Body lift sitting in my basement for this reason!

I will state, for the record, that I have know of people having to remove air ride shocks (for the potential of being too low) and also for sub frame lifts (for being too high) in order to pass inspection.

Scott, your comment about 4-5" is about correct...so far. Command went from 32's to 33's and then added 5" of sub frame.

I'm sure if you went to the right shop you could get the mvi done no problems.

Not worried about the shop, worried about insurance!

In another thread, I posted about a friend who found himself sol when it came to a claim. His payments are done next year on a vehicle that was written off more than 2 years ago!

Insurance is the reason that I'm not going above 2 inches. Obviously I have no payments, but I want to minimize the chance of any problems down the road.

Even at 2" you are considered "modified", even though it looks very "stockish".

Devin, I know all about the minimum/maximum bumper heights, headlights have a min/max height as well etc. But there is nothing in the works on changes at this time that is being passed around.

If you have PLPD only insurance the companies don't care about the modified vehicle, because they wont be paying to fix it. As for people having to remove lifts and other items, they obviously didn't do their research and then didn't bother pursuing further.

This is a topic that has been discussed quite a bit, there is nothing currently to indicate anything we have is illegal. If you would like to discuss this topic please start a new thread guys, at this point we are :deadhorse:

If you have PLPD only insurance the companies don't care about the modified vehicle, because they wont be paying to fix it. As for people having to remove lifts and other items, they obviously didn't do their research and then didn't bother pursuing further.

This is a topic that has been discussed quite a bit, there is nothing currently to indicate anything we have is illegal. If you would like to discuss this topic please start a new thread guys, at this point we are :deadhorse:

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: is an understatement

Archived