• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm on my 3rd replacement horn in 2 years, so it was time to do something different this time :)
My mistake with previous horns was to just replace the horn where all the mud and water somehow works its way into the horn eventually killing it.
This time I replaced the oem horn with a Hella 003399803 Twin Supertone Horn kit, and relocated them to the engine bay so they stay dry(er)

Room in the engine bay is really tight, so I had to make a bracket to locate it above the cruise control motor.
71zWcAXCf8L._SL1500_.jpg
IMG_20150307_114153.jpg
IMG_20150307_115834.jpg
IMG_20150307_125549.jpg

No updates on my off-road rig, though I need to make some soon!

Got the struts out of the front end of the Miata today and managed to get one coilover installed. The driver's side strut gave me quite a fight to get it out so I ran out of time for the day before I could get the coilover in on that side.

Got brakes done today and some other tid bits, got different coils shipped up from the states this weekend, slightly taller but more importantly higher spring rate, got the rake I wanted back.

I carry way too much crap in the back, rides much nicer now, might also be the fresh set of mt tires compared to p rated studded nokians, none the less very happy.

DSC_0357.jpg

So last November I was struggling with the Scout tail light socket to get it past inspection. One side had been changed, but the other was corroded beyond repair. I worked at it for an hour, then gave up. The next morning I went to Part Source first thing and they found me a universal one that I rigged to fit. Then I took it for inspection and the guy basically said he looks at steering components and not so much at the lights! I believe that is true, lights are not tested anymore. But, I felt safer of course.

So Friday I was in Cdn Tire and wandered through the automotive section. And they had LOTS of various light sockets / pig tails. And one looked very familiar. There was a book but International Scout was not listed. And the book very helpfully said for vehicles not listed see the parts counter.. Yeah right, I thought with sarcasm. And I went over. And the look of the parts person did not instill me with confidence. They did not look like someone that had a great knowledge of automobiles. But they can punch buttons on the computer! And sure enough, IH Socut II was listed. And the light socket listed was one out on the shelf!

You see, many 60s - 80s and other years parts were installed across many North American vehicles. AC Delco / Remy electrical, Saginaw steering, DANA / SPICER, you get the picture!

Take a look! I guess it pays to shop! I was going to order the part in from the States or BC!

post-247-0-44734500-1426039245_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-25055400-1426039252_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-89897900-1426039258_thumb.jpg

fixed a bunch of power niggles

fixed the dead feed to my HF radio

fixed a bad connector to my CB

Installed a dual cigar socket behind the dash for;

a new micro usb cable through an air vent for my tablet mount

a cable through the dash, up the A pillar to the rear view mirror for my dash cam

.......then I broke connector on the dashcam :(

fixed a bunch of power niggles

fixed the dead feed to my HF radio

fixed a bad connector to my CB

Installed a dual cigar socket behind the dash for;

a new micro usb cable through an air vent for my tablet mount

a cable through the dash, up the A pillar to the rear view mirror for my dash cam

.......then I broke connector on the dashcam :(

Sounds like something that would happen to me too. Can You replace the connector or is it something not easily sourceable?

It's a bad (cheap) design on the usb socket, as the socket is just presented right off the circuit board.

If ojocam don't want to warranty it, I'll probably try and hard-wire the usb cable directly to the circuit board.....that's assuming the thing still works as it got into a crash-loop right after it happened.

Such a shame as it's a nice thing to have.

Archived