• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Found an old man and his wife in the ditch west of thunder bay last night, good amount of snow on the ground, he had come doen the hill spun out and went across the road into the ditch, I tried to pull him out and couldnt so i snatched it a few violent times all four wheels spinning hard and finally got him out but then i was worried i broke something, all seems okay now but i guess we will see, im in some little town called ignace.

He was driving a 4x2 mid 90s blazer

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you are going to lower your Jeep, Tyler?

Not as such no. Keeping my spacers, and adding the 4dr rubi springs I think will actually give me an inch or so over the almost 4 year old Rough Country springs I have in it. They've sagged a LOT over the last couple of years.

If I end up losing a bit I'll add bigger spacers to reclaim it.

Brand new off of Amazon, is $110, and no core charge.

I paid $125 for my TJ one new, including core($10), plus taxes, and had it same day at PartsSource... Never took the old one back, as I was planning to rebuild it. Now I can't find it :( ... It may have gone to the scrap yard with a bunch of other stuff last summer.

I know some of you folks are following my build on NSJC . Saturday my son Steve and I lowered the Samurai body down on the frame and rolled it out side . The first time in a year the body saw the sun .

IMG_2834_zpsoaaunubj.jpg

Guess this problem:

Feels like a bearing going bad

Quite a good vibration but a smooth vibration if that makes sense

Low to medium growl

Happens when going straight and applying any throttle load

Same conditions at pretty much any speed

Goes away when turning at speed

Trans? Front wheel bearings were changed recently... Driveline bearings? Damaged driveshaft? U joints?

Completed some "chemical" welding today. The inner mounting hole of the idler pulley bearing was spinning on the spacer. Used some JB weld to lock it in place. Finally, no more high pitched metal on metal squeal above 2k rpms ;)

36222-1_TOP_A__ra_p.jpg

I bet that was well worth your time! Good catch!

Guess this problem:

Feels like a bearing going bad

Quite a good vibration but a smooth vibration if that makes sense

Low to medium growl

Happens when going straight and applying any throttle load

Same conditions at pretty much any speed

Goes away when turning at speed

Trans? Front wheel bearings were changed recently... Driveline bearings? Damaged driveshaft? U joints?

Could still be front bearings, if they were cheap ones! Let's assume not. Rear axle pinion bearing?

Passenger side was about 14 months ago, replaced with oem.

Driver side was 4 months ago, replaced with premium already assembled bearing and hub combo.

Also wouldnt it get louder and vibrate more with increase in speed, and why does it go away when i load either side of the vehicle by turning at speed. Also the sound and most of the vibration goes away when i let off the throttle, im damn sure i know the symptoms of bad wheel bearings and this problem has got me pretty confused.

Archived