• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks much Devin, I've printed that off. I've never had to do the 'Manuel' way before, I always forget about it. I'll be trying it!

No problem. I did have to Google to be sure the reset was the same for the Rogue. It was the same on my 96 Pathfinder as well.

Not really "what" I did, but a decision I made. After keeping a set of 16" steel rims in my shed for the past 2+ years, I sold them.

Given the mileage (or should we start a new word "kilometerage", we are Canadian ;) ) I put on in a year (less than 10k), I made the decision to run 1 set of tires all year round.

In December, I'll be mounting Duratracs.

Just finished the last work on Turtle II (the Corolla, the original Turtle was a Tercel 12 years ago). Installed a new spindle (it was used, bought it for the wheel bearing), sway bar endlink, lower ball joint & outer tie rod and now, finally, some work can begin on the X.

Received notice that the UCA heim rod ends passed through customs today (ETA Thursday), new drive belt tensioner is here (warranty replacement), and I have the bolts to re-install the skid plates as well. This weekend is going to be busy, but after 5 months, I'll (fingers-crossed) have the X back to being ready for a trail run again...it's been too long!

I did score & install a "new to me" blower motor in the X this afternoon. The old one had a bad bearing and was squealing like a banshee from time to time.

Well not today but this weekend I installed 4 new winters with studs on the jk bring on the snow

I love my.studded winters.

Wheel bearing and hub bolt on assembly should arrive today or tomorrow :) gonna throw it on and get it aligned, just need to fix my skid plate and ill be ready to drive back out west again :p

i replaced the serpentine belt today. turns out the bearings in the belt tensioner pulley were destroyed. i have never seen a bearing in that state before. i bought the gates idler pulleys from Napa to replace all of them at the same time but 2 of them were missing the sleeve that goes in the bearing, so ill have to do that later this week

i replaced the serpentine belt today. turns out the bearings in the belt tensioner pulley were destroyed. i have never seen a bearing in that state before. i bought the gates idler pulleys from Napa to replace all of them at the same time but 2 of them were missing the sleeve that goes in the bearing, so ill have to do that later this week

I could be mistaken, but I think that you reuse the OEM sleeve/spacer. I replaced my idler & tensioner pulleys in May, so I can't be sure.

no, I bought 2 upper and 1 lower idler pulley. the lower is different and has a bigger sleeve. one of the two uppers i got had a new sleeve in the box, the other one didnt. both have the same part number. the oem sleeve is most likely pressed, its flanged on both ends and you cant take it out... anyways, there is no way i could reuse the oem sleeve, the puller didnt have a single bearing left in it and just came apart when i unbolted it. i have never seen something this bad my whole life.

thats what i get for that fun day around renfrew heading towards beaverbank...

So the original plan was to weld the winch plate directly to the frame, but after talking to a few folks with X's who have done just that, the consensus was to bolt on as they've had good welds crack.

Removed the bumper and frame horn cross brace, and test fitted the winch plate.
Welded some 2 inch square tube to the underside of the winch plate to give it some extra support and for mounting of tube bumpers and mounts etc.
Winch plate will be mounted to the frame with 4 x 1/2 inch grade 8.8 bolts.

2014-11-09%2B03-32-55-676.jpg

IMG_20141111_185940.jpg

2014-11-11%2B07-06-35-293.jpg

2014-11-11%2B08-29-39-852.jpg

Hope they work for you, from what i have learned from reading technical documents and such in my trade, a graded metric bolt is good for a dynamic load as opposed to a static load so they should be very good for winching or snatching! When in doubt go big!

It's actually coming along r e a l l y s l o w l y LOL. Right now I'm motivated to get the winch on.

Thanks for the offer tho, it's really appreciated as always :)

For the bolts, my frame horns taper as they go backwards. the front bolt in the photo is 4 inches. I guess I /could/ tear off the end cap and weld a nut on the inside of the frame....but that feels like too much work LOL

Archived