• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way back in May 2013 I fixed a nasty noise in the transmission during lockup that was caused by old transmission oil.
So I changed it and the problem went away. The plan was to run the new oil for only a few months, then do another change to flush out some more of the bad oil.
Well that didn't happen, and now I've picked up a loud humming when stationary and at certain RPMs.
My initial thought was the oil, so I changed it again....but whilst the oil was draning I found that it looks like I might have bent my transmission cross-member pretty good, and the exhaust is now resting on it....the noise!
Right now, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about that.
2014-09-20%2B01-08-59-788.jpg

Soft top off, hard top on. A little early this year. Don't think I'll bother switching next summer, so if anyone's looking for a good deal on a JKU soft top drop a line.

Did the same here too. And from the time I opened the doors, my dog jumped in the Jeep and wouldn't get out because she thought we were going wheelong, and didn't want to be left behind :P ! She ended up a happy pup, because she ended up coming with us tonight for the run.

After making several (5 so far) round trips from Canning to Weymouth towing a cargo trailer, and seeing how bad my gas mileage was, I ordered a Superchips Flashpaq from one of the dealers on JeepForum. On the first two loads of furniture, I was using a 7'x 14' tandem axle cargo trailer that was loaded to the hilt and got 25 litres/100km full and 30.5 empty. For the next three trips, I've borrowed a friends 5'x 10' cargo and yesterday, with just Debbie's motorcycle on-board, I got a respectable 18.4 litres on the trip from Weymouth. I'm hoping the Flashpaq will get me an improvement on regular driving as well as all the other benefits of the tuner.

After making several (5 so far) round trips from Canning to Weymouth towing a cargo trailer, and seeing how bad my gas mileage was, I ordered a Superchips Flashpaq from one of the dealers on JeepForum. On the first two loads of furniture, I was using a 7'x 14' tandem axle cargo trailer that was loaded to the hilt and got 25 litres/100km full and 30.5 empty. For the next three trips, I've borrowed a friends 5'x 10' cargo and yesterday, with just Debbie's motorcycle on-board, I got a respectable 18.4 litres on the trip from Weymouth. I'm hoping the Flashpaq will get me an improvement on regular driving as well as all the other benefits of the tuner.

Yeesh thats quite bad... In comparison i got around 17 l/100 with the same 7x14 at around 5k ish. You should be getting similar economy as our rigs are fairly similar.

Ouch I got 28.3 liters yesterday for 1200km in the semi, with aprox 23000lbs in the box.

It's time to do some maintenance to my K&N filter.

I knew it was filthy, but after taking the X through some deep dirty water last night, I wanted to check the air-box to see if my DIY snorkel had let any water in....and also clean the filter.
I didn't have a K&N kit available, so I cleaned the filter with some detergent, and gently cleaned out all the crud.
After a thorough rinse and dry in the sun, I used some transmission oil in a spray to oil up the filter.
Now it's as good as new, and I might get a couple of HP back too :)
I cleaned out the air-box of dust & silt from previous expeditions ;) There was a little dampness in the bottom, that was probably from the drain hole....I must put a check valve on that!
DSCF0111.JPG
DSCF0113.JPG
DSCF0121.JPG
DSCF0126.JPG
DSCF0127.JPG

Paper filters can completely collapse, clog, or worse yet completely disintegrate when wet. I've heard of the stories against K&N wet-oil filters, yet they are still in business. I have not researched it. For my old beast, there are no sensors to clog, and because it's so old you can't get the newer hi-performance dry filters for it anyway.

I always used to run K&N on my old early 80's Rabbit GTi's, but those Bosch K-Jet mechanical injection systems had no MAF to mess up. I also used them on the later Alfas I had without issue.

One thing I did notice on the X, was there was some oily build up on the MAF sensor when I bought the truck, probably from 11 years of neglect....but it cleaned off without any problems.

Maybe those Beemers are a bit more sensitive, IDK

Ive run one in mine for the last three years, i dont bother cleaning them just buy a new one for 60$ once a year, in fact mine comes in tomorrow at partsource, curious though as to what you guys would reccomend for cleaning the airbox? Would brake clean and a rag be too aggressive?

Archived