• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i flipped the spare carrier on my tailgate to fit the big spare. it gives it a different angle and clears the bumper. only downside now is i cant open the rear window and use my rear wiper. but its only temporary. i got plans in mind

If I flipped my tire carrier I wouldn't fit the donut spare from the :fuk: Stupid Pontiac :fuk: :P !

I need to open the tailgate in order to open the rear window on my hard top, or even to roll up the rear soft top window. The rear wiper is pointless on an almost perfectly vertical window too, I only ever plug in the harness so the defoster will work on the glass in winter. Being able to open only the glass without opening the tailgate would be nice though...

i flipped the spare carrier on my tailgate to fit the big spare. it gives it a different angle and clears the bumper. only downside now is i cant open the rear window and use my rear wiper. but its only temporary. i got plans in mind

Who needs the rear wiper with a 34" tire in the way anyway lol

Your family and neighbours must think you're mad as a hatter!

However I applaud your learning of vehicle maintenance, workings, modifications, etc. You are dialing in your rig nicely!

What was the resolution on the RR shock?

You might want a rubber joint before going up the a piller, it would suck having to cut the pipe if you need to change your windshield or something.

It should be installed between the air box & pipe fitting to the inner fender. This is a body on frame vehicle so the engine stays with the frame (motor mount flex aside) and the body has it's own rubber mounts.

I can see the head light hoops on the bumper of my X move about 1" (and more) when I flex off-road. When on road, they wiggle a bit even over railway crossings.

The rubber coupler I see in the pics Jay will take care of that.

Removed what was left of the air resonator and re-located the air temp sender to an end cap, and cemented and sealed it in place.
Looking at the bottom of the airbox, it looks like I may have had some moisture in there at some point.
What do you think I should do with the drain hole?
I guess it depends how water tight my hand work is, and how long I may or may not be under water - not that I plan on being under water.
2014-08-18%2B15.14.11.jpg
2014-08-18%2B15.14.25.jpg
2014-08-18%2B15.16.56.jpg
2014-08-18%2B15.21.14.jpg
2014-08-18%2B15.25.18.jpg

Your family and neighbours must think you're mad as a hatter!

However I applaud your learning of vehicle maintenance, workings, modifications, etc. You are dialing in your rig nicely!

What was the resolution on the RR shock?

Ahh they're all used to my shenanigans LOL

The RR shock...I just replaced it with longer Rancho RS5000's

Right now I really want to get a welder and start making some sliders etc

Fender on and painted.

I took the X for a ride to my sons soccer practice, and this thing makes a really loud howl...sounds awesome :-D

2014-08-18%2B17.07.35.jpg

2014-08-18%2B17.07.44.jpg

That looks great. Paint the ABS in a Neon colour and that would be better :p

Nothing as cool as Jay (BTW that looks pretty awesome!) but I hit 100,000kms :) Still stock suspension components amazingly haha.

100k...rolling on 176k, but then again I bought it 5.5 years ago with 136k. Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm not stock suspension ;)

Saturday - Dodge Diesel - A bit of disassembly.

Here is the t-case I bought on Friday night. And the pieces of the exploded one. Well, most of the pieces because the nose is still

attached to the transmission! I couldn't get the final bit unbolted, have to take the cross-member off for the last bolt. Oh, when I bought the truck these parts were in the bed!

post-247-0-91489100-1408443986_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-42473600-1408443992_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-48498600-1408443975_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-19633800-1408443981_thumb.jpg

Monday - Daily Driver @#$% Nissan Rogue

Changed the drivers door hinges, and glued the rear bumper scuff guard down where it was lifting. The car has just broke 102,000 km, and the rear scuff guard was already replaced once under warranty.

Bit of weight to hold it in place while the glue set!

post-247-0-39990100-1408444360_thumb.jpg

Spray bomb from NAPA to paint the hinges before mounting. Sprayed them on Saturday.

post-247-0-61878300-1408444371_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-28271200-1408444366_thumb.jpg

I put alignment marks on the hinges before mounting to help alignment. Got it aligned on the second try. You know, mount it all, try the door, if not aligned take it all back off, adjust the hinges slightly and put it all back on again.

post-247-0-88458400-1408444387_thumb.jpg

During the process. Tight fit for the wrench behind thee fender but much better than taking the fender off!

post-247-0-88799900-1408444376_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-84438800-1408444381_thumb.jpg

post-247-0-29016100-1408444393_thumb.jpg

Jay, what size pipe did you use and do you know if the airflow over the longer distance will compare to the stock setup?

This came up on the Xterra forums....the pipe i used is 2 inch, which is very slightly smaller than the stock inlet on the airbox. Some Xterra peeps are using 3 inch...IDK if they have the supercharged motor or not, but that larger size requires some major firewall/inner fender surgery. IDK if the size I installed makes any difference to performance due to inlet restriction, but I would assume the size/air volume would be on-par with a Safari snorkel that runs on the outside of the fender.

I have no sway bars front or rear, no front bumper cover and my spare wheel is on the roof....I don't drive very fast anyways :D

the thing though is if you reduce piping size, you might just have an increase in air velocity. your engine is basically a big air pump so i think that you should be fine. even if you had a 6 inch diameter intake, you still wouldnt be sucking more air.

I suspect unless you are at or near WOT, you won't have compromised your intake air flow noticiably.

However the noise may be an issue! I've often read never put your intake inside the cab except for dedicated mud bog only vehicles!

Archived