• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She definetly doesn't look like a restoration!

The Borgeson steering shaft has two u-joints instead of a rag joint and a slip joint. I couldn't feel any play in the old shaft by hand once I took it off. But I didn't try it in a vice with some leverage like a steering wheel. However with the new one there is no play/wander anymore, and you can even hear/feel the steering box a bit. Now I know the rag joint is to isolate the driver!

BREAK BREAK Miller Tire just called and said my truck is ready! Woo Hoo!

MVI, oil change, and I had them reverse the BFG ATs to be white letters in. I currently have the Krawlers on but I run the ATs in the winter and maybe for trhe Ledwidge Lookoff Rally, they are my 'civilized tires' instead of my 'mudder tires'!

i just finished replacing the parking brake on the truck ( shoes and all hardware ) and have to say it was the worst thing i ever had to do on a car. what a stupid design, were they high on bath salts when they designed that??? anyways one rotor was easy to install , the other will require some sledgehammer massaging to get on the shoes. tomorrow morning i ll install my new calpipers and pads and bleed the lines.

Screwed some loose trim down, filled the front diff (axle seals leak) after tightening the cover bolts (?), filled the wwf reservoir, filled the leaky T-case, re-torqued the body mount bolts after the run to town and back, trimmed the front fenders for those 37s, but didn't get the flares put on. I think I promised MVI I'd get them on tonight.... :ninja:

And my bro unloaded the ATs and loaded the truck gear (recovery, fluids, etc.)

Now to shower and bed and pack my food in the morning! :smiley-transport027:

HE LIVES! Welcome back to the forum Cory! Soft top should be excellent for the remaining summer :D

Thanks Mr!! I have been lurking now and then but have not been on much in the past few months.

Soft top is installed!! DId it saturday morning and it went fairly smooth......and I found out today that it does not leak!!

The TrekTop NX from BestTop is pretty solid. I like the look and so far quality is top notch(but only on day 3) and the price was right for me.

How goes the househunt Tom? any other exciting news that I have missed out on?

managed to remove the broken ball joint stud of the spindle :) wont have to bring it to a shop to get it pressed out. now i just have to wait for my new UCAs. they should be here between the 5 and 12 of august. then get my tires mounted, get an alignment at the same time and give the truck a good beating in the woods

Today I finally got my truck in for service.......3 days of service, but nonetheless lol ( they gave me a nice new rogue to drive around in while it was being serviced.....I felt so naked lol) Anyways It was in for it's 97000km "Overhaul" and to fix my rear axle seals...again. Discovered that it was the axle vent that was the culprit (not overly surprised) so they're cleaning it all out and putting in new seals, then I'm doing the axle vent mod :) It was clogged with mud and dirt but luckily nothing got into the gears so no damage done. Also my emergency brake cable has way to much play in it so I adjusted that, now it should actually stay on a hill.

I finally got off road up here so I will be posting a few pics :)

Just got home after picking up the X. Dropped it off this morning to get under coated @ 10am on our way to HFX for a family day. Got back at 8pm to get it on the way through.

I have 12 new holes (plugged) in some body panels and I cannot be happier. I'll take some pics tomorrow but, man, I'm glad that I went with Krown. There is not a part of the truck that got missed! They drilled 4 holes/side from the rear door dog leg through to the front fender! They even coated the backside of the front & rear bumpers, the engine bay, inside the doors (not the lower edge, inside the actual panels).

My brother and I Krown the Rogue, the '08 Dodge Diesel, and the Burban. Good points and bad points but we do it. The one thing I will say is, if you have to do a lot of engine work, shampoo the engine bay! The Krown never seems to dry there, and you will be covered in it! lol

anyone know much about LED's to mount to the Jeep. Seems to be lots offered out there but not all LED's are created equally and I would like to know of any experiences people have had before I really start looking to buy.

I will look up info I got a 31" light bar for about $250 on ebay.

Been doing some maintenance on mine, last week I replaced the Crankshaft and Camshaft Position Sensors and this week I took the Platinum plugs out and went back to Champion Coppers. Apparently, the 05 Hemi doesn't care for Platinum. I also replaced the original wires (186K) with Taylor Shorties. The factory setup had 1 cylinder firing one plug on compression and a different plug on exhaust simultaneously. It was called a 'Wasted Spark' system. So now the Shorties fire both sparkplugs per cylinder at the same time (16 plugs). It seems to be running better and I'm hoping my gas mileage will come back up to what it was before the Platinum plugs went in a few months ago. :king:

Replaced my broken rear KYB shocks with some Rancho RS5116s. The Ranchos are a few inches longer than the KYBs were and a lot fatter....whatever that means?
Also , the old KYBs were pre-loaded and would extend to their maximum length on their own, whereas the Ranchos do not. IDK what difference that would make either.
Of course I had to take the new setup for a test, so I ran the Pipeline, then took Highway #2 back from Old Guysborough Road to the Enfield Big Stop, then on to home via Highway #2 to Fall River.
Off-road the shocks performed perfectly as expected. On the trail I got some nice flex out of the rear end, the Xterra climbed the rocks without any drama, and I had no issues just plenty of fun :)
I run the Xterra with no front or rear sway bars. On the pavement the Ranchos felt a lot better than the old KYBs on the winding poorly maintained roads. There was no drama in the rear...actually a fun drive, where the KYB's used to feel a bit twitchy over the bumps.
So far I'm super happy with them, I also like the fact they come with a dust boot. :)
2014-08-02+13.59.26.jpg
2014-08-02+14.04.55.jpg
2014-08-02+15.22.52.jpg
2014-08-02+15.23.10.jpg2014-08-02+15.30.34.jpg
2014-08-02+15.30.59.jpg
2014-08-02+15.31.50.jpg
2014-08-02+15.37.07.jpg
2014-08-02+15.37.26.jpg

I've done much the same on mine, Jay. I put Monroe Load Levellers for a Ford F-150 on the rear, removed both sway bars and my WK actually has some articulation now. The LLs were longer than stock and raised my rear about 1.5" so now my rake is level. The travel is much greater than the stock shocks which had about 184K kms on them. The ride is still decent.

The dust boots will be nice, unless you get into mud. I've been told that if mud gets inside the boot, it can cause problems for your shocks. :king:

Don't ya love the way the truck feels without sway bars...I like it, it's not for everyone tho cause the X drives a lot different without them. But I drive like on old lady, so it don't matter ;)

I had to replace the shocks because I broke one on the MUD Run.

Thanks for the tip about the mud, I was wondering about that because the boot isn't air tight. They've got a lifetime warranty with Napa/Rancho, so we'll see how that works out ;)

2014-07-30+10.45.57.jpg

Archived