• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Woo hoo! Today my brother welded the 'captured nuts' I needed to be one stop closer to finishg re-building the body mounts. Now I can take the regular bolt/nut combo out, stick the captured nuts in, put the bolts back in, and weld up the holes in the floor! I just did not think the truck would pass inspection with four holes in the floor and you could actually see the ground! Pics to follow when I get back home and get back at 'er! Closer to MVI and M.U.D.!

They've been sitting on the work bench for 3-4, or more, months! lol And they needed to be finished before I could install the rock rails, one of the rock rail lateral supports is underneath a body mount. I'm hoping the rock rails also stiffen the frame. They basically go the full length of the straight part of the frame between the two axles!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

worked on my skid plates for a bit, and then noticed a nasty power steering fluid leak coming out from the seal where the shaft enters the rack assembly. will have to fix that this week

• 2 weeks later...

finished my skid plates today and primed them, tomorrow i will give them 2 coats of paint and mount them on wedneday or thursday.

i ordered a Toytec 3" lift kit sunday and should install it next week. i will post pics of the skid plate tonight or tomorrow in my build thread. still have to finish up the transmission oil pan skid, a diff guard, and a transfer case guard and then i ll be happy

My bro's '08 Cummins with 22X,000+ km was throwing codes and going into limp mode. He researched and started changing plugged filters and cleaning plugged sensors. Here was one of the ones he changed. Truck is working again but he has at least one more to change, the 'Intake grid heater'. That is an air pre-heater for the winter that sits in the intake, these engines don't use glow plugs. And it is likely very sooted up.

post-247-0-67642000-1404988214_thumb.jpg

I guess this fuel filter was overdue! It looks like it was even collapsing! Don't ask how many kms were on it............

installed my skid plates on the truck today. i also finshed some transmission oil pan skids for my buddy's '11 Tacoma and installed them.

Interested in making a full set for mine? $$$$$! :)

i didnt do any sketches but would be fairly easy to replicate for other fj cruisers. i would also do a couple things differently since it was my first set ever built.

it wouldnt be hard to build a set for you Sam, we would need to take a lot of measurements. the one i know for sure is next time, I'll take a million measurements, come up with detailed sketches, bring them to a shop that does laser or plasma cutting, then weld it all together. cutting with an angle grinder and zipper wheels sucks a lot, takes a lot of time and not precise enough for both my standards and also the guy i fabbed them with who has serious OCD issues hahaha.

I dont think Rob has any sketches as he built them with Iannick and I'm pretty sure they did like me, no templates and straight to metal.

We can talk about it saturday.

i forgot to mention, the FJ's handling hasnt changed. it might even help give it a better gravity center when you think about it, it wouldve probably been a lot worse with the weight on the roof. i took the rear swaybar off last weekend so it tends to roll more now but its okay, i didnt buy to be a racecar and the lift kit will correct that with the increase spring rate

i forgot to mention, the FJ's handling hasnt changed. it might even help give it a better gravity center when you think about it, it wouldve probably been a lot worse with the weight on the roof. i took the rear swaybar off last weekend so it tends to roll more now but its okay, i didnt buy to be a racecar and the lift kit will correct that with the increase spring rate

People usually take off the front and leave the rear sway bar do yo

Have a a reason?

i read a lot about it, and all the folks with Fjs remove the rear to get more articulation and say the front dives and rolls a lot more without it. i barely noticed not having the rear. to me, the FJ turns about as good as someone can skate with broken ankles, so not really impressive haha.

Archived