• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to say I haven't done anything yet all winter... but I have put some thought into realignning my priorities slightly... was going to work at engine and gearbox change and then pick away at other stuff once it's mobile. But I've come to the conclusion that once it's mobile I will not want to do a ything other than the minimum to keep it mobile!

With that in mind, I think I will pick up some supplies for a new bumper and rock sliders, build them and send them to the galvenizer along with my rims which are starting to rust... then work at the engine and gearbox while that stuff is away!

I know there is a fair bit of choice for metal stock, anyone have any recommendations for a particular supplier? Perhaps more importantly, any poor experiences?

Yup.....everyone was driving by slowly while I sat there licking my rim hahaha. Upon further investigation that didn't involve licking rims, tasting things or peeing on the other rim to compare results I'm 90% sure it's the axle seal again.

Well go figure....it was the other 10%. Tore everything apart today and could not find a leak anywhere, nothing. Gonna wash it off and see if it comes back, it's on my rear quarter panel as well.......kind off a black liquid so I was thinking gear fluid at first but I dunno now.

Well go figure....it was the other 10%. Tore everything apart today and could not find a leak anywhere, nothing. Gonna wash it off and see if it comes back, it's on my rear quarter panel as well.......kind off a black liquid so I was thinking gear fluid at first but I dunno now.

Brake fluid, maybe?

Sounds like tail light fluid to me.

I agree with James - check your brake fluid reservoir.

Sounds like tail light fluid to me.

That reminds me, the :fuk: Stupid Pontiac :fuk: is getting low on tail light fluid both sides AND blinker fluid on the front passenger side. I am going to have to park it outside tonight in the rain so they can get topped up :P ! Get to park the Jeep in the garage tonight :smiley-dance005: !!!

Super chip showed up today. Happy so far with the results. Not earth shattering but certainly can tell a difference on hills. Nice to have the speedo adjusted also. Set to octane 91 however I still got 3/4 of a tank of 87. Expecting even better performance with the right juice!

Super chip showed up today. Happy so far with the results. Not earth shattering but certainly can tell a difference on hills. Nice to have the speedo adjusted also. Set to octane 91 however I still got 3/4 of a tank of 87. Expecting even better performance with the right juice!

I have a Super Chips programmer as well and wouldn't think twice in regards to purchasing it again. I can't re-cal the speedo, but it allows me to remove the OEM wide-open-throttle nanny. OEM, only 40% of the power goes to the wheels until you hit ~40km/hr. Superchips maps the ECU to be ~70% until 40 km/hr.

I've played with the 91, 89, 87, towing & fuel saver and 87 it the best for my application.

Hmmm, for mine it says 21.9 HP @ 5900 RPM and 19.4 TQ @ 3900 RPM. I wonder what kind of mileage gain you'd see with the mileage tune?

It says that it uses the Jeep Flashpaq 3872. Can you buy these used, or once used, are they locked to that vehicle?

U can buy them used but make sure it was unlocked from vehicle.Look at the specs for 98 grand Cherokee 5.9...80 ft pounds of torque at 2000 rpm with a motor rated at 345 tq stock......and my tj has a 5.9 in it lol and its chipped and I can peel the 36s right of her

• 2 weeks later...

My rims are plasti dipped, so are the plastic strips behind my rear side glass, and my gas door. The wheels have been done since before the summer, and they have only peeled a bit, and that's after going through mud, rocks and ice.

The stuff holds up better then most people believe it will. Just make sure the surface is prepped and clean. Oh, my rims are also chrome, and I only gave them a light scuffing and cleaning before applying two coats.

Here's one of my rims after about 6 months.

null_zps8ac7008e.jpg

Archived